Options

RW F7 – Searching for 3:09

Comments

• Options

KR- 7:06 is that close to your MP? And doing that pace in the middle of a LR rocks! Hats off! Also 20 at my finess levels I think would finish me off! lol Good for you. Like Dave says I'm just going to get out and get the miles on the board this week and try next week to get back into some hills or 800's etc. If I can run well in the XC then it's time to ramp up the training.

CD- thats great pace for 10 miles, that's quicker than my 10k pace so again in this comment my hats coming off! image

Yeah Im just going out and logging the miles this week. Will try and get out tonight for a few.

It's funny as Last year I smashed all my P.B's and I feel like I'm going to do that again this year with the help of you guys!

I know that illness will fade out soon enough and I'll be back punishing myself again soon! image

• Options

Following your thread Rich , hope you can get back to full fitness soon.image

• Options

Thanks Leslie, I have been on the 3:15 thread recently but there are just too many people and I lose track what everyone is up to! Are you looking forward to London and do you have any feeler races beforehand?

Feeling better today and might pop out for a few miles to get rid of some muscle soreness and see if the HR is behaving!image

• Options

Well I went and ventured out as far as the garage and had a wee run on the treadmill. 4 and a half miles with 3 at MP. Felt fast on the treadmill probs because it was a last minute thrown in workout that I just wanted to end. image

Few splutters but chest feeling a lot clearer than yesterday.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm running lopsided? Always get niggles on the left leg. I blame old sporting injuries.image

Anyway looking forward to a nice casual run tomorrow. Might throw in a few hills for good measure if there is no Phlegm surfacingimage

• Options

Rich - good you've got the treadmill to hand. I think if I had one of those I'd be on it all the time! Not really used a treadmill much, but i guess running at any sort of pace on them takes a bit of doing? Did you have your HR monitor on for the tready? I don't use them as I think you can get a bit too hung up on al the data - but that's just me. I used it in one campaign a few years back and it was good looking back on the data to see how the HR was coming down over the campaign.

Pace on Saturdays long run was not too far off MP, think it was something like MP +5%? But again I found it a good judgement of pace kind of run, getting to know what that sort of pace feels like.

Thanks for the advice on the reps CD. I went out and did 10 x 800m reps down the park av times of 2.55, with 400m walk/jog recovery (basically a 1200m loop). Then a 3.5 mile warm down at a very casual 8.50 pace in the fresh snow.

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

I'm starting to wonder if I'm running lopsided? Always get niggles on the left leg. I blame old sporting injuries.image

I've been having same thought!  Left side niggles as well - which is same side as ACL knee operation, problems with shoulder AC joint, a few lopsided ribs, and an ankle I used to sprain every so often.  Probably not surprising.  Not sure what the answer is - maybe a lopsided weightlifting programme?!

• Options

Rich- I still need a GFA to get into London, maybe one day image I'm running my local mara (walled city marathon) in Northern Ireland 31st may, not sure if I should do tune up races like last year or just save it all for the big day.Most of the races I did fall badly with work this year anyway image Good mara miles on the dreadmill.image

All my problems are on my right side maybe between us we could make a runner image

• Options
    Sense- yeah it get frustrating always having something up. Your right, your left and my right and throw away the rest!

Leslie- you've got a month longer than everyone else apart from the Edinburgh gang to get your fitness up. Although your doing quite well as I remember.

Kr- loving those reps! You are quick! If I was doing them that fast I'd have 400 crawl intervals! Might try n see if I can do some longer mp runs soon. Think I'm scheduled for an 8 mine run on Friday.
  • Options
    KR- I don't get too hung up on the stats, just a good indicator on how badly I'm running at the moment. I should hopefully look at my runs in a few months tone and be happy that the hr is dropping. Aslo gives calories so I can see how much more dinner I can have image
  • Options
    Actually it looks like we are a little lop sided! Apparently your stronger on one side?

Leslie- is it quite a big race on the 31st. If so then just concentrate on that. You could through in a half and do it at Mp. That way it's a good feelers on how your going to perform on the day. Best about 8 weeks before hand. There or there about. I do like a warm up race but never did one last year. I have one on the 8th of March A cheeky wee h m . image

going out the noo for a run will take a different route and try and have a few bursts of pace.See what happens.
  • Options

7 and a half Miles tonight with a few hills, muddy tracks, scary cars, faster bits, slower bits. So all in all a fartlek session. Came out at 8:20mm. Hard going in that wind and cold air! Enjoyed it though.

HR starting to behave too! 

• Options

Sounds like a good all round run Rich.

• Options

Rich- it will be a smallish race -2000 runners but its my "A" race for the year with the time it takes to get ready for a mara. Unfortunately the last time I tried a mara paced HM was when my leg went ironically I wasn't racing it due to fear of injury image

• Options
    KR- aye it was okay till I got home. Thought I'd ran faster up those hills never mind. Perceived effort is a funny thing and loads of factors can mess with it. Namely illness, weather, conditions and wether it's night or day.

I did notice going to work a little glimmer of morning sunshine. I guess the light mornings are not that far off!

Leslie- bad luck last time but you might find it better this Year? I'm doing my one even though I'm not fit enough for a pb but could try a mp run instead! what sort of time are you looking for in your marathon?
  • Options

Rich-looking for sub 3:15 ,3:10 would be nice not sure if I have the engine for it though but its 16 weeks starting on sunday image  No way i could pb a half now either I ain't got any quicker yet (87 min pb) could run 95 easy enough , 90 at a push with a good taper maybe.

