Recurring calf muscle injury

I have recently taken  up running. I started last summer however couldn't make it past 3 miles without my calf muscle pulling.( soleus muscle actually)  I warm up correctly so I was at a loss as to why my muscle went after running for about 25 mins.

I hung up my running shoes and started again about 8 weeks ago, all was fine, worked up to 2 miles, then 3 . Then 3 weeks ago same old problem. Limping around for days. I've been to see a sports physio who advised that I have a lot of scar tissue of my calf muscles . After a deep tissue massage and instructions for additional warm up moves, stretches and foam roller exercises was told to build up running again and return to see her in 2 weeks  time. Was feeling hopeful however despite  following all the advice etc have pulled soleus muscle again- twice .

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated.   Anyone out there with any nuggets of advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi there,

my advice would be to see a chiropractor to see if you have some tightness in your  back that is pulling on your lower leg.

i had reoccurring pulled/tight calf in my left leg and saw a Physio several times. He massaged it, gave me exercises to do and also did acupuncture on the knot but it never really fixed the underlying issue. I also got new trainers and did foam rolling and stretches etc. But it was only when I saw the chiropractor that it really made a difference and, touch wood, my calf is now fine. The problem was tightness in my back...even though I was getting no pain in that area. The chiropractor has also does acupuncture on my calf, which really helps to release any tight bits.

• Oh I also sometimes put a hot water bottle on my calf before I start running for 5 mins, to help the muscle warm up.

• Thanks Estrella.

I have a further physio appointment next Saturday but will also look into arranging an appointment with a chiropractor. You are the second person to mention that ,a local joiner I know was having calf problems and he also went to a chiropractor . I do have lower back issues so it may all be  connected. Odd isn't it?

• I am having similar calf issues but deep heat and foam rolling resolves issues
  • Aaaah! I'm at a loss. Sports physio is expensive enough and I'm keen to follow her advice- heat, massage, foam rolling. I guess I could spend so much money on this ( which I really cant afford) for what is really me trying to maintain some fitness by doing a couple of recreational runs a week. I've no desire to run any further than 10K , but right now that feels like a pipe dream.

Thanks Pez, its good to know that your treatment is working, I'll just need to stick with it.

• Hello Lorna, How have things been for you since April 2015? I am experiencing lots of similar problems with my calf muscle