Ultra training

Couldn't find many threads or even training plans for ultras so I am just going to ask here or hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if I double posted. I currently run 42km in sub 3:15 and i peak up to 70 miles but stay usually on 50 to 60 miles due to times constraints.just wondering if I were to do a 84km or 100km ultra. How high of a mileage should I go? I do understand that I should run more long runs and back to back. So generally what I want to ask is....

How high of a mileage per week? I feel that some say 50 or 60 miles is sufficient but I thought ultra require more mileage due to their physical demands...

How long of a long run? Usually I do a longest run of only 32k or 20 miles for marathon

How much slower am I going to be in a hydration bag? How heavy is it?

Comments

• Weight of a hydration pack varies with what you put in it.  Say 500g for the bag, 1kg per litre for water, 500g-1kg for mandatory kit, depending on the race.  I carry more than that, but I'm much slower than you (thus more time on the course) and eat sandwiches not gels.

Will it slow you down?  Yes.  How much?  Only one way to find out.

Bluntly, you're fit enough to do an ultra on your current training.  It's the other skills you need to work on:  efficient hiking, running off-road, navigation, managing eating and drinking over a much longer time on the trails.  Lots of advice on the wannabe ultrarunner thread.

• I agree- you're definately doing enough to get round comfortably for anything up to about 50 miles ( is that 84km?).

Practicing walking breaks ( very few people run the whole way), eating, and getting used to moving a bit more slowly that you are used to  are more important than additional mileagr, I would yhink. Some very long slow back to back runs on appropriate terrain would be ideal.

• Great thanks! I didn't know high mileage marathon training complements ultramarathon training.

50 miles is around 80km so basically 84km is around 52 miles. I was hoping that with proper training be it a higher mileage training than my previous, I would be able to do a 50 miler in around 8 hours. I would like to do each 10,000m split faster than an hour.

• Brandon, will depend to a great extent on the race you choose. Rough terrain and navigation both slow one significantly, which means that times are much less comparable from race to race than you would expect in the road marathon world.