Incorrect reading

Morning all

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the problem I have.

I ran 8.2 kilometres on the treadmill last night, which is just over 5 miles. however, my Nike running app says I ran 4.52 miles???

Which one should I trust do you think???

Comments

• Probably neither are that accurate.

Best you can hope for is that the treadmill is consistent really ?

Do you have GPS and can run outside ? I find that best.
  • Unless you have a calibrated footpod thingy attached to your nike app its almost impossible to say which of the two (if either) is accurate.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    As above, neither is probably correct. I used to have a Garmin foot pod that, when calibrated, was surprisingly accurate. But still not as accurate as GPS, which is still not 100%.
  • grodergroder ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.

I agree with Cougie, that the treadmill is being more honest!

I do run outside with the same app, and as far as In know is is fairly accurate

• Thing is, a GPS isn't 100% acurate, but when you use it outside, at least it is getting its signals via the satellites and it's accuracy should be reasonably consistent. If you're using a footpod, it's using the data from this and checking it against the GPS signals to continually calibrate the footpod data.

If you're on a treadmill, it's relying on just the data from the footpod, so if your cadence or footstrike changes, the watch / phone will think your speed has changed as well, even if the treadmill speed is constant. You can demonstrate this very easily on your treadmill by simply changing your cadence dramatically and see the difference in recorded speed.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - your treadmill will measure speed more consistently, but the calibration may not be very accurate. Take the average of the two readings?

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Train by heart rate and time instead of speed and distance when indoors, so if 5 miles outdoors takes you 50mins and your average heart rate is 145 then just do a 5min warm up gradually increasing to 140bpm and run for another 5 gradually increasing heart rate to 145 and then keep it there for 40 mins.

That is a much more accurate measure of a workout(if you can not get outside and use GPS).
  • grodergroder ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for all your advice - I am a bit wiser now!

• I would ignore poxy nike app wot a load of rubbish, a treadmill is consistent whether you run 10 feet or 10 miles