Options

Encounter with Pervert

Well my run was a little more eventful than normal today. As I was starting the last loop of my regular run I noticed a guy in the distance, thinking he was waiting for someone, popular area at 11.30 in the morning, I headed towards him. As I rounded the bend there he was two meters from the path, facing towards me, trousers round ankles
W*nking away.
The other side of the path is a lake so the only options were to continue or turn back. I decided to act like I hadn`t seen him and ran past. He had a hood pulled up tight round his face and sunglasses on so he had obviously come prepared. ( no pun intended! )

I thought I heard somewhere the best thing to do in these situations is to laugh at the person.

Anyone any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    I'd have kept running too, as fast as I could in case he tried to touch me with his winkle. Who knows what germs are on it?

Seriously, though, hope it wasn't too distressing for you. I saw a flasher when I was 14. But I had the last laugh - I'm very short-sighted and I din't have my specs on at the time. Yay for me!
  • Options
    Ignoring him was probably the best option. Flashers are generally otherwise harmless -obviously they're not harmless in that they're flashing women, but other than that they don't generally do much else of a threatening nature - but you never know, so always best to ignore I suppose.
    You should probably report it to the police though.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry I think I'd have turned back and ran very fast! Shame he wasn't closer to the lake, you could've pushed him in!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Yes I agree that you should report it, if only for your own safety. I did when I encountered a pervert in similar circumstances a few years ago. Also choose an alternative route for a while. If he gets no reaction from you, he may try something more serious next time. Make sure someone knows your run route and what time you are expected back too.
  • Options
    I did report it as there was a group from a nursery a bit further along and one of them had a mobile. One of the reasons was that just by that part of the lake there are two schools and three nurserys, which could be part of the reason he had chosen to be there.

Police said they would send someone up to the school to take a statement but they didn`t bother. I was more shocked by their lack of interest than by the flasher. I certainly won`t be running there at night now.
  • Options
    It's sad that people like that can make us change our routine.
    The police were more interested when I reported to them, but I did it in person rather than by phone so they had to really. I diverted my run and went to the cop shop before I went home.
    Worrying that it was by schools and nurserys as well!
  • Options
    You should report this to the police - they dont always stop at flashing
  • Options
    Police are more interested in speeding motorists... unfortunately.
    Can't you run with someone, or carry a sharp instrument (eg a stanley knife), then if someone tries to flash you can chop it off and show the evidence in court !

I'd have to agree with Hilly though, i'm a bloke and even i'd turn and run back !
  • Options
    I did report it but they didn`t do anything.
    Mind you I probably wasn`t making much sense on the phone.

When I told everyone at work, two different people replied " it`s cause your dressed like that"

Running tights, jacket and cap. ???
  • Options
    NOT your fault Hoover!
    You should be safe to dress as you do without idiots like him being unable to control themselves.
    Good job it wasn't summer, or you might have been wearing shorts, god forbid!
  • Options
    They sound bigger wa**kers than the flasher.
  • Options
    I dunno, what is it with some dudes, they give my gender a really bad name.

If it had happened to me I would have hit the #### with a bit of 2 by 4. Double hard.

Maybe take a digital camera with you next time and take a photo of him to send to the police, council, his Mum etc!
  • Options
    If she had hit him the police would have been interested. They would have arrested her!
  • Options
    My friend and I had this years ago when we were walking through the town centre, I missed it as I was too busy stuffing my face at the time, but she made me run then the guy gave chase, as I was protesting about being able to walk round the streets if I wanted to etc. We just got the door answered at a friends house as he sauntered past. The story didn't end there as we decided to hitch hike home- very late and narrowly averted being kidnapped when I got my best swearing head on and made the guy stop the car, an eventful night that one.

Fact of the matter is it's all too common and with an attitude like the police seemed to have it's no wonder.

Also how dare someone suggest you were "asking for it"- who do you work with- 100 year old hugh court judges?
  • Options
    Actually it did occur to my that I could probably have pushed him over, trousers round ankles and all that, but reckon that would have got me in trouble.

Plus I didn`t really want to go any nearer than I had too. Bit impractical running with a camera, I do sometimes take my phone when I run at night but it never occurred to me I might need it during the day.
  • Options
    I was not 100% surprised by the comments at work, both from 50+ women who take a dim view of ALL sporting activites.

I thought as it was an area with lots of kids the police would take it more seriously.I hung about for an hour waiting for them before I gave up and went to have a shower.
  • Options
    Given the recent incidents of stabbings I'm suprised the Police didn't take more interest. I'd say you did the right thing by running on. Did you get an incident no. when you reported it? If so I'd call them tomorrow for a follow up and if there hasn't been any action read them the riot act. "They have a duty to protect nearby children etc etc". Make the police take it seriously, speak with your local councillor and MP.
  • Options
    Sorry for the impractical suggestion Hoover, but cr*p like this makes me mad.

OK, so I occasionally take the opportunity to eye up a young girl's bum - I think that's acceptable!

But when your desires infringe on other people's quality of life well ... why can't they just control themselves!

I keep getting eyed up at work by a bloke and it's very unpleasant, luckily he's leaving tomorrow.

Don't these people have any idea of the stress they cause?
  • Options
    I don't think what he was doing had much to do with "desires" in the sense that we would know them. Unless you too get your jollys from the distress caused to others.
  • Options
    Bryan is the bloke eyeing you up young and handsome (much like meself) or is he an ugly bloke? I think it makes a difference, well it would to me. Is that just vanity!?!
  • Options
    I shan't describe him, you never know who's reading these forums!

It doesn't make a difference to me what they look like, I've had unwelcome attention like this once before.

I suppose it would make a difference if he was built like Arnie Schwarzenegger. Then it'd be unwelcome attention that'd make me panic!
  • Options
    If it were a woman would it bother you as much?
  • Options
    A woman built like Arnie?

I wouldn't be over the moon, put it that way!
  • Options
    Do you see it as an afront to your masculinity that, by his interest, there may be some reason that he might think you were "available". That he may think you too are that way inclined?
  • Options
    Have many people met this sort of thing? I was just about to transfer outside from the treadmill in the gym, but this sort of thing puts me off. I live in a rural area with not many people around (except nutters usually!!)
  • Options
    Don't let it put you off Karen - just keep your whits about you and use your common sense.
    We all go out running several times a week and most people never have any problems. Generally avoid dogdy areas and let someone know where you are going or take a friend with you if possible.
  • Options
    Well, I have been wearing that tutu a little too often recently!

To be perfectly honest, I think he just fancies me. I can't think there's anything in my manner which indicates I bat that way.

And if he did think I was of that persuasion, I couldn't really give a toss. What has upset me is that I'm obviously not interested in him as I've not made any positive response to his overtures, yet he still persists in doing it. I feel that it's vindictive.

I think it transcends his orientation. Sexual harrassment is unpleasant whoever is doing it.

May I get off the couch now please?
  • Options
    Sorry for derailing your thread Karen.
  • Options
    It does sound as if he's vindictive and I don't think it's uncommon. Didn't mean to analyse you there Bryan, I just thought you raised an interesting topic. I spent some time in South Beach and had a few guys try it on, not in a vindictive way, but I was sort of flattered. I think if they'd been ugly blokes I'd have been more pi$$ed off about it. Plus if I'd been 5-10 years younger it might have ended in fisticuffs as a means of demonstrating my orientation.