Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• Ouch Toby!!image Things can only get better. 

• Signed up to this earlier in the year...should be good. Hoping for a PB!!

• I've booked on to this, will be marathon number 2, come on!
  • Hello all. This will be my first attempt at a marathon. Really looking forward to it, all the reviews suggest it is great atmosphere. Fingers crossed for a good winter of training and good luck to all. 

• Welcome aboard, the three of you.  How has your running been going, SteveMac?  How was number 1, Richard?  And what inspired you to choose Brighton, Barry?

Hope you're making inroads on the injury front, toby.

• Meadower - well the seaside feels like a good place to go for the weekend and last year the weather looked amazing (hoping it repeats itself!).   I've been told that it is a 'friendly' course too.

• #1 is Barcelona a month or so before Brighton.

I picked Brighton because it's vaguely local (I'm Surrey).

Third will be one in France called trail du tertre grip while I'm on holiday.
  • I admire your bravery, Richard! I've heard good things about Barcelona (the city itself is brilliant, I can vouch for that); seemingly it's well worth doing the Breakfast Run on the Saturday too.  It'll be a light few weeks in between, I'd imagine.

Barry, I hope so too!  

• I've entered this as my first full marathon. Did a half in may 2014 then had 14 months out with injury. Started again in August. Ran a half today. Not quickly but comfortably. Can't wait for Brighton
  • Toby - I developed PF in 2012. I still ran Brighton in 2013, but only trained 2 days a week. I know you would like to keep up your ever present like me. Running 2 days in a row was a no no for me with PF.
  • Meadower - Training has been OK. I've cut back mileage after my first marathon in October (Bournemouth), but will be starting back on marathon training the middle of December.

• Hi all

well finally got an appointment at the foot clinic that’s next week not bad considering I’ve put in for it at the end of August so will see what they say tidied the garage this weekend which means i can finally get to my treadmill for the first time in months

So I’ve tried a run on that to see if there’s less impact on my feet also tried running by placing the sole of my feet down first instead of my heels as normal

Hi Tracy still haven’t given up hope of running my right foot doesn’t seem as bad as it was but the left one is still painful at time it doesn’t help that my job means I’m on my feet for anything up to 10 hours a day at the moment but the inserts i paid for seem to help plus the two pain kills/ibuprofen i take before i start so i think i my well still be in with a chance of running

• I ran my first marathon in London this year and it was the best experience ever, I didn't get a ballot place for next year and my friends and families wallets are still recovering so I was loathed to get a charity place. I looked at Manchester and Edinburgh instead but was very nervous of the 6hr cut off time as it took me nearly 6.5 hrs to do London. My goal was to get round.

Don't judge me; but I've never been interested in the Brighton Marathon though I have done the half on two occasions. I guess it's all about London for me.

After a slight achilles tendon issue I decided I was going to focus on shorter distances and not do a marathon in 2016.......

That was until my run club announced they have places for London and Brighton - my marathon bug is now back and I really can't decide which one to do; I'm scared London won't be as good second time round. My wife thinks I should try a different course and push myself to go under 6 hrs (she thinks I've lost focus since not marathon training).

Brighton is just 10 miles from me and won't require an overnight stay so works out cheaper than London as I will need a hotel.

Thoughts? image

• Stef Brighton is amazing!!! I ran it this year and 7 months on my memories are of the crowds and how close they were compared to London (as the roads are smaller).  If you're local its an idea marathon and London Probably won't be as good 2nd time round.

Manchester is a 'quick course' but I don't think its scenic a lot of out and backs (not ran it myself but is on the list to do)

Edinburgh wasn't one of my favourite races either, fairly boring course and if you get bad weather your open to the elements. 

Toby good luck hope it all goes well for you

• Stef26

sorry can’t help with info on Edinburgh or Manchester as I’ve only run Brighton next year will be my 7th time and i have to say i does seem to get better each year they have changed the course a couple of times since it started back in 2010 to make it faster and although there are still some short uphill bits there more like undulations than hills the rest of the course is flat giving you a go chance of going under the 6 hours   

Have to say last year’s race for me was a disaster as I’ve said above but i did manage to go from 04:14:26 in 2010 done to 03:37:09 in2013 it’s also a lot easier for your supports to as there are place on the course where they can see you twice without moving or more if they walk a little

Robert thanks I’m hoping they may be able to suggest something i haven’t try yet but sadly as it’s the NHS not holding my breath as the last couple of times I’ve gone through them they never really seemed interested in doing any thing

• For me London is the afterparty. Brighton is the main event. That could be because I live in Brighton. You can't beat sleeping in your own bed on the night before the marathon.

