GUCR 2015

I'm very excited by the challenge of this and I'm in for 2015, and keen to get some discussion going about this year's run, so I thought a new thread wouldn't go amiss!

Though reasonably new to ultra-running, I'm trying not to be daunted. I've read as many blogs as I could find of recent years and am in no doubt as to the efforts, mental and physical, and pain that potentially lies ahead -- and I seek advice so as to best prepare and minimise injury and risk of DNF. 

I think there's a hundred plus people in it, and so hopefully a few are active on here.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• From what I've read on the excellent runners blogs I've seen, the first section (or half?) is mostly on grass / mud if rained recently, and so I'm thinking of running in trail shoes for the first 60-70 miles. Then I was going to switch to normal runners for the remainder (probably after Navigation Bridge) asics or something similar, and bring two pairs of these. With 3 pairs of Injinji socks I hope this should do the trick. But is such a multiple shoe/sock change normal? 

How does rain affect people's footwear strategies? Thanks 

• I havent done it so cant help sorry.but it sounds exciting for you...how is the training going

• Been doing steady runs, just putting miles in my legs really - not really sure how you can train for something that long!

• I don't think there's a "right" footwear choice for anything with this many variables. It is grass/mud for most of the way until Milton Keynes but there's some road in that section and some mud later on (especially after Grand Junction Arms). Standard road shoes are fine, and if that's what you do most of your training in, I would suggest just sticking with them (though consider a second pair half a size up for later on).  It's all about comfort and protecting your feet.

• I had a similar dilemna last used and used Salomon Sense Mantras throughout  in muddy conditions. Standard road shoes would also be fine. Once you get close to the M25 the path is general wider than the earlier sections and hard packed gravel or paved, the last section from CP9 is entirely paved (but the short section, about 1 mile, from the famous final turn at Bull's bridge Junction to CP9 was possibly the muddiest section of the lot).

Last year I changed socks once about the 80 mile mark. The new socks stayed dry for a good 5 miles before I got to more mud.

This year I'll probably use something similar, possibly Brooks Cascadia.

• Good luck all, not long now!

•  seems like the weather has been kind this year

• How did it go LodgeGreen?

I'm kind of attracted to this event.... its on my bucket list... image

Got another IM in 2016 to get out of the way first though.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday