RW F7 – Searching for 3:09

Comments

• Some great advice there CD, I do try and look at my watch only every mile to see if I'm still on target. But it's like you said there is more sense in spending my energy on more important things like getting to the finish in one piece. looking at my watch every 10 secs will not get me there any quicker!

away out for a gentle run see how I get on!

Report back later. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Rich - npt sure on VLM as I want to do a 1/2IM two weeks later. two months ago I was defo not doing VLM, now I think I'll regret it if I dont. I need to decide soon so I can up the miles (although I have been building run frequency).

• https://www.strava.com/activities/245035285

went out and did a 7.5 miler and just went out and ran. was okay and feeling fine now. just a few coughs which is expected. 

TR- hard decision! If you have the place(obviously GFA or Champ?)then do it Get your GFA for next year but take it easy and then Really go for it in your half! 

• CD there are two halves in a race. 20 and then the last 6miles 385yards. Thats a great saying but maybe I should forget about that on the day as it might put me off a tad! 

The route I did tonight was a testy one and I did well to sustain the pace.  It felt easier than I had expected and I did it slightly quicker than I had anticipated.

Today the diet has been back to usual,

4 weetabix, glass of veg juice 200ml, actimel and a coffee for breakie.

banana, 2 satsumas, apple and a black coffee for break

4 slices of wholemeal bread, can of mackerel in spicy tomato sauce, lemsip.

glass of milk 1/2pint and tiny choc bar pre run.

Pasta, chicken(breast), mushrooms, pesto and a glass milk 3/4pint.

1 tiger beer and a glass of red wine, with babybel and olives.

quite a light dinner as I knew I was having a few drinks. If I can keep this eating habits up then the weight should fall off! 

Current weight 204lbs as of post run. Seems to be coming down as a nice rate.

• Nice to be back running, eh Rich?  Pretty good for an easy run.

• CD - Aye! image see how I feel in the morning and might head out for 10 later in the day. Have a race on Sunday so would like to feel better and up for it by then but 10 won't kill me too much! image

Are you doing much this weekend? Any long cycles or duathlons coming up? 

• Hopefully you're out running Rich.

Not much planned this weekend, apart from ferrying kids around.  I got my long run in yesterday (21@6:54) then this morning had an easy run over to the local parkrun, ran a couple of extra laps with a mate who was trying to get a long run in, then home for 13 in all.  I'll get out on the bike tomorrow if I can fit it in.

I'd like to have a duathlon planned, I usually do the Spring Ballbuster over Box Hill as my pre-London race, but they're not running it this year.  I should find something else in March, but not a 20 mile race, I've overdone those too often.  I do have a half marathon in a couple of weeks.

• That's great running there CD, Great pace for a long run. I couldn't sustain that for a half! You are as they say a machine! I've got all that ferrying kids around to look forward to in a few years!

I'm erring on the side of caution and having a night off. My race is cancelled tomorrow so going out for a 15 miler instead. 

I don't fanny racing a 20 miler at any time. Strange distance. I imagine that would be very tough!

What sort of time are you looking for in your half? 1:20ish?? Phew!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - im doing a duathlon at goodwood motor cct in march. I hve run there before. Might be a bit boring though as its only 2.5m per lap.
  • TR-  At least you could see where your competitors are!  There is one in my neck of the woods, Braemar to Aberdeen Cycle run Cycle you need a support team though so put me off. One day though.....

• Oh well that wasn't good. Went out for my LR and made it 2 3/4 miles had a coughing fit and had to walk home! Oh well, looks like I'm out for a few days again! I've tried everything to shift this chesty cough and no joy! might try a bath tonight and a pan of water with a towel over my head! image

Am I ever going to get going with my training?? Argh!! So frustrated.image

• Does anyone have any home remedies for lurgy????image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Rest is all you can do for now, otherwise it will take longer to go. Its still early days yet in the campaign.

• TR- Thanks, It's hard to rest up but it's needed. Early to bed and get some valuable rest. I'll give it longer this time at least until I feel 100% again.

• Rich - are you on any medication or seen a doctor. I always try and ride these things out naturally, but sometimes best to get advice as you might need antibiotic if a bad chest infection.

CD  - an awesome long run there @ 6.54 pace, is that your normal long run pace? What sort of weekly mileage do you average?

14 miles yesterday with 6 in the middle between 6.58 - 6.47 pace.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Rich - hello!

I'll be following.  Hope you're on the mend soon.

i haven't totally caught up with the thread yet but see you're from Petrrhead!  I'm in Strichen - member of Fraserburgh RC.  My targets this year aren't dissimilar to yours.  Targeting sub 3 at Edinburgh Marathon.  I'll be running at Invrness HM and Garioch HM in March.  HM PB is 86:03 but I don't have the marathon experience you have - did a couple in 2012 before I was running (did them for charity) and forgot to train...  4:24 is my PB.

I also have a 2 year old daughter but recently went self employed, working from home so fitting the training in has been quite easy as I can run whenever I like to a certain extent.

Once you're better, we should hook up for a run sometime!!

