Bursitis at base of big toe

I've been training for VLM, following P&D's up to 55 mile plan and have been quite lucky on the injury front and haven't had to miss any sessions. I did a tapered 16 mile run today and all was fine. However I noticed afterwards that there is a lump at the base of my big toe. When I feel it, it feels like a bag of fluid as I can move it from side to side. It causes no pain whatsoever, even when I massage it, but is a sizeable lump nonetheless (bigger than a pea, about size of a kidney bean). Dr Google reckons this is bursitis as apparently you can get this at the base of the big toe. Rest seems to be the recommendation for bursitis in general but most of the things I read talked about reducing the pain. Has anyone had this before from running? And if so, can I expect it to get worse, start to hurt? I'm not sure whether I should just ignore this or whether I should look to getting it drained soon.

Comments

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Bumping this up as hoping to find someone else who's had this...
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭

I had a bit of bursitis in my knee a few years ago and tried the old natural remedy that my mum's husband always swore by which is apple cider vinegar and honey, it tastes absolutely foul but seems to work.

There is a small swelling on my knee at present and I have just started on this again, just as disgusting but if it works that's fine by me.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jugula, it's worth a try! I'm so tempted to lance it myself but know this wouldn't be wise 12 days before the marathon. It's still not causing any pain, so I'll try and ignore it. I'm just anxious to find out from anyone if I can expect it to get worse? Taper madness!
  • I had a bursitis of my heel - it was painful. GP stuck a sterile needle in and drew out fluid with a syringe. It was still tender and podiatrist cut a hole in chiropodist felt to put around the bursa area. This allowed me to run until the bursa cleared. I must stress that what the GP did didn't actually draw out that much fluid. I think the hole in the felt and the padding around the hole helped. I had to stop running for 2-3 days only. I then kept changing the felt - the podiatrist gave me several pieces with holes in. Not sure if you could do this in a big toe though! Perhaps see if GP can draw out any fluid??

Good luck

PS I wouldn't lance the bursa yourself- just incase you get an infection.