How often to change shoes - advice pls!!

I bought some new Asics 8 weeks ago in advance of running a marathon, which were great - no rubbing, blisters etc - but have obviously done a fair number number of miles in them since then (just under 500). Went out this week after a rest day and acquired an enormous blister across my instep - thought it might be a one off occurence, but it's not. Using same socks etc, so can't work out why now?? Only explanation seems to me that the shoes have changed in some way and are rubbing where they didn't rub before...

Know that you are supposed to change shoes after this sort of mileage, but for those training for a marathon, and therefore running these sort of distances, do you really change shoes every 8 weeks-ish??? Any advice gratefully received

Comments

• Hi Gecko,

Sounds like you've had a very energetic couple of months... Normal advice is to change your shoes around the 300 - 500 mile mark, and it certainly sounds like you've given them a pounding, so it's very likely that they're shot already.

One thing I would say is that it's well worth getting two pairs of shoes and alternating them. In The Competitive Runners Handbook, Bob Glover says that two pairs of shoes alternated will last for as long as three pairs of shoes used consecutively.

HTH
    venom
  • Thanks for the advice Venom - changed the shoes and all is once again blister free - will give alternating two pairs of shoes a go.
  • JezJez ✭✭✭
    Is there anyway to tell when your shoes have had it if they don't cause any obvious problems? I already alternate between a pair of Asics 2060s and 2070s - was injured for ages so still using the 2060s isn't as bad as it could be - but am slightly concerned if the shoes are dead and I keep using them I'll end up injured again? Any advice gratefully received.

Jez