Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• Envious plodder everyone is different some start like me this week some after Christmas it really depends on the number of weeks in your training program

•  well went for a run outside today took myself of to a local park well a say park it's an old manor estate and boy was I wrong when I said it's just like starting from scratch in an earlier post I’m definitely starting from scratch half a mile in and I was puffing like a steam train only did 5 miles and the legs felt like lead i have a lot of hard work ahead if I’m going to get even close to the time i ran the first year

• Cheers Toby. Well done on the 5 miler. Sounds like one you have a horrible one, the next one is bound to feel better image

• Afternoon all

well first long run done should have been 10 but turned out to be just over 10 and 3/4's not the fastest run ever but i got around which is the main thing it will be interesting to compare it to the last long run for next year as that's 10 miles as well and will be run over the same course

• Afternoon all

did 7 miles on the treadmill yesterday but as I'm not shore how accurate the treadmill is now as it it's getting on a bit and was only a cheap one in the first place did 70 minutes as that should be at least 10 minute mile pace  well that’s the theory anyway did 5 on it again today

Will have a rest day tomorrow and then on Thursday do a slow 5 miler with the daughter as she starts her training for Brighton and 12 on Friday or Saturday depending on whether the wife’s  intends to do it as well 

• went out Saturday with the wife as this was her first run over 6 miles since September she did 10 miles i then carried on and did the other 2 so 12 miles done as it's Christmas week next week it’s going to be a do what you can when you can week run wise's

• Brill jump in mileage from Mrs Toby. Great running from Mr

Toby too image x

• Happy Christmas everyone 

I hope if you've stared training it's going well and for those starting after Christmas I hope it goes well

Did 8 on the treadmill Monday rested Tuesday as my foot was playing up a little then out for a 5 miler this morning not shore now how it's going to go over the next few days will  play it by ear

Envious plodder  thanks for that Poohbear (the wife) did struggle a little as her knee started playing up early into the run and by 8 i shed had enough i did suggest that she caught the bus home as it wasn’t worth aggravating it but Poohbear’s a stubborn devil and insisted on finishing the run 

• Poohbear sounds one determined lady! image

Toby, well done and good luck with the foot. . I have been out but not managed more then two,miles. Have a bit of time off so can start to get back into it. Out for a run shortly, just disappointed its stopped raining

Have a great Xmas everyone!imageX

• well Christmas is over with time to knuckle down to it went out with Poohbear today and did 8 miles

• Good luck to everyone starting their training for this one.  Ran it this year (2015) and it was one of my favourite races!  Lovely place, lovely crowd and the course is pretty decent too.

• Here we go then, time to start ramping up the miles for me ahead of Brighton, Done a couple of 10K cross countries over the Christmas period, both of which felt reasonable considering I've got some sort of lurgey (Cold) and I'm fairly pleased with considering I've been out injured for most of 2015.

I'm hoping for 3:30 to 3:45 at Brighton so there are some hard miles to go between now and then. Good luck with the training everyone.

• Happy new year everyone

15 miles for me today got lucky and just missed the rain does anyone one know whether it’s cups or bottles of water this year i have tried getting in touch with the Brighton marathon team but they haven’t bothered getting back to me

• Was up to a 17m long run just before Christmas. Then did a muddy 5k park run and sprained calf. Stopped running completely. In the last few days I have managed a few 15 mile flat easy cycle rides. Feels OK but going to stay off running for another week and stay on the bike to be sure. Will then have to adjust plan and ease back into it. Moral of the story is 5k fast off road is harsher than 17m road.
  • Earl sorry to read that hope the calf's better soon

• hi all

hope everyone's training going well I've  done a couple of 14 mile runs may try 16 this week  

• Slowly putting on the miles, averaged 25 per week for the last couple of weeks and all feeling reasonably good, I need to start pushing the LSR's upwards now, looking for 12+ this weekend (up from 11) then add an average of 2 per week for the next few weeks in the hope I can avoid injuring my old ankles and knees with the slowly slowly approach.

Hope everyone's staying warm, dry and injury free.

• Well  Poohbear Brighton is over she's got to have a ingrown toe nail removed and a chemical put on it to stop the nail growing back others wise she would have the same problem again  the operations next month and take 6 to 8 weeks to heal

went out on Friday for my run due to a massive miss calculation on my part ended up doing 19 miles but if I’m honest I’d had enough by about 14 so i think I’m going to have to revise my training plan and  adjust the run walk pattern some what 

• Did 18 on Friday try something different did a 3 mile loop then home for 3 miles on the treadmill? then out again for another 3 mile loop and so on seem to work ok was going to do the Longleat 10k but there opening the park a week early which would have meant dodging  cars so have deferred till next year have the bath half next month will be a good way to test the foot out

• Did 28.2 yesterday. Got the distance sorted. Now for some speedimage

• good work everyone! did my first 20miler last weekend  - quicker than equiv run last year so hoping to beat the 3h 18min i ran Brighton last year. Running for Guide Dogs again - such an amazing charity and a fantastic marathon! see you on the start line

• How are we all doing then? I thought I was making good progress with my long run up to 17 miles but I see I'm way behind some of you. Anyhow, I'm hoping that all my injuries of 2015 are behind me now and that nothing will scupper my marathon in April. I'd love to finish in under 4 hours but I'm not too optimistic. My best marathon was 4hr 5 min two years ago and I haven't been able to train as hard as I did back then. Any speed work makes my hips hurt. I'm going to concentrate on the LSR instead. Maybe that will be enough.

• Like you Skylarker I'm behind too, I'm up to 16 miles but the plan is to arrive at the start injury free. Plenty of time still to go, got the half in February.

Hopefully we'll all get there injury free image

• It's been forever since I posted on runners world forums. I'm back for my first marathon attempt in Brighton after a 11 year break from marathons due to constant injuries of one or another.  I'm behind a lot of you as my longest run is only up to 15.5 miles but I have to be super careful with avoiding injury.

Most likely my marathon will be a run-walk targeting about 4:30 to 5 hours.  An hour slower than I used to be but 11 years is quite a gap.

Hope everyone's training goes well through the tough month of February.

• Tough? The sun is shining !!

• Hi everyone! I'm doing this race for the first time (it's my second ever marathon - I did Edinburgh last year), and I'm really looking forward to it! The training is going ok, although I'm only up to 15 miles so far. I'm doing the surrey half in March and am planning a 20 miler this weekend.

i did Edinburgh in 4:27 which was a bit longer than I expected, but the wind was blowing a highland gale, and I misjudged my hydration and had to stop and queue twice for the loo! Hoping for closer to 4 hrs this time.

good luck to everyone running this race!

• sad to say I'm out this year have now tried a couple of longer runs on the road and only managed about 12 miles before my feet were crippled I'm going to swap to the 10k this year instead 

• Hi again! Just wondered whether anyone knew whether there are going to be pacers at this event? I have looked on the website and cant find anything about it. Thank you.