RW F7 – Searching for 3:09

Comments

• CD thanks, that makes sense. So the last few workouts I've been up and back down a 30 min hill. image I do like the trainer. It's a change from running .

CC- yeah its that series, 2 down and 2 to go .
  • wow, really is frustrating being off my training, but it's for the greater good! 

Hope everyone else is tearing up the roads, treadmills or water? 

• Trying to Rich. Tempo 10k this lunchtime.  How are you feeling, any better?

• CD- It's hard to determine whether I'm actually getting better. I'd say (not being too rude) that the phlegm is not so bright today? image I would say I was worse yesterday so getting better, which is great news.

10k tempo. Now here's a question. Pace wise for that workout? would you start slow and gradually increase pace until your at your desired tempo pace, hold it there for lets say 15 mins then start to slow down. or would you sustain a tempo pace for the whole 10k? as I see it there are those two ways to do the tempo workout which is best?

• I'd try for even effort, but with a little caution at the start so that I can either hold it for the run or pick it up a little in the last few km.  Better than starting too fast and having to slow down, I think.  I go by perceived effort rather than trying for a specific pace, which can vary depending on conditions, route, what I did the day before, all sorts of reasons.

• Yep! makes sense. I kind of did tempo runs without actually calling them so then. I would have called them a progressive run. Building up the pace throughout the run finishing fast and also feeling invigorated at the end and not knackeredimage

Are you on a cross training day tomorrow after your tempo today? DO you like to do a few workouts in a day? Swim/run  Swim/bike cycle/run?

• CC- sub 85 is a great target. I did the race back in 2007, it was my first half marathon and I did it in 1:40. So should hopefully do a lot better than that. At least tumble my p.b of 1:33:07? We'll see. image
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Rich - if you get the training right, there's no reason you can't take a chunk off that PB.

My HM PB's have gone like this:

2009 - 1:54:xx (after bugger all training)

2013 - (May) 1:37:33 (after following fairly closely the FIRST Run Less, Run Faster training programme)

2014 - (May) 1:33:42 (on the back of 10k training (6x per week training), so not really an all out effort) - (Nov) 1:26:03 (on the back of proper HM focussed training (6x per week), all out race effort.  And neither of those two HMs last year felt that hard!!

I've had a really solid 2 months of training since that last HM and hopefully I can build on that for another 6 weeks or so before Inverness and take a chunk out of that PB to go sub 85 at least.  See how it goes!!

• Sounds like a great plan you have there! That's my problem with half Marathons, I never actually train for them they always fall within marathon training. One day I will train specifically for one.
  • Day 3 of no running and coming to grips with it! Looking forward to a wee jog tomorrow to see if I'm okay. will try a few miles at a slow pace and see how I'm holding up. I might do it on the treadmill in case I have to stop quicklyimage.

• On the plus side, it's illness rather than injury.  Once you're over it you'll get back to speed fairly quickly, but do make sure you're over it first!

• Yeah, No problem. Feet up till the lurgy is gone! starting up again too soon would put me back and we don't want that! I'd rather do a marathon slightly slower than not at all!

Hope your well today CD. It's a shame I ain't got any training to share with you, I'm making your mentoring awfully boring, Sorry image!  If this were a doctor -patient thread you'd be snowed under! image 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

If it's any consolation rich - it was bloody windy out there today!!  Had a few good days weather wise for the training but today was a bit on the breezy side and the snow started just after I got back!

Last few days have been:

Sunday - 1:45 easy (13.8 miles @ 7:37 pace)

Monday - 30 mins recovery (3.78 miles @ 8:05 pace)

Tuesday - 4 x 10 mins threshold (6:23 pace / 6:22 / 6:28 / 6:23)

Wednesday - 60 minutes easy (8.01 miles @ 7:46 pace)

Feeling pretty good just now - just hope it continues...!

• CC- that's a great week! Nice long run. That would be too fast for mine, I do mine 30 secs slower. But massive difference in how I'd feel the next day as in muscle soreness.

Nice reps too. Sounds hard like! Glad you feeling on it! Keep it up!

what you up to tonight?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Rich - it's amazing how big a difference the training has made over the past couple of years (and last year in particular).  Two years ago, that threshold pace from Tuesday was the pace I was doing 400m reps!!  I should be able to hold that pace for a full hour now.  I wasn't too far off that average pace in the HM PB (about 6:33 I think).  It constantly amazes me how much we can improve.  A few years ago I wouldn't have thought a sub 40 10k / sub 90 HM would have came so easily.  Now I'm thinking about how long it will be until I can go sub 80...

I'm away to head out for session 2 of the week shortly.

10 mins @ 10k pace (aiming for about 3:48-3:52/km), 75s recovery

Then 6 x 800m @ 5k pace off 75s recoveries (aiming for about 3:40-3:42/km or 2:55-2:58 per rep).

Would prefer to be over to Peterhead to do this sort of thing on the track, but I'll need to make do with the railway line beside Strichen...!!  Hopefully it isn't too slippy after the snow we got yesterday!  It's looking pretty sunny out there, so fingers crossed!

