First ultra challenge

So I am doing the IOW challenge in May. I am walking/running (jogging they call it) , doing the whole 106km and I have a few questions.

I'm not sure what food to take with me. There will be the following stops:

FREE hot food at 54, 77 km & finish (major rest stops)
FREE snacks & drinks at all check points - 17km, 45km, 64km 91km (minor rest stops)

I don't plan on racing this so will rest for as long as I need at the major stops.

Another question is kit/equipment

I need to carry with me water, head lamp (doubt I'll finish in day light), first aid kid, extra layers etc. So I am looking for a suitable bag to carry these items.

Any ideas on the best hydration pack to get. So far I am thinking of one of the following:

Ospray Womans Verve 5
Camelbak Spark 10
Camelbak Daystar Hydration pack

I don't want to get something too expensive.

Comments

• Personally I'd go for at least a 10l more like a 12l

an extra 1 or 2lb of extra kit might slow you doen, but not having enough kit could very well mean a DNF 

• If your planning on running a significant amount I'd recommend a dedicated running pack.  Camelbacks/hiking packs can be terribly bouncy.  Decathlon has budget options.  (I'm not familiar with any of the packs you mention so can't help on specifics.)

• In the same price range, you may want to look at the omm ultra 12.  I've upgraded to a salomon pack, which is infinitely more stable and comfortable,  but the omm served me well for some years. 

• I thought camelbaks were running packs. I will look into the one you mentioned.

• If it's the ActionChallenge event then you do not really need to carry much.  The stops are well stocked.  A couple of litres of water should be plenty plus a small snack for the earlier stages.  Also during the day you will be going through areas where you can buy food and drink in a real emergency.  It is very hilly in parts so I would be reluctant to weigh myself down with unnecessary stuff.  The only thing I found that endlessly drinking water, especially from plastic containers, becomes quite unpleasant, so a small amount of concentrated squash to add to your water container might be an idea.

• yeah I was thinking I wouldn't need much in the way of food. I will need to be able to carry extra layer though

• Some hydration packs have very little space for mandatory kit.

I’ve used an OMM “Last Drop” 10 litre backpack, which I’ve found to be light and comfortable and doesn’t bounce around when running. There’s room in it for race kit (mobile phone, emergency blanket, head torch, packable jacket, etc) as well as emergency food (energy bars or gels). It is compatible with a hydration bladder if you want to use one, or couple of bottles will in the side pockets (in my case two 650ml bottles as there was a 1.5 litre requirement).

I’d recommend some sachets of energy drink or “zero” electrolyte tablets (easy to add to water in bottles) which also have the benefit of flavouring the water.

• Camelbaks are aimed at the cycling market predominantly.  Certainly both these two are - they talk about storage for tubes and pumps.  Cycling is a bounce-free activity, relatively.

My experience of trying to run with a camelbak was truly dreadful.  Couldn't get the damn thing stable.

• the run specific camel backs are ok but dont have space for kit.. ok for  some bits and bobs. If you enjoy the ultra you will want to do others and most have a large list of essential kit

• It is good to be able to access at least one smallish pocket at the front, then you will find it easier to keep nibbling away at some sort of food- percy piglets, those squares  of flapjack you can buy in a petrol station, or a cliff bar are my favourites. 

It is worth having these to hand, so that eating becomes a habit.

I used a verve osprey for a while, for commuting runs to work, but switched to a vest style pack/ bladder after my first ultra.

My camelback gave me dreadful chaffing on the side of my neck.