• Options
    my pb is 93 so hoping I can edge under that in 5 weeks time. that's a great pb you have. I guess I've just never done enough of them! If you can pull off an 87 min half then a 3:10 should be achievable! Go for it image

not sure what I'm going to do tonight. Jolly sounds good. Nice easy 5or 6 miles.
  • Options

Looks like you had a decent run last night Rich.  Running at night is never going to be as quick as daytime, especially if there's ice about.  You're bound to be a bit more cautious, on corners especially.  I had to put my run yesterday off until evening too, and it was definitely slower as a result.  A mate of mine broke his collarbone tripping over a speedhump at night, two weeks before the New York marathon.  Be careful out there!

• Options

http://www.strava.com/activities/250370832

Hi Dave, Later is better than no run! Yeah but soon the lighter nights will be upon us and we will be able to see where we are going! and ouch that is not good breaking your collarbone! He must have been gutted to say the least!

yeah, one of the sections I think I was down to 10mm as a result of it not a tarred road and a car coming towards me very slowly! It's not good when the cars don't really know what they are doing when a runner is approaching them! another section the street lights were out on a bypass! not pleasant. 

Another run tonight that felt harder than it should have. It's just the time of year I'm afraid. still coughing but I'm starting to suspect it's seasonal asthma coming back to haunt me! I had  it as an adolescent and thought I'd shaken it when I started running. It'll go once the temp gets a little higher!

6.4 tonight and scraped under 8mm for the first time in a while, although I did have a brain fart and not stop my watch for about 30seconds at the end of my run! doh!image

Hope your all enjoying your running today??? 

will try a MP run tomorrow and should put me back onto the schedule. should end up about 5 with 3 MP in the middle, rest friday, LR Sat and race on sunday. image

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Out in the dark tonight. 7.7 miles in 60 mins.

Good to scrape under 8mm Rich!

Rich - what's the underfoot conditions in Peterheed?  Thinking about hitting the track tomorrow!

• Options

Another run under the belt tonight Rich. Enjoy the MP miles tomorrow, I've got a similar run tomorrow too - I like Thursdays. I don't mind the dark and do most of my running at night (sometimes at stupid o'clock). However, I am wary of unlit paths. A few years back I tripped and fractured my wrist badly resulting in pins and a metal plate being put in to hold my wrist in place now.

Good mileage too CC82.

14 miles tonight for me in just under 8mm pace.

• Options
    CC- nice one! Bet you did those 7 in quick style. The ground is okay I guess it's not quite freezing so the ground is be freezing over till later on. I'm in work and its like a cave here . Never see daylight till the weekend! Lol a little tip for you here. The peterhead track is crap this time of year with moss and can get icy later in the day. But if you use long distance spikes you can eliminate the sliding about like an ice rink.

KR- ouch! That sounds a nightmare. Going to tread a little more carefully. On the railway line beside me there is a few trees knocked over and the branches are just the right height to take you eye out! Gotta tread with caution.

Might cycle tonight as I heard my knee crunch as I was going down a few steps a couple hours ago. Limping like an invalid. image might take the load off by cycling! image
  • Options

Blimey Rich, take care of yourself.  Last thing you need is a knee injury.

• Options
    CD- aye I'm resting it tonight. Must have been the way I walked down the steps! Been sore sinse. Ill just rest it and ice it tonight and see how it is tomorrow. image oh God! Not now! image I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • Options

Best to get all these niggles out of the way at the start Rich image

• Options

Aye, tell me about it! it's well sore and stiff! hopping along! hope an early night sorts it out image just gonna enjoy a day off. if it's dodgy tomorrow it's cycle for me, which aint bad just different. 

• Options
    Xray done and I have a bony spur on my tibia! Magic? Waiting to hear what's going to happen here. Should be a weeks bed rest? That's my guess? RICE?
  • Options
    Oh well a weeks bed rest prescribed and keep it wrapped up. Another set back, but it could have been a lot worse! image
  • Options

I think I'm a jinx Rich - last time I mentored she had to drop out with health problems after a few weeks.  Must admit I'm confused how a 'bony spur' could cure itself with a week in bed, but then I'm not a medical doctor. 

Not the end of the world though, you still have time to get fit for Manchester and the engine built up through all those marathons you've done won't fall apart because the chassis is in need of a bit of attention.

• Options

I know I'm stumped! I don't know why they don't just give me an MRI scan and have a right look at what's going on! they just seem to want to fob you off! The examination lasted all of 30 seconds from the doc! no range of movements at all! I'm starting to wonder if he could be assed? Never mind I have an appointment next week(thursday)with a decent doc and I'm sure he'll get me a good look at if I'm not better by then! 

Your not a jinx I always get a few niggles, they just all happen to be coming all at once! there are others on here longing for your advice, they'll keep you busy in mean time. 

Would you be annoyed if we moved the target down a little if I take longer to get back? I'm still running well, the 14 I did last weekend felt okay and that was with a cough! so we might still be on for it??

In mean time I'll do some upper core exercises! image

• Options

Target time on race day was always going to depend on how training went, so see how it goes when you get back and we can plan something sensible nearer race day.  I always say you don't really know what MP is until race day anyway.