Options

RW F7 – around 4.15

In my first marathon (Berlin) I trained pretty well and ran an evenly paced 4:32:51, in my 2nd (Amsterdam) I didn’t train as well and really struggled in the last few miles but finished in 4:30:23.

My half-marathon PB is 1:58:28 and 10k PB 51:33 so I’m aiming for around 4h15 for this marathon. Though I’m not the fastest of runners by a long way (just look at the other pitches on this thread – wow!), I think I tend to doubt myself and therefore don’t always push as hard as I should/could, and maybe set off at too conservative a pace. At the moment I’m training 5 times a week following the ultimate marathon schedule for sub 4:15 (with a couple of tweaks to fit in around races).

Comments

• Options

Hello helsbells!! Great pitch and to the word limit image I didn't actually check just looks nice and succinct.  Do u use twitter? Name looks familiar.... 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    image looks like a great match here.
  • Options

Well done Hellsbells, as they say- Go for it! Angela will sort you out! image

• Options

Oh-em-gee!

Thank you so much and how exciting this is. Hi Angela, I'm thrilled to have you as my mentor. The pitch was exact to the word limit... That's the way I roll. And yes, I am on twitter, though with a different name. First confession of this thread: my twitter name is Sticky Ends. Which I realise sounds a bit gross, unless you happen to be a molecular biologist.

I'll be back in a little while with more on where I'm at with training at the moment. There were some great pitches so I'm off to look at the other forum 7 threads! 

Helen

• Options

If there is one person on here who has shown great results from practising what she preaches over the last couple of years it is Angela, you are in excellent hands, good luck and make the most of it image.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Lord help you Hellsbells7image

Just kidding. Echo Mr P - you have a great mentor there! Well done!

• Options

I have indeed! Lucky me. And I definitely intend on making the most of it.

So, last week's training looked like this for me:

Tuesday - speed work. 1M warm up, 5x1km with 1 min recovery, 1M cooldown. Pace for each of the km was between 8 and 8'15" per mile (sorry that's a confusing way of doing it)

Wednesday - easy 6M

Friday (should have been Thursday) - 5M marathon pace, between 9'45" and 10 min per mile.

Today - LSR, 13M.

i was supposed to do 4 M yesterday and didn't because I ended up painting the spare room instead.image

• Options

Thanks helsbels... I would really like to see your plan and have a more detailed history if that's ok.  I'll post up some questions in the morning but perhaps in the mean time you could email me your plan?  Night night

thanks Malcs and Mr P... I'm blushing!  But shhhh be quiet, she doesn't know me yet, I need time to get her under my spell so that she'll dress up in some crazy outfit to run Bacchus marathon with me and Sarahimage

• Options

Morning all!

Angela, I'll email you my plan as soon as I'm at my computer. Then you can fire away with questions! Today is scheduled as a rest day... Am I still allowed those?

Funnily enough I'm hoping to run the Bacchus half marathon with my sister as we thought it would be a good way to celebrate her birthday!

• Options

Morning!  Sorry for being a bit dosy last night!  I did a race yesterday and that together with a 4+ hour drive home meant I was a bit tired... Am returning to my usual self now I've had a cup of tea and some breakfast! 

YAY!!! You're doing Bacchus... Word to the wise as someone who has done the half and the full . . . you get more wine if you do the full as you go around the course twiceimage And I think the cost to enter either is pretty much the same...

You are indeed allowed rest.  I need to figure out whether you are someone who rests too much or doesn't rest enoughimage  I have both types with my clients, and for running neither works well.  As its an endurance sport the more you can get out to run but slowly, the more your body will adapt.  But, that can be boring, so adding in some speed work and pacey sessions adds to the fun.  BUT you need time to recover from these.  Its a balance, and part of that is getting to know what your body can handle.  It will give you little signs, but you need to get in tune with them

Anyhoo, here are the questions:

What are your personal best times with dates?

What are your race times in the last 6 months?  (12months if none in the last 6)

What other exercise do you do besides running?

Any injuries?

Any illnesses that can affect your ability to train?

