meralgia paresthetica

Has anyone successfully treated this with stretching exercises, or do I need to see a chiropractor/doctor?

Comments

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Thank you. Any suggestions over and above what I've found on t'web, the obvious stuff?

• Yup - it's a cutaneous nerve and not a peripheral nerve so no need to see a chiro (or anyone!). Stretch your hip flexors and don't let anyone stick anything sharp or pointy near you unless you've had MP for a good while or it's getting progressively worse.
  • Had this since end of jan after getting back upto 3 hours for first time in 9 years. Marathon no.13 on hold as this condition has wrecked running. 4 docs and a urologist couldn't diagnose it. I tried a physio and a chiro out of exasperation early April and both called it straight away...finally waiting to see correct specilalist but haven't done myself any favours by taking ages to find out as is now painful as hell...on a positive note, jogging is more comfortable than sitting down image

• Thumbs up 'six physio'....have been combining hip flexor stretches (using.... http://www.fitbodyhq.com/fitness/12-great-stretches-for-tight-hip-flexors/ ) and barefoot medicine accupuncturist....weeks of horrible pain stopped, just the burning and numbness to contend with, both of which seem to be lessening ..... image

• Been running park runs for a month now and times have improved by over 2 minutes....regular basic hatha yoga routine of stretches, weekly swimming and good hydration...these have been key for me. Horrendous pain gone and starting to feel like a runner again...10k up next...nerve sensation 90% improved. Furthest away part takes longest to heal..... huge thanks to park runs for being my stepping stone back into running!