Glasgow Half

Anyone else signed up for this?

I am a lone runner, not in a club, no running buddies. But I have signed up for this and am only about 4 miles at moment

Thought I would start up a thread for people running this race trade training banter and bit of motivation

Comments

• Actually I should have said Great Scottish Run

• Shame you've signed up for this mass populated money grabbing run when there's an excellent half marathon in kirkintilloch on the same day organised brilliantly and very friendly. Good luck with the training though over the next few months. 

• Just me running so far then ?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well... it's not until October, so quite possibly!

• Enteries open on the day the last one finished so I entered then, normally sells out early

• I haven't signed up yet but was thinking about it. Did the half marathon back in 2007 and the only complaint I had was the lack of parking spaces and toilets but I guess this is common for big city runs. Apart from that it was a great race, good atmosphere and well supported by the public.

• I did it for the first time last year, and have signed up again.  It was my first race in about 30 years and wasn't sure I'd enjoy the size of it, but I did.   There were plenty of toilets and drink stations and the support all the way round was fantastic.  

• Well done 330 on signing up for the Glasgow half, I did it in 2012 and doing it this year with big changes (i.e. I now run with a club and am training much better). I liked Glasgow and I signed up again to beat my 1st time, the start is a bit hectic esp running up St Vincent Street, try the parkrun at Pollock on a Saturday morning as the run generally takes you through there; I thought that was the most lonliest place I ran.

In terms of numbers, there will be loads doing it but I guess it'll start getting busy over the next couple of months.

• CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

I signed up for it. Did the Rock and Roll Edinburgh half in 2012 and GNR in 2013 but not done more than 10k since then. Decided to start upping the miles again in case I either get into the VLM or decide to do Edinburgh (my local).

It's been fun upping the miles and re-learning the names of all the muscles and tendons that bother me after more than an hour's running. Attempting to do more cross-training and stretching this time round, and also build the miles up more slowly.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I haven't yet signed up for it, but I know I will. Have done this race last two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great route, finish section is really good, and who doesn't want to run over the Kingston bridge? Support from locals is good, esp. along the Broomielaw. They have a unique display at around 12 miles which registers your chip as it passes over a mat and displays any messages which people have put on their website for you on a giant screen, which is kind of different. And you're pretty much guaranteed cool conditions in Glasgow in October!

• I work just off the Broomielaw and train most days down there and onto Glasgow Green. Looking forward to the event

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I last ran the Glasgow half in 2007 BC (before children) and used to love it - I ran 8 in a row from 2000.  For me the best bit on the route was the unofficial drinks/oranges/hoses section at 9 miles.  I know the route has changed, but I can't work out if it still passes there.  Anyone done it pre and post route change who can enlighten me?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

That section was totally cut out in the 2013 edition of the race, but looking at the route map it was back in in the 2014 race. Albeit at the start of the race rather than the later stages. Last year the route after the Kingston Bridge appears to have reversed in direction from what it normally was.

Last year was the first time I'd skipped this one after having ran every one since 2007. Will probably be back for it this year.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nessie - I did it last year and I don't remember any unofficial drinks, oranges or hoses, but I am the sort of person who might well not notice if there were.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

It was the area the Sikh community tended to come and support at. In days past it was the area just after you'd come out of Pollock Park around miles 9/10, but with the route changes over the last couple of years that would no longer be the case.

It was the best part of the race, which they completely ditched in 2013 so they could have everyone running along the bloody Clydeside Expressway!

• Haven't done it in a few years... overpriced and over hyped for a (at the time) crappy over sized cotton t shirt that never again was worn. Kirkintilloch Half on the same day - much cheaper, better value and way less crowded (if a tad hillier!!image). Agree with Eggy as well, why would you want to run along an expressway??? Have gone for club organised/smaller races for years. Not those endorsed for profit.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

They have actual sizes of t-shirt now. image I will probably do it because it's a fast race, I like big events because they make you run faster,* and it's the Scottish championship.

*this is not to say I don't also enjoy small events. But not for my autumn PB target.

• Kirkintilloch HM for me also. Friendly well organised race, one of the best tee shirts you will receive and a nice route under the campsie hills. Give it a try and support club led races rather than these rip off mass populated races that really have no interest in runners just money. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bigeater, I know you don't mean it this way, but you seem to be suggesting that people who like to do big events sometimes or who have entered Glasgow half are NOT the kind of people who support club-led races. This clearly isn't the case. Many of us are the same runners. And given that Scottish Athletics has selected Glasgow as its championship race, there will be a lot of club runners there, many of whom are very active in local athletics and organise and help out at smaller races on a regular basis.

• Hi, you're right I don't mean it that way and I'm not suggesting that at all. Many club runners I know personally are doing Glasgow, what I suggest is the mass race organisers wouldn't care if they didn't have any 'runners'  at all as long as they're 10000 places are sold as then they would hit they're profits. Sorry if I came across wrong, everyone is entitled to do the race of their choice, all I was trying to do was to point out there is other options that maybe offer better value for money and help support these athletic clubs where any profit is invested back into the club.