• Stef26 - London was also my 1st marathon last year and I have now done 5, there are other marathons and having done Brighton earlier this year I have signed up again to run next year, great race, great support and very good for a PB as I found London to be narrow at times and to many runners. Highly recommend Brighton !

• My love affair for London was too great and I've applied for a place through my club! image

For any of you doing Brighton next year keep and eye out for me (and some Worthing Striders) around mile 22 - I'll be there supporting and handing goodies to anyone who needs them xx

• Hi all

Well did i managed 2x 2.5 mile runs and a 5 miles run on the treadmill last week with 6 miles outside on Saturday wasn’t the fastest ever run but pleased as that’s the furthest I’ve run since June feet held up ok I have to say it’s like having to start all over again but I’m going to try the same this week to ease myself back into it

As i thought the trip to the foot clinic was a waste of time they think i have soft tissue damage so other than sitting down for 6 months with feet up there not going to get any better so sod it I’m going to run and I’ll just have to put up with the pain

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

25th April was my last post on here to announce I was going back to Brighton in 2016 for another attempt at my ellusive sub 3:30 having missed it by 4 mins this year. Where has the year gone!

ALL: Welcome to all the new people on here doing Brighton for the first time. As lots have said before you will not be dissapointed. I am going back for Brighton number 4! I don't live in Brighton like PC but I agree London is the after party.

toby3: I have been suffering with a right foot problem since I took on a 100km ultra back in August. It was a suspected stress fracture that now transpires to be soft tissue damage which you mentioned above. My GP advised to stop running on it for 3 or more months (Typical response) however I saw a private consultant who is into sport who suggested light excercise as long as it did not aggrevate the foot and cross training to maintain base fitness. I took it really easy to start with and feel your frustation as it was like starting again. I'm happy to say I can now run 3 x 10km's per week and the foot is holding up. Not 100% but heading in the right direction. I'm not sure there will be a magic sollution to be honest. I reccon the treadmill is a good idea to minimise the impact and stress on the foot or try running off road on a softer surface than the pavement or tarmac. GOOD LUCK MATE!

Good luck all with the winter training............... Its getting chilly out there!

• SAFER thanks i went to the running shop today and bought some shock absolving insoles and funnily enough the man in the shop also suggested off road as well so may well give it a try although there’s not a lot of places around here to do so

• Well that's the training plan printed out starts the second week in December Christmas week will just run when i can and do the mileage i feel like

• Those shock absolving insoles sound like a good ideaimage

• Blimey. Entered and had injuries etc. I have not been running, the most is 3 miles once a week. I am slow but worried I am kidding myself that I can do it. x

• well did the 5 mile and both 2.5 mile runs on the treadmill but never did the 6 started this week with 8 well say 8 ran 6 and walked the other 2 will try 2 x 5 mile runs this week may not get around to the 6 as were away next weekend

Envious plodder there’s plenty of times to get the mileage up find a training plan that suits you there are plenty out there and then there’s always the option of using the technique of running some walking some

• Brill running Toby.  Cheers for the advice. Just wishing I was in a better place to start.Training plan also printed off. Good luck with the insoles

Cheers for the welcome Safer

. image x

• Envious plodder it may help you if you go on to YouTube and type in Brighton marathon and watch some of the clips it will give you a good idea of the atmosphere and my help you with your mindset

• Great idea Toby3. Weather has been horrendous recently and looking at the various YouTube highlights really gives you a boost. In fact weather has meant spending more time in gym than on the road completing my couch-to-5k routine. Still, couple of weeks consolidating before starting my marathon training schedule. Roll on Apr 17th.

• well got my 2x 5miles in so it's going in the right direction training starts in earnest next week we've run Brighton for charity in the past sparks, guide dog for the blind are a couple this time around thing of prostate cancer as my dad had it but unfortunately it spread and he lost his lift to it back in 2002

• Thanks Toby.Watching the Brighton Marathon 2015  'series record' as we speak. Top running. and top charities too.Toby When does everyone' s marathon training start?  Is it really a week on Monday? image x