Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• This is going to be my first. Great to hear the views of those who have done it before. Keep telling us about how it is all downhill. Are roller skates allowed or those heely things the kids use to glide round supermarkets?
  • Earl you have to climb uphill to come back downhill!!!! but the views looking out onto Brighton were pretty decent.  The 2nd half of the race is pretty flat.

• What? I hoped it was going to be like that Escher painting!
  • I'm in - entered at the 2015 expo!

Brighton 2016 will be my first ever marathon. Whether it'll be my last I'll let you know post race. I'm 50 in a few weeks so first marathon at 50 seemed as good a reason as any.

HM times suggest 3:10 doable. Nudging towards 3:00 would be amazing, but I'd have to improve my injury record of the last two years to make that remotely possible. As long as I don't blow up, my minimum achievement is 3:20 which'll get me in as GFA at London in 2017, but see second sentence of second paraimage

• Hi all, I'm entered. I started training today; 3 miles round the local park. Didn't quite manage to run it all and what I did run was at a snails pace but still run 1, week 1: tick!

It's my first marathon and my only goal is to cross the finish line before its dark...
  • Welcome aboard, Sarah.  Great to hear you're up and running (pardon the inevitable pun) - it's all about the groundwork and time on feet just now.  What made you decide to step on to marathon distance?

Sounds like you're speedy, cicerunner!  Didn't get into the ballot for VLM this year, but it's a relief in it's way.  Means I don't have to worry about a rapid recovery; this is most certainly my 'A' race for the Spring.

• I've done a few halves, and my bro in law convinced me to try this last year but I picked up and injury in the Great South Run so postponed. I tell people I've really been struggling with my injury but honestly it's just an excuse to be a lazy bones.

We have a lot coming up this year (building an extension, mother in law moving in, starting a new job) so I thought if I don't start now I never will. Slow and steady wins the race...

Incidentally bro in law is having an op and conveniently can't run it this year!!
  • As entries are closed, I've opted for Manchester next year rather than wait on the possibility of extra places and the potential disappointment of not getting in. But this is one I'd consider another year, for sure. Good luck, folk.

• Sounds like things will be a bit chaotic at home, Sarah; a perfect excuse to stick your trainers on and escape it for a bit image  That in-law better be on the home straight to see you over the line then!

It's a bit odd to think this is just over six months away.  Feels like forever and no time at all now my Autumn marathon's over with.  Winter is coming...

• Winter is coming indeed and I've picked a Spring marathon (Brighton) for my first one - must be mad but hey ho. Have cheered on family in VLM and after umpteenth miss on the ballot decided to give Brighton a whirl.  Couch to 5km starts tomorrow so i'm running regularly in time for training schedule.  Huzzah!!

• well never heard back from the hospital with an appointment to have a look at my feet so as training for Brighton due to start in 2 months I’ve had to bit the bullet and go private off in a minute for the appointment

• Good luck Toby, hope the appointment goes well.

I managed a run on Thursday which is 3 since Sunday. I'm really happy with that. Still extremely slow and struggling to get to the full 3 miles without one or two walks but I can see and feel improvements image

I've found a training plan which is 16 weeks long - it starts at 5 miles. So there's time to get up to speed before I make a start on that.
  • Seems to go from bad to worse Toby. Not been your year or 2 has it mate? Thanks for all the great advice over the years, thoughimage

• Good luck Toby! Hope you get fixed in time for Brighton training.... remember you put soo much in last year to then get injured.  Hope you don't miss out again.

• Slightly smaller field for our next marathon Rob. 35 to date!

• I think I might have the wrong Rob(Bishop?)

• yup I'm O'Hara clues in the name lol, was thinking I know Abingdon does have a big DNS rate but still expecting over 500 and Thames Meander marathon maybe bleak but again 400.

• I'm doing Thames Meander. Bleak??!

• Hi all

Well went to the chiropodist she given me four or five stretching exercises  and suggested a couple of other things as well all so sent the insoles i had away to be adjusted although this will be an extra cost so i now have to make the effort to do the exercises everyday

Robert and Sarah thanks for the good wishes I’m hoping to be fighting fit by December when training starts i think the layoff the running has done some good as the running was beginning to be a bit of a chore but now I’m really missing it

• Toby I got the impression before you were injured that you were losing your mojo, time off is a good healer and we don't do this marathon because we have to, it's not to impress anyone, its because we want to.

IkleBasielButn I'm hoping this weather stays how it is for a few more weeks!!! I have Abingdon Marathon (aim sub 4) this weekend so my legs won't be too fresh come 7th Nov where also targeting another sub 4 but will see how the legs are.

• I'm really trying for a sub 4 if you fancy pacing me! Never managed it before...

• Will see how the legs are after this weekend will be happy to set off at sub 4 pace then see what happens.  Looking at previous results I'm sure we'll be in good company

• B******* to London, I'm in Brighton 2016! 

• Well Played.  Same here.

• Hello. Not been in here or running for ages but finally back. Entered Brighton so now it's the hard slog back to fitness. Managed a 10k race last weekend and loved it (good start) but was my slowest ever ever every at 1:26:48. Zero to 10k in 5 weeks was never going to get a pb so I was just happy to be out there plodding.  So I'm looking at sub 6 for Brighton. Good to be back. Looking forward to hearing about everyones training. 

• Nice to hear you're getting back out there, Soup Dragon.  The you'll get quicker as you get fitter, and it sounds like you've got the right attitude there!

Just 25 weeks to race day image

• Thanks meadower, I'm hoping speed picks up. Sticking to six miles for next 4 weeks as a base then adding some pace before upping the distance. Been out for a 3 mile plod yesterday and its certainly feeling easier at last. 

• Hello. Here we go again. I lost the plot in this thread a few months before this years marathon. We all got displaced at work and had to reapply for our jobs and that coupled with other things going on meant real life took over from sitting in front of my PC of an evening.

I got round Brighton in 3:39 so I beat last years time by just over a minute.

How did you get on Toby?

• Hi Swerving

Have to say Brighton was a disaster this year training went all to pot then got injured and lost all my MoJo

i ended up walking most of it with my daughter it took over 6hrs next year’s not looking great ether I’m having trouble with my feet and haven’t run since June

and despite trying the doctors and going private it not looking like I’ll be up and ready for when the training starts in December but still have my fingers crossed