Request for back to back 15 mile races training advice

Hi everyone

My first post here having only just joined.

I am doing the half lake run around Lake Balaton in Hungary as a pair March 21-22. To do that I will have to run 2x15 mile races on the Saturday and the Sunday as part of a team - thought that the full event was a bit much for me this time!

My question is what sort of training programme should I follow? 

I have been running for about 4 years, finish half marathons at about 1:45 and completed the Dublin marathon in October just gone. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks and Happy New Year

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I would guess that a marathon training plan would be the way to go as it will help you build / keep endurance. As you are essentially doing 2 halves I would suggest you will need to make a conservative effort on the Saturday and then go for it on the Sunday if you have it in you.

Practicing doing pairs of semi long runs at the weekends would be an obvious way of ensuring that the body is ready for it, but I don't think you can prepare it for racing all out 2 days in a row, hence suggesting you take Saturday easy.

An expert will probably be along shortly though!!

Good luck!
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Different people react differently to running races two days in a row. Many do find it difficult to race both and I have seen people race the first and take the second easy or the other way around. A few people can race both.

The main training will be building up double weekends. Doing maybe 10-12 on the Saturday and then the same or longer on the Sunday.Personally I wouldnt go much above 16 miles or so in training in any oen run.  

• Gideon, Keith

Thanks very much for your replies. Both have some great advice which brings a little more clarity for me when constructing a useful schedule. The running easier on the first day in Hungary and building in two long training runs at the weekend will definitely be included.

The other factor I have is that I will be running a half marathon 3 weeks later and would like c to PB on that if possible. 

Thanks again

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Well good luck and come back and update this as you make progress. It is always interesting to see how different approaches go.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Keith L wrote (see)

Different people react differently to running races two days in a row. Many do find it difficult to race both and I have seen people race the first and take the second easy or the other way around. A few people can race both.

The main training will be building up double weekends. Doing maybe 10-12 on the Saturday and then the same or longer on the Sunday.

I'd agree with Keith's statement above. it's important to get used to running on tired legs.

• Thanks very much E mmy.  That got me thinking (which is unusual for me!), is there anything different or additional that I should do to recover between the two consecutive long runs both when training and during the race, that is out of the ordinary when recovering after a normal single long run?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I normally eat some protein or drink some chocolate milk if I have back to backs. It depends on the distance between. I'd make sure that you're eating and stretching within an hour of finishing the first one.

Sorry for the delay - I was running a back to back marathon this weekend!

• Thanks for that E mmy and well done for the event! 

• Yes - apart from normal replenishment nutrition, I'd give CurraNZ a go, which sorts out DOMS and reduces muscle tissue damage/inflammation. Interesting research too showing that it improves endurance in runners.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the spammery Jim!