Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• Has anyone received their final runners instructions yet? I read they were meant to come last week but I assume they may be coming over the next few days?

Agreed that the info pack received a month or so ago contained about 3 useful pages and 40+ of glossy pictures that added very very little

• A link to the runners pack was emailed out a few days ago... Mine went to my spam folder so take a look there, but you don't need it, just go to the website and they are on there too. 

Ian - don't you have to pre arrange to start in the elite start zone? 

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

The runner instructions are up on their website anyway.  Because I'm nice: http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/runner-instructions

I don't think you'll get in the elite start, Ian.  You choose at the expo, and the Red is the front pen (sub 3:30).  Main thing is find your original acceptance email and take it to the expo so you can pick up your number. 

I've become slightly obsessed by this.  Now that the last long run's out of the way, I just want to fast-forward a couple of weeks.  Hurry up, Time!

• Yes I have a email to confirm I have qualified for the fast start I think it's because I ran sub 3:15 (3:14)in 2014 london marathon
  • john2443 wrote (see)

Is it possible to drive past the rail closure and get the train in from Arundel/Littlehampton/Worthing? Obviously depends where the closure is. If there's a way to avoid driving in Brighton on Marathon day I'd avoid it!

Churchill Square car parks are open, the queues to get out during the afternoon are horrendous though, so if you're in a hurry to leave afterwards I wouldn't go there. I guess it might take an hour to get the first mile? If you do go there don't leave town by the A23, try to go west/northwest, you'll bump into the A27 at some point.

If your wife drops you right next to Preston Park she'll be on the wrong side of the closed A23 to get to car parks, would be better to drop you west of the A23.

London road car park might be OK, accessible from the west (Old Shoreham Road) escape is faster afterwards, it's close to start but is a walk from finish, your family could walk along the marathon route from there into town.

Brighton Station or Trafalgar Street might also be OK, halfway between start and finish.

Getting the train from Preston Park station to town isn't really worth it, there's limited parking round there and Brighton Station is still half a mile from the seafront.

Thanks John2443,  I reckoned the same, drive to Littlehampton then train in. I hate driving anywhere thats busy, more stress than its worth. Was hoping for a quick ish exit to, goal time sub 3:20 so fingers crossed to beat some traffic. 

Good luck everyone and thanks. 

• Why not drive to Shoreham, Southwick or Portslade? In fact Portslade is great for spectators as they can wander down to the seafront and watch the race...plus make their way to the finish if they want. 

For those looking for accommodation, you might be lucky with the Black Lion at Patcham otherwise, try along the coast towards Worthing. Or Lewes. 

Don't what ever you do buy a NCP car park spot in North Street/Church rd, the road closes at 6am and you won't be able to access it. This happened to quite a few last year. 

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Just received volunteer info, nothing new in there except

"At the time of going to print on 24.03.16, Preston Park station is set to be closed on Sunday 17th April. Please check the Travel pages of the web site closer to the event to check for any updates.) www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/travel"

That usually means there are no trains between Brighton and London, rail replacement buses from 3 Bridges or H Heath but at the moment Notwork Rail journey planned doesn't mention this.

• Thanks for the info! Travelling from London on the day and would've gone to Victoria which looks like a no go. London Bridge looks okay though so hopefully it's doable....

• Hey I'm curious if there is a pasta party anyone can recommend?

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

There's no pasta party, AFAIK.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

How are we all?  Is the tapering going okay?

• Tapering starts tomorrow, had a poor park run yesterday that highlighted how tired my legs are so just an easy 9 miler this morning, going to have a very easy couple of weeks now, get some life back in the legs for a 3.15 attempt. Will be keeping an eye on the long range weather forecast to get the first hints of what we can expect.

• I'm hoping it's not too warm...my previous marathons have been just a tad too sunny and I spend half the race pouring water over me...

• Last long run done. 12 miles, should have felt easy but legs felt heavier than last weeks 19.5! Like Jason Temperton I'm hoping the taper will get some life back in my legs. 

I was also wondering if the time had come to obsessively check the weathr forecast! Hoping it won't be too hot, but am I right in thinking it's been sunny and fairly warm for every Brighton marathon so far?! Metcheck currently saying 10-12 degrees, cloudy in the morning, rain in the afternoon. Sure that will change over the next couple of weeks though!

Hope the taper is going well for everyone image

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

It's been dry for every BM so far, year 3 was quite cold on the seafront (well, it was when standing about marshalling), year 2 was hot, I think the others were warm.

I keep expecting a wet year image

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

The taper's come at the right time for me, with my knees starting to play up.  It'll be a bit of a coast to race-day now.  That said, ran a hard 5.7 miles for my club at the road relays today - I'd asked to run a short leg (3.1 miles) with it being two weeks to race day, but no luck!  I'm pleased with how it went, but the legs are heavy.  Clearly not built for speed over the short stuff just now.  

