Fenix 3

13»

Comments

• Thanks peeps.

I am on 6.8 and I've turned off bluetooth - somehow my garmin connect app has decided to delete the watch (again) from its connections and I did think constant bluetoothing might be the problem. Interesting about the being on the edge of connection - maybe that was something to do with it - cant remember the phone being that far away though.
  • Hah, my 920xt can pick up the Bluetooth through the wall of a first floor room, from several meters away as I run past the building.. always makes me jump a bit.

• Cougie, you're not alone, my Fenix3 strangely suffered a very poor day when a full charge barely lasted 24hrs (included a long run).

I recall there was a pending update at the time which I chose to ignore.  I assumed the install simply corrected the problem.  

I do keep a much closer eye on it now.

• The severe battery drain is usually caused when the BT connection gets disrupted for whatever reason and the watch is constantly trying to reconnect. Sometimes disabling BT and re-enabling it on the watch and or phone will sort the connection out, sometimes not. 

It doesn't seem to be a range problem, I've suffered with the watch and phone less than a meter  apart when the connection has gone. This makes me inclined to believe it might be as much a problem with the BT stack used by Garmin Connect Mobile as the watch itself.

This has come and gone over the software versions from around V5 but the last couple of beta versions (6.82 and 6.84) have behaved themselves very well for me. 

As a related tip, I find that if I am running or biking without my phone, disabling BT lessens the impact on battery drain during the activity.

• My battery ran down in less than a day - then I recharged and it's back to being as good as gold. Very odd.
  • I've just bought the Fenix 3.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.  So far, so good with regards to the battery and I hope it stays that way.

• Darndest thing. My Fenix hasn't recorded a GPS track for my last two activities.

It's done distance and pace and everything but no map trace.

I've turned it off and on again to see if this helps.

I've seen reports of other garmins doing similar too.
  • I was just doing a walk after work and set it to record and it crashed twice before it started recording.It worked but only after restarting the watch and the second time it stopped after about 1 second and 1 needed to restart it after that it was fine....

Bad day at the office for garmin? or satellites not playing ball...

• I turned it off and back on again and its back to normal. Phew.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a Suunto.image

• I was tempted to say about the Suunto Spartan Ultra...

I had one... the day they came out in the UK took it back to Cotwsold after 90 minutes, taking it back was the best decision i've made image It might be great come Feb, but at the moment.....

• cougie wrote (see)
    My battery ran down in less than a day - then I recharged and it's back to being as good as gold. Very odd.

This rapid battery drain normally happens when the BT connection to your phone fails for whatever reason. Make sure you firmware is up to date and the watch is "connected" rather than "connecting". 

I've had my Fenix 3 since Feb 2015 and I'm still getting a solid 6/7 days with 3 or 4 activities and constant Bluetooth. 

• Is this thread still active ? ;-)

Any Garmin experts around that could help me with a query.

I'm running mile intervals in VLM training and I'd be interested to analyse the average HR per mile. 

I can't see any easy way to do this - but I'd have thought it would be fairly simple.

Anyone know how to do it in Garmin Connect or even Strava ?  

Ta
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Strava gives you average HR per lap I think (if you select the "Laps" tab of a workout)? So if you have the intervals as different laps you should be able to see this easily.
  • edited April 2017
    you can't easily on historic activities, but if you set it up as a workout (ceate workout in Connect and upload to watch) then each 'interval' is seperately monitored and can be analysed.... if that is too much hassle, just press the lap button at the start and after each interval, and you get the same effect.

....or if you do want it per mile, just set up up auto laps at 1 mile, and it'll do it all quietly in the background for you, but onky for whole miles regardless of where the interval falls within that
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Oh thats perfect MC - and I'd not thought of the laps thing Nick.

I'm just doing my intervals from the mile beeps - so the data is there for me on strava. 

Ta !