What’s your running goal in the next 6 months?

If you would rather answer these privately, that's just fine as well image

• Options

What race did you do yesterday Angela?

Um, I'm fairly sure I'm someone who rests too much. image Or at least, is too willing to make excuses as to why I didn't fit in a run. See above.

PBs:

10k: 51m33 (Nov 2012)

half-mara: 1h58m28 (Apr 2014)

mara: 4h30m23 (Oct 2013)

These all look a bit old now! But actually they all come from the last time I raced over that distance. I've done more recent 10ks but off-road and very hilly courses. I'm not even sure I have a 5k pb! But ran my local parkrun in November in 26m56, although I was aiming for more of a tempo run and then sped up! I get a bit competitive when there's a finish line to aim for.

• Options

Part 2:

Exercise other than running - I cycle to and from work (only about 3miles each way), and do a class on Wednesday called BodyBalance - it's part yoga / part Pilates, and actually forces me to do some core strengthening and have a proper stretch. That's about it apart from intermittent bouts of hiking and skiing.

No injuries at the moment, I've had ITB pain in the past but only at the end of marathons or longer. No illnesses either.

Running goal for the next 6 months: Run a good marathon at London! I'm not sure how many more marathons I'll do* so I'd really like to do myself justice. If I could finish and still have the energy to smile at the end, that'd be even better.

*Every long race I've trained for I've thought would be the last one I'll do, and yet I keep signing up for another so don't take me too seriously on this... 

• Options

Now, enough with the me, me, me.

Anyone else out there with a similar time in mind? Not quite at the dizzy heights of sub-4 but hoping to go a bit faster than 4.30? Anyone else guilty of resting too much? Or not enough... don't be shy, jump in!

• Options

Hi Hellsbells and Hi Angela and good luck to you both!

I followed the forum 4.30 thread last year with Angela mentoring Pipski and Rachel and got a lot from it! - I had entered my first marathon and thought 4.30ish was reasonable aim although my main aim was to finish uninjured. I ran Edinburgh in 4.36, finished strong and with a smile on my face and was injury free. I think I was also a bit conservative starting the race and so (possibly) could have got round a bit faster but I was happy with the result.

I've entered Edinburgh again this year (and York in October!) and feel with the confidence of experience and good training I could manage 4.20ish so I think this could be a good thread for me to jump in and come along for the ride!

I'm following the P&D up to 55miles plan this time - tweaked to allow a few holidays etc and stretched out a bit to allow for life's little curve balls. I've done a good build up to it and I'm now on week 3 of the actual plan, all good so far.

I like my rest too Hellsbells: I run, I go to the gym and I walk the dog but, otherwise, I like lying on the couch image

• Options

Hi CB69, great to have you on board! I've not had a proper look at the P&D plan but find the mileage a bit daunting! That must be my lazy streak again. Did you follow that plan before?

• Options

Evenin'  The race I did yesterday was the Brass Monkey Half Marathon in York.  Blogged here: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/brass-monkey-half-marathon-race-report.html 

Thanks for answering all my questions HelsBels, I still haven't had a thorough look at your schedule, but in the mean time, if you post this week's plan, it will help others who may be following the thread.

Also, what's your running been like between your last race (Apr 2014) and now?

Hiya CB69, Nice to have you back - I seem to remember wishing you luck a few days before my wedding but then not finding out how you did - sorry about that image .  Delighted that you did so well in Edinburgh.  What are your shorter race pbs at present?

• Options

Ok, this week's plan.

Tues - speed work. 1M warmup, 10x400m fast with 1 min recoveries, 1M cooldown

Wed - 7M easy

Thurs - 5M incl 3M half-mara pace

Sat - 4M fartlek or parkrun

Sun - 14M easy

• Options

And in answer to your other question, my last race was actually July last year when I ran 100km along the Ridgeway (though with a break in the middle), I'm not sure how I seem not to have mentioned that before now. So I did lots of running in May, June and July. After that I was slightly broken, and also moved house, so did a lot less running in August and September! And I've been picking it up again since then, running a nice round 100 miles in December.