I'm looking forward to a parkrun by the shore on the Saturday to stretch the legs before the short walk to the expo to pick up my number.  Will probably head to the cinema to put up my feet for the afternoon, then,

As for the weather...ach, it is what it is.  And a cracking excuse for missing your target time if it's a stinker!

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Meadower wrote (see)

I'm looking forward to a parkrun by the shore on the Saturday to stretch the legs

Choice of 2 parkruns on the route, Preston Park crosses the start line 6 times, Hove Promenade does 1.25k twice in each direction.

Also 2 more (Hove Park and Bevendean Down) but they aren't on the marathon route.  

• For those of you travelling from london, The journey planner says trains are running from victoria. London bridge options seem a bit limited. I take the below to mean that the victoria disruption is mainly over night. Let me know if im wrong. Preston park looks open.

Amended trains to / from London Victoria on Sunday 17 April  

Engineering work is taking place between London Victoria and Balham closing some line.

Overnight trains are diverted to start / terminate at London Bridge and will not call at London Victoria. Buses will run between London Victoria and Clapham Junction / London Bridge / East Croydon.

All other times trains will run to a reduced times on most routes.

Until 06:20, Gatwick Express trains are replaced by buses throughout. From 06:20, a half hourly Gatwick Express service will operate as follows:

London Victoria to Gatwick Airport trains will depart at 00 and 30 minutes past each hour.

Gatwick Airport to London Victoria trains will depart at 20 and 50 minutes past each hour.

Planning your Journey

For full details of these changes and the impact on your journey, please use the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    john2443 wrote (see)
    Meadower wrote (see)

I'm looking forward to a parkrun by the shore on the Saturday to stretch the legs

Choice of 2 parkruns on the route, Preston Park crosses the start line 6 times, Hove Promenade does 1.25k twice in each direction.

Also 2 more (Hove Park and Bevendean Down) but they aren't on the marathon route.  

Cheers, John.  I'd seen that; was thinking going to the start on Saturday morning would put the mind at ease for the same journey on Sunday, but I'm happy with Hove Prom for a flat, easy run.

• Due to an injury I can't run this anymore - I have three rooms at the travelodge on the seafront for the Saturday / Sunday night if anyone is interested..................

• How much do you want for them all ?
  • esuuv wrote (see)

Due to an injury I can't run this anymore - I have three rooms at the travelodge on the seafront for the Saturday / Sunday night if anyone is interested..................

i might be interested in 1, if it would sleep two adults and a child. How much ?? 

• sorry to hear that, good luck with the recovery

• If people are still looking for rooms I just booked one for the Travel lodge at Preston Park. I guess the cancellations are starting to come in now so it's worth keeping checking. 

• Is this seriously the Brighton marathon thread? Or is there another one I cant find? Cant believe only 11 pages

• ian miler wrote (see)
    Anyone starting on the Fast Start-Withdean Park
    I plan to start with the sub 3:15 group then if all is well push on at around 18m to try get closer to 3:10 any advice or anyone trying the same ?

Ian I'm in Fast start and aiming for 3:10 - 3:15. I have never been able to push on in final few miles just a case of hanging in there for me. Only elites really should be doing negative splits I think.

• Yes I think your right it's a hard decision I feel I could run @7:15 pace just might have to put a spurt on at the end to duck under 3:10.

Hopefully the weather will be kind as well !!
  • MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

RejuvenatedTortoise wrote (see)
    ian miler wrote (see)
    Anyone starting on the Fast Start-Withdean Park
    I plan to start with the sub 3:15 group then if all is well push on at around 18m to try get closer to 3:10 any advice or anyone trying the same ?

Ian I'm in Fast start and aiming for 3:10 - 3:15. I have never been able to push on in final few miles just a case of hanging in there for me. Only elites really should be doing negative splits I think.

Really?  I think anybody with a solid plan based on solid training should be able to run a negative split.  I've only actually done this 2/8 marathons I've ran, but all it means is you felt good, stuck to your intended race pace, and had a little left in the later stages. 

Either, I wish you & Ian well with acheiving your goals next week.  How you get there is immaterial, I guess.  How did you both go about getting into the Fast start?  I'm gunning for a similar time but fully expected the red start was as far forward as I'd get.

Targets for me:
    Gold - 3:04:59 (London GFA)
    Silver- 3:14:59 (Chicago qualifer)
    Bronze- 3:20:53 (a PB)

Gold is a stretch, and I've other marathons this spring to hit Silver if it all goes terribly wrong.  This is the ambitious attempt.

• Meadower,

I got into the fast start as they asked for evidence of previous sub 3:15 marathons or sub 1:30 half marathons in think in the last 2 ish years.

The reason I mention that only elites normally aim for neg splits is that mortals like us will get too much impact on our muscles, that to maintain or even increase pace requires too much extra physical effort. Unlike elites who can burn extra anaerobic energy and build up lactic acid at the end without worrying about the extra problems us mortals have. - Put better in the advanced marathoners book by P&D.

Obviously this is based on achieving your best optimal goal (if you run the first half slow enough anyone could achieve a neg split)