Comments

• I was here there on the telly. I also saw it every 5 minutes on the news. Thanks for "breaking it" to us.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    He is an amazing athlete. It is a shame that the article is written so badly though.

None of the numbers they quite add up to what they are saying. The old record was 8:04:35 and no ran 8:03:40 to beat it by 1:05? I thought that :20+;35 = 0:55 not 1:05, even in America. I also doubt he actually ran the last lap in 27.8 seconds... Unless it was a 200m track.

Good on Mo though. To establish himself as a true great he needs a few world records to go with all of the titles. Those knocking his coach will have to change tack a bit too.
  • Erm yes, indoor tracks usually are 200m, so a 27.8s final lap is correct.  Where the article gets it wrong is in talking earlier on about "consistent 60 second laps" which presumably is referring to consistent 60 second 400 metres.

Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    The old record was 8:04:35 and no ran 8:03:40 to beat it by 1:05? I thought that :20+;35 = 0:55 not 1:05, even in America. 

Eh??!  Where are you getting :20+;35 from?  The difference between 3:40 and 4:35 is just under a second, or 0.95 seconds to be precise.

• It was a 200m track. It was an indoor record.

• No harm in a x-post that confirms I'm not going mad. Cheers, chubby!  image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Phil- that makes sense, in my confusion due to the article that I mixed up what I was trying to say, but yes- Phil .95 of a second was what I meant and not 1.05 as was in the article.

The 60 second laps but was what threw me and I assumed it was an outdoor race...

Must get more sleep.
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Good on Mo though. To establish himself as a true great he needs a few world records to go with all of the titles. Those knocking his coach will have to change tack a bit too.

I am not sure that 2 mile indoor is a world record many of the fast runners care about. And looking at the 3ooo m indoor, Komen could have have jogged his lap of honour in 40s and beaten the time set by Mo this weekend.

I would like to see him run a fast time rather than a quick last lap, so hopefully h gives the 5000m or 10000m a proper go.

• Farah has been focusing on winning medals rather than running fast times over the last few years. That said he did quote he hadn't ran a pb over 5k for around 3 years and would like to run a fast one this year. With the World Champs in August I would think he'll either be preparing for a quick one soon, given the fine shape he's clearly in or after the World Champs. Fast times don't often come in major champs but at the beginning or end of a season. I'm sure he has everything mapped out.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    As long as he hasn't used up all of his energy in his spat with Andy Vernon. Typing that Vernon is an an embarrassment as an athlete must have been a very taxing thing to do when Vernon is better than the Millions of runners who support Mo.
  • He said(typed) he was an embarrassment. Not an embarrassment as an athlete. A very different thing.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    To say he is an embarrassment and follow it up with come back when you have won something decent would suggest he was talking(typing) about his sporting ability, to me anyway.

Allegedly his wife controls his Twitter so maybe she wa responsible for the ill-considered remarks. I just can't imagine that the arrogance needed to be telling Nikes income providers that the are embarrassing if they are slower than him will be good for their relationship with Mo.
  • I didn't mind Vernon too much before this and was looking forward to seeing him do well this year but he needs to ban the missus from going on  the computer.