Options

Endurancelife CTS Northumberland

Hi,

I've entered the marathon at this event...anyone else entered?! Looks like a nice event to ease into 2015 (even though its 2 months in!!!).

Cheers image

TG

Comments

• Options

Yes I did the ultra last year and will do it this year again. I have a you tube video online with the course. Did some recce already, pretty muddy out there!

• Options
    Yeah I've watched your vids a few times max, excellent work!

Do you live up that way then? Hope the mud dries a bit,I had planned to run in light trail shoes rather than fellraisers!

How's your training going?
  • Options

Hiya

Yesterday I ran from Beadnell to Low Newton again on MT10 and that was OK-ish. Do you normally run in Salomon Fellraisers? I am waiting for those shoes actually, bought the Speedcross by mistake Nice shoes though. What shoes are you planning to wear?

I ran 24 miles last Saturday, will do another long one next weekend and twooweeks before another long one. Don't really know I am really slow at the moment on the fields to be honest. I am also preparing for a longer route in May so I just have to wait and see what happens image

How is your training going?

• Options
    My time in minimalist shoes had been and gone! I run in cheapo Adidas duramo 5's on the road, so I got the trail version for this and the wall... My insoles fit in these fine. They're decent in the light mud,but obviously not like the fellraisers.

I love the FR's, but need a but more support over longer runs as I have a long history of calf injury image they are quite narrow (much narrower than xt wings!), but I still find then stable. Did a few hardmoors in them with no issues. Wouldn't attempt rough stuff in the duramos though!

Training going well do far...i entered this late, with less than 10 miles as my long run, so I'm praying I can stay fit! No real aims for time, just to get round really.
  • Options

wee bump...anyone else entered from here?

• Options

I did this last year as my first marathon. Lots of scenery - take it easy and enjoy! Wanted to do it again this year but can't make it - would like to do it again at some point.

• Options

Cheers David image

Did 20 miles there at the weekend, recovery going OK, so I'm feeling a bit more positive now!

RunningMax, any updates on the trails?! Have you been out much?

• Options

Hiya

Yes I was out on the course again but it changes overnight (raining or not). Biggest problem is/was the river crossing. No way I was going to do tat the other day. Strong current. Te other problem will be the beach at Foxton Hall. There is no beach left as from 10 o'clock

No idea how this will be solved

Will run a long one tomorrow and if that goes well I will be OK.

• Options

Did 31 miles today so I guess I am ready -)

• Options
    Excellent ???? are you doing the ultra again?

Is the mud just a problem for the first stretch out to the coast? Re the tides, did you not complain about this last year too? They haven't released the route yet, so fingers crossed we can get round that bit!
  • Options

Checked the route yesterday and the tides. There will be enough beach left, also for the marathon starters at Foxton Hall to the campsite. It is only a 1000 mtr beach stretch.

The first bit from the Castle is fine without any mud at all It is pretty flat, there is one çlimb' (wel not really) on a field after 2 miles. After that a little road stretch (400 mtr) and up and down towards the river crossing. Yesterday that was fine, but it is raining today so stones gone again. No mud untill Alnmouth, only a little maybe just before the golfcourse at Foxton but nothing major and normal mud, not the real slippery mud

The muddy bits are around Craster and around Dunstanburgh Castle if it has been wet and a little bit in a cow field near Boulmer.

It all depends on the rain really It is raining now but we only need a few dry days and some sunshine to get it OK again....

• Options
    Doesn't sound too bad to me RunningMax... Like your say all depends on the amount of rain in the few days before the race. It'll be fiiiiiiiiiine????????????????

Thanks for the updates ???? ????
  • Options

I will check parts next week and post it here again image

• Options
    It's looking likely I'll have to pull out through injury now... Went over on my ankle on Tuesday there. Not broken, but badly sprained. Felt it crunch at the time and feared the worst, but x-rays were clear!

Gutted.
  • Options

Oh no image Were you ready to roll? Maybe with one week rest it will be OK?

• Options

Yeah was pretty much ready RunningMax...had a maximum of 20 miles trail run this weekend planned image WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!image

This was in A&E, but its nothing like that now...once the swelling clears a bit more, I'll tape it up and see how it goes this week! I contacted EnduranceLife, but they wont let me defer until next year, or take the entry into a later race which is a bit disappointing really.