• That's magic how quickly you've come on! Your pace has come on leaps and bounds. You'll have to come through to peterhead some Tuesday when I'm doing my 800's as I'm not that much slower than you. I do them at 3:05 ish, well try n stick to that. I can do mile reps at 6:30mm but have 2 mins recovery. Can do them anywhere right enough.

you are lucky in the sense you can train whenever you like. I'm stuck to certain times of the day and my wife is a nightmare with backing me! She would quite happily see me give up running as she sees it as a waste of time. One day she'll understand.

Still I'll today, cannot see the end of this in sight! If I'm not better tomorrow I'm gonna have to try something?
  • That's a good set of reps on Tuesday CC.  If you can hit sub 6 minute miling pace for your 800m session tonight it'll make your HM PB pace seem like a walk, you'll be knocking on the door of 80 minutes pretty soon I would think.

That session is very similar to my standard marathon training interval session: 7xhalf mile, 2 minute recoveries.  I'll do some mile reps nearer race day.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Session went well, all things considered.  The old railway line is a mix of snow, mud, water and ice...

10 minutes @ 10k pace which did happen to be uphill and into a slight wind...

Came out at 6:16 per mile.  A touch slower than intended and slower than recent 10k intervals I did (but they were only 4 minute intervals and not all uphill!).  Still in the 10k pace range though, so happy with that.

6 x 800m came out at:

2:57.1

2:57.7

2:57.6

2:57.0

2:56.4

2:56.6

All comfortably quicker than 6min/mile and marginally quicker than 5k PB pace so very happy with that.

Rich - I'm hoping to get to the track over the next couple of weeks but it will likely be Thursdays and during the day.  The track sessions are in the schedule for Tuesdays but I'm going to be away up to Inverness for work on Monday, which means Dad duties on Tuesday instead of the usual Monday so running in the dark early on Tuesday - better to do the threshold sessions rather than the speed sessions in the dark!!

And - there's a possibility that I'll be going down to Durham (!) of all places for a few months 3 days a week.  If that comes off, there will be no Peterhead track sessions for some time!!

• CC- you couldn't get your reps closer together if you tried. Great effort, and on a muddy path! I'd be eating mud running behind you lol.

well they say work comes first but I like to put my running first sometimes image Durham that's a fair bit away I'm sure they'll have a track for you to speed around?

you can relax for the rest of the day now you have that out the way before the snow came and the darkness!
  • NO run again from me tonight! Some people are going to think that getting a sub 3:15 is easy following this thread! Starting work a little later tomorrow as I'm on a training course. So might try a wee run in the morning if I'm feeling better. Nothing to strenuous. or maybe a swim? What do you think CD? need to do something even if it is just a long walk!  

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    So long as you're feeling better perhaps a 30 min recovery pace run or even 20 mins? Or even walk/jog type effort perhaps? It's always important to not try to throw yourself right back in. I'm sure you know that though. A few easy days at the very least before trying to step it back up.
  • Yeah sounds good CC. See how I feel.image

• If you're feeling OK then running should be fine Rich, it's not like you're coming back from an injury.  A few easy days to get back into it though, don't jump straight in with CC's sub 3 minute 800s.  That's very even pacing CC, especially with only 75s recovery, nice one.

• CD- That's great, I'll just have a slow jog. Just to get out the house.

CC- that is short recoveries! I have 3 mins on Yasso'simage

• Good reps there CC82, very consistent pacing.

Hope your run goes ok in the morning Rich. it will be good to get back in to it. Like CD says, it's not injury that you are coming back from, but ease back into that groove.

Pleasing 8 miler in av 6.57 pace tonight in the slush. First 2 miles were easy, then 3 HMP, 2 MP then 1 easy. Splits came out at 8.13, 8.04, 6.28, 6.09, 6.19, 6.40, 6.43, 6.58. Turns out the last easy mile wasn't “easy” but pace felt comfortable so carried on. The HMP miles were a little bit quicker than I thought but I going on feel rather than garmin data/splits.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

That's a tasty run that one Kr.  I'm yet to do any of these HMP / MP sessions that everyone does.  Looking forward to it though - sure it won't be long image

• That's a great work out there KR. Looking good buddy. Your going for the sub 3 aren't you? Both you and CC can't wait to see how your training unfolds! Your both really going well. Keep it up.

Kr- your doing Manchester with me only a little quicker. CC your doing Edinburgh, hope that's right!

you all booked up accommodation wise?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Rich - yeah that's right.  Booked up for accommodation yeah.  For a change we're well organised!

30 mins easy for me today. 8:00/mile.

Brings up just shy of 196 miles for the month.  I'll be doing my long run tomorrow instead of Sunday for a change so I'll be up to nearly 210 miles for January.  Think my biggest before now is 165ish!

• Nice session KR.  Out of interest, any particular reason for doing it that way round (HM pace, then MP)?  Some people like to do progressive runs, which would imply doing the MP miles before HMP.   I guess it does make the MP seem a little easier.  Good to go on feel - if your pace feels to fast in a marathon then it probably is, regardless of what your GPS says.  Based on that session, 6:50 for the first mile in Manchester is going to feel super easy.

Mind you, some people end up running their marathon with that kind of pace profile - stuck in traffic for the first couple of miles, panic and speed up to HMP to get back on target, then slow to MP.  Problem is, MP won't last long after that!

• That's something I'd like to know CD and KR, what's it like at the start of Manchester is there a lot of space or are we going to be a bunch of sardines fighting for space all stuck at the same pace? image