• KR - It was a bit quicker than normal, I'd generally hit MP + 60 to 90s, so 7:00 to 7:30, depending on the route.  Friday's was mainly flat, nice and firm on the trails and a cool morning, so it ended up a bit quicker than usual.  It was pretty even paced, I'm happy with it but I wouldn't do a long run that quick closer to a marathon.  I usually run the last one on an off-road route to avoid any temptation for a fast pace.

Weekly mileage varies depending on how much cycling I'm doing.  I've run marathons on less than 40 mpw, but that's with a lot of cycling thrown in.  Last year I must have averaged closer to 50 in the marathon season.

• Quick update, KR- been to the doc(who's a runner) gave me a course of antibiotics. So hopefully be on the mend soon.

CC82- great target your going for. Edinburgh is a good marathon. Only did it once. Be great to hook up for a run some time. You'll have to apply the brakes slightly image be good to see your progress on this thread.

CD- that's really fast for a LR, making everyone jealous on here image only kidding, heat run.

Get a better update later when I'm home. Hate typing on my phone image
  • sensesense ✭✭✭

Rich - found you on strava, so will follow progress there too.  Between chest infections, antibiotics, work offshore, and more usual challenges of living in the cold north it sounds like you've not got it easy at the moment.  Stick in 

• Sense- yeah thanks, I've been following your thread too with envy image your training is going great! Hope you enjoyed your weekend away. Sometimes a break is good for you. Only I've had too many breaks these last few weeks though. I'll follow you also and that way I can see properly how your training is coming along.

CD I will take three nights off and then kick start from there! Hopefully the infection will have evaporated! I know I'm running well just now I just need to start getting more miles in, patience is the key.... image
  • Glad to hear you have the medication now Rich.

Still a cracking pace CD, you must be in good form at the moment. I"ve found the traffic free routes are best too, as you can get a good rhythm going and there are no distractions like crossing roads etc. and unbroken running bodes well for uninterrupted race conditions too. I'm impressed that you can achieve the marathons times you've got off that weekly mileage, although I guess the volume of the cycling plays a part too.

• KR- thanks. On the cycling note, I am starting to think that cycling us the way forward to faster marathon times. All the triathletes on here are extremely Good runners. Mixing up the training is the way to go by the looks of it.

Right need to get into my garage and sort the bike out!
  • KR- It's great where I'm from for running uninterrupted. Normally I can run for my LR's on the country roads and only be passed by a few cars. Some stretches you never see a sole! The old railway line is great too but not good for inclines!

CD- have you always been a whippet or did you work up to that speed? image

CC- could do a long run starting in Longside when I'm all better?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Rich - get yourself turbo trainer its aerobic gold. Cycling orutside has lots of stop starts and junctions etc I only go outside Iif I have more than 90min to spare.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Rich - sounds good. I'm sure we'll get something sorted. I do loads of running on the old railway line. Mostly at the Strichen/Fraserburgh end though. I try to get along to the track at Peterhead every now and again but not for a while as the wind up there will have been horrendous lately!! Are you on Garmin Connect or just using Strava?
  • Turbos are OK but you can't beat a good hill climb on a bike.

You'll be back running soon Rich, but don't let CC drag you round a long run just yet! 

I'm all for unbroken running too - I really don't like XC, all twists and turns and ups and downs, I just can't get a rhythm going at all.

• TR- I have one and been on it a few times. What's the deal with them? Sorry to be naiveimage but it appears you stay on one gear and change the resistance to get your workout. Is that right or do you change gears as well as the 1-5 resistance levels. If I left it in one gear wouldn't that wear the cogs?? 

Wow, I know nothing about these things! Can you guys shed some light?? I did like using it and running after it felt harder! not only running with jelly legs but the fact your running with a pad on your a**e image

• What have I done? Amazing what a chat to a friend at a MC meeting does! I went and entered a 40 mile Ultra, The Clyde Stride! There's a saying in Scotland for this! Aff ma hied!

CD- yeah I'm not going to be dragging myself on any long runs just yet. Know what you mean about XC never get into a rhythm. Still feeling rubbish today but only started the course so should be a few days before I see the results. Don't know what to do with my time when I'm not running! image

CC- Yeah the line is great for running on. What's it like your end? quite hilly I imagine? Few of your guys are doing the XC races with me. Although slightly quicker I believe! Always get a good banter with the Broch lot though! What time are you looking for in March? 83-84?? I was going to try and get under the elusive 90 but might be tough considering my training in the last few weeks has taken a proverbial nose dive! 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Rich - everywhere is hilly round here - the line 'feels' flat to me though!  You doing the KR Steel XC Series?  I entered it but missed the first 2 races.  Will be doing Haddo on 8 Feb though.  Not sure yet re: March HM target but if I'm realistically on for sub 3 I'll need to be hitting sub 85 at Inverness I think.  Garioch will be a training run because it's a hilly brute. Marathon pace so sub 90 mins.

• Rich, leave the turbo resistance the same and change gear instead for increasing effort.  Think of resistance as gradient out on the road, the higher the resistance the steeper the slope.