• Options

Morning all! Who's looking forward to a chilly run this morning? Brrr!

• Options

Morning all - yes, Hellsbells, I'm really looking forward to my chilly 10 miles this morning - I don't think the dog's so keen though, he's hiding under his blankets at the minute! 

Well done on you 100k run (and how modest not to have mentioned it before!), that's very impressive.

I didn't follow the P&D plan last time - I used Hal Higdon intermediate plan but I'm feeling stronger and more confident now and already enjoying the higher mileage. 

Angela, you're right, I think your wedding was the just before Edinburgh - I seem to remember you were very busy, planning a wedding and mentoring on here on top of all your other stuff! I assume the day went well?!

I've only done a couple of 10k's since the marathon, one in July and one in Dec., both came in at 54mins something but the second one was off road in a Santa suit!

Right, heading out now - enjoy the day!

• Options

Ooh, enjoy your 10 miler CB69, it's a lovely morning for it as long as you've got the right layers on. I've done my session, 5.5M with 10 lots of 400m. Now I'm sat at my computer with my down jacket on trying to get warm again!

• Options

I did enjoy it Hellsbells - what a beautiful morning: frost and sunshine and the deer were out, that always makes me happy image

I was doing a 'General Aerobic' run - meant to be nice and slow (which I like!) and I had read on another thread here that a good way to get that pace right is to breath in and out through your nose only, so I thought I'd give it a try. It felt a bit odd to start with but it worked really well, I got into a really nice easy rhythm.

Just finishing my cup of tea now then off for a nice hot shower before I start to freeze!

• Options

I always like it when I spot wildlife on my runs, I don't often get deer though. No chance this morning as I was in a surprisingly busy park - there were many runners out and about! And a dozy labrador that tried to trip me up; I had the choice of stopping suddenly or hurdling it. I went for stopping, so if one of my intervals is slower than the rest then that's my excuse!

• Options

100k Helsbells7 !!!  Now I realise why we're such a great match!  I did my first ultra last year too image

What sort of time did you do your 400s in?  Were they fairly even?  

CB69, wedding day was best day ever, thanks!  I even dealt with not being able to run  a parkrun on the morning of! 

• Options

Times for intervals were: 2.01, 1.57, 1.55, 1.55, 1.54, 1.58, 1.55, 1.56, 1.55, 1.55. Apparently the Labrador-hurdling had no effect on my time. 

The saltmarsh75 sounds very cool, I've just been reading your blog on it. Do you have any plans for more? There's a few that tempt me, but there's always lots of things I want to do.

• Options

Nice intervals Hellsbells7 image  The first one being a bit slower may suggest that you weren't quite warmed up enough?  I had that issue last winter where it took me much longer than a mile to warm up enough to do speedwork.

At the moment no plans for another ultra, well, technically . . . The friend I visited in York and I are running Tr24 this year as a pair.  If we each cover the mileage I'm hoping for, we will be approaching SM75 distance in half the time!!! EEEK  

So, what are your list of things you want to do?  I'm collecting marathons toward 100 marathon club eventually...

• Options

Morning guys,

A nice 4 mile recovery for me today - 10 miles yesterday then a hard spin class last night, I think I deserve it! Feeling good though.

Another nice running morning here! Have a good one!

• Options

Morning image  Its snowing here, although not enough to settle.  Gotta love a recovery run image

• Options

Morning! No snow here, just cold and grey and a bit drizzly. I'll be doing my run after work today, 7 miles easy is the plan for today.

CB69, I definitely think it sounds like you deserve an easier day today!

Angela, yes, I think you're right about me not being quite warmed up for the first interval yesterday. Partly I took it slightly easier on the first one because I was aware of that, but also I just wanted to get started on the intervals so that I'd get warmer!

• Options

7 miles done. Not a great run this evening, I kept getting stitch and general stomach issues. Meh! Never mind. 7 miles in 76 minutes, which brings me to a question: can I go too slowly on an easy run? its not that I can't go faster, just that when I'm just chugging along not thinking about pace, I tend to slow down, especially when it's dark!