/members/images/861427/Gallery/WP_20150222_9547.jpg

• Options

Ow doesn't look too good image Hope you are on the mend quickly. Surprised about Endurancelife! It is all about money these days obvously.... Previousy it was possible to defer it I think......Hahaha last year there was ot even a medal when I finished the ultra.... tey took on too many people obviously image

Let's wait and see how the ankle develops over the next few days. Long term is more important than the run but you may never know....!!

• Options
    Hey all, found this post last week but didn't remember to get involved. How did everyone go? Was a nice day out today!
  • Options

BUMP image

Im back! A year on and Im raring to go!

Is anyone else doing it? Been doing any reccies RunningMax would be interesting to see how the ground is faring after all the rain we've been getting...still enought time for it to dry out I suppose.

Cheers,

TG

• Options

Hiya

Are you OK again after last year's problem? I checked out the part from Alnmouth up to Bamburgh already. Not too bad after all the rain we had. But everything can change in the next 4 weeks. Although I ran 376 km in January I still have to do my long run. Maybe somewhere this week.

How is your training going?

• Options

Hi RunningMax,

sounds like youve been doing well, nice one!

Im still struggling with my ankle, and other aches and pains, but slowly getting the miles up...slight setback on monday there, but it seems to have cleared now!

Hopefully thats the last of the heavy rain for the month. Im really looking forward to this image Have you entered again?

Cheers,

TG

• Options

Hi Tam

How are you doing with your training? I have a 33 miler done but maybe I am going to run a 40 miler next week for myself and forget about the ultra. The weather is not really good, I know the rout by heart now as well. Will see next week Training is done anyway. 

The surface changes each day. Two days ago there was a stretch which was awful due to mud, today it was pretty good. Tried to run around Dunstanbirgh Castle two days ago too but did not succeed and went back ( I started in Beadnell and only wanted to ake a photo at te other side but it took me ages due to the hellish slippery mud so I went back to Beadnell)

Let me know how you are doing

• Options

I'm doing the marathon again.  I did it in 2014 and really enjoyed it - despite been a bit ambitious with my pacing at the start and struggling a bit.  I think I'm in good shape this year.  I did an ultra towards the end of last year and my long runs have been going well.  Hopefully I'll feel good on the day and we'll have some good weather.  I'd prefer it not too slippery and not windy.  Don't mind a bit of rain or snow.

• Options

Well it looks like it will rain but that is not a problem. How did you find it in 2014? Circumstances were excellent then. Dont expect anything like that this year if this weather continues -( I will keep you posted on the mud (changes)

• Options

Were you running with your dog?  I think we might have spoke briefly on route.

I thought it was quite runnable.  There was a section through a field with some cows that was very muddy and a section over some rocks at the beach (due to high tide) that was slippy.  Apart from that it was ok, but you still need to adjust your pace for the terrain (which I didn't).

I fell over in the mud at the weekend on a section of my local coast.  I was wearing road shoes which didn't help.  I'll be wearing my trail shoes which are better, but still not great in the mud.

• Options

@ david: I had my dog with me in 2014. No that is what I meant. 2014 was excellent, really really good. This year everything is terrible. Muddy and VERY slippery. Patches near Craster, the path around Dunstanburgh. I couldn't get round it Sunday, I gave up and went back to Beadnell. A bit of wind will help, and some dry days too. I will check the course again next week to see how it looks like. The cows are not there anymore (you mean after Boulmer I guess?) so the road is not trampled by cows and better than last time even after the rain. 

• Options

I think it was the same in 2014 just prior to the run but it cleared up in time.  Hopefully it will be the same this year.  I'd actually be quite happy with a bit of snow. image

I don't know the course all that well - can't remember exactly where the cows were.  It wasn't a big section - but it was an unpleasant looking "mud" and I didn't want to fall in it. image

• Options
    Race day!! Good luck. image
  • Options

Think we got lucky with the weather today. Wasn't too muddy but the uneven ground takes its toll. Finished second in marathon so really pleased with that. Big improvement from 2 years ago. image 

Hope everyone enjoyed it.