Options

Election 2015

So I take a look at the candidates for my constituency:

1. The complacent Labour incumbent who has been there so long his backside is welded to the bench in the House of Commons.

2. The Conservative candidate who doesn't live, work or have anything to do with the borough let alone the constituency. He's a councillor in a posher borough to the south west.

3. The UKIP candidate who is so bent he was chucked out of the Labour Party for trying to rig a council vote.

4. A green candidate I can't find anything about.

Not an auspicious start.

On a positive note, Brownie points to the Lib Dem bloke who does actually live in the borough.

Comments

• Options

Caroline Lucas rides home on same bus as me. That alone makes her worth voting for. The weird Aussie girl puts me off. Can't think of her name, you know er...brain freeze

• Options

Natalie Bennett.

I'd consider voting for Caroline Lucas if I lived in Brighton.

• Options
    There's an election ? When , where ?
  • Options

I know I should vote and all votes can make a difference but my area has always been a safe seat for a party I don't want to vote for so I really can't see the point. I might just sit this one out.

• Options

the plaid candidate for us is only 26 and actually was brought up and still lives in my village ......

whilst being young she is amrried with 2 young kids and is a firefighter so has some life experience........I quite like the idea of someone who hasn't gone through the old boys network of school, oxbridge and then researcher in London and not actually lived in the real world

• Options

Peter.....if you dont vote you cant complain about any of them.......if all those who didnt vote because they wont make a difference, voted......there would be no safe seat

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

Peter.....if you dont vote you cant complain about any of them.......if all those who didnt vote because they wont make a difference, voted......there would be no safe seat

You're right of course, but I may just moan about it anyway. Still, we have a changing population here due to immigration so they may not have the same allegiences. Hopefully.

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭

Peeps who don't vote cos there's "no point" are the reason why we end up with governments who's mandate is around 20% of the available electorate.

Democracy, I thought is was majority rule, not 20% telling the other 80% whats what.

Just my opinion Screamimage

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

My seat counts as a marginal and tends to change hands between Labour and Conservative in line with the national trend. The local MP is regarded as hard-working and means well but when I had an issue he wasn't able to do much (despite being a member of the relevant committee at the House so he had influence and contacts, if not power).

He's also the party I don't want, so I shall definitely vote.

• Options

Marginals are where the action is - you get everyone on your doorstep. When you're in a safe seat nobody really bothers.

• Options

Very true. In 17 years at our address we have only twice had a prospective candidate at the door and one of those said he knocked on ours by mistake!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hmmm. Having looked up the stats I see it's not so marginal after all. Incumbent has a 9,000 majority from the 2010 election but won by a squeak in 2005.

I'll still vote though.

• Options

We did have an interesting couple of years when the council changed colour because of the opposition's stance on an unpopular transport project.

They did a pretty good job, improving recycling facilities, gating alleys and stuff  - then got ousted next time around. I lost quite a bit of faith in the electorate that day.

They did keep their seats in our ward for a while ( three very visible, hard working individuals)  but they have all gone too now, never seen hide nor hair of any of our new councillors  image

• Options
    senidM wrote (see)

Peeps who don't vote cos there's "no point" are the reason why we end up with governments who's mandate is around 20% of the available electorate.

Democracy, I thought is was majority rule, not 20% telling the other 80% whats what.

Just my opinion Screamimage

Even with a high turnout it's been quite common in the past for one party to get a large majority in the Commons with a minority of the overall vote, let alone a minority of the available electorate.

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

Hmmm. Having looked up the stats I see it's not so marginal after all. Incumbent has a 9,000 majority from the 2010 election but won by a squeak in 2005.

I'll still vote though.

Ours is about the same. The only way any arses are going get kicked where I live is by voting UKIP - and I'm not about to do that.

• Options

on a personal level.lib dems have no chance with me now..after their sellout....I have been one of the undecided who on the day depending on what the voting is for could go for one of 3 parties around here

now it has  been slashed to 2.unless a strong independent stood........but havent seen anything from them yet...

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Where I live, at least two parties reckon they're the 'only' chance of stopping the SNP.

• Options

When I look at the actual policies I'd really support - they all come from different parties image

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Where I live, at least two parties reckon they're the 'only' chance of stopping the SNP.

so they rae really giving some positives about themselves.....its a very negative way of trying to win votes.....

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I know I should vote but we have Nigel Farage and Al Murray!

• Options

I am amazed by the number of ukip signs up around here.....someone is puttin g some money into this campaign.....I would be gutted if they got in

• Options
    Cinders wrote (see)

I know I should vote but we have Nigel Farage and Al Murray!

Al Murray all the way image

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

He is actually standing as the Pub Landlord!

• Options

I know, I'd still vote for him over Nigel Farage image

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Then there's the candidate for the Al-Zebabist Nation of OOOG that wants to annihilate the whole town of Broadstairs if elected. We have quite a choice!

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I seem to have a distant relative who is standing as a UKIP councillor. Thats UKIP who are infested with BNP, hate "ting tongs from wherever" and blame foreigners for HIV. What an utter moron.

• Options

Interesting point. But totally untrue. I love that UKIP are there. They aren't a threat to who will run the country but they are a voice for the poor white trash. Who have no voice.That's why Labour and The Tories are trying to take the low paid out of the tax system to get their vote. Probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for UKIP

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Seren, Why would anyone in Wales or Scotland vote for UKIP? It is purely an English party for those racists who are not brave enough to come out of the BNP closet.

Nayan. It takes all sorts, but I guess your relative is one of those who wants to believe that UKIP is not just a racist party who only be want to fund the military so that they can use military transporters to deport those whose faces are not white.,
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I put this guy in the same bucket as the BNP Sikh division. Ie someone pushes his anti Muslim buttons and he ends up manipulated by racists. It's very stupid for folks of Indian descent who still talk about being kicked out of East Africa by IDi Amin to but it does happen.

Separately I don't think everyone who signs up for ukip is a racist. There are certainly racists there- they have been exposed on national tv let's face it. For the rest there are some disgruntled Tory voters who haven't got the joke yet and mistly some very gullible people being strung along.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that the folks who voted in hitker weren't all rabid racists either. Not at first anyway
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I agree, It is easy to create division when it is sold by saying that it will mean you are going to be better off financially, have more power and can take out all of your frustration on someone just because they are a different colour, nationality or religion.

Similarly, I was almost taken in by Daves election pledges yesterday. Only almost though, because the housing pledges are about social engineering/cleansing and all of the giveaways that would benefit me will be paid for by those poorer than me. I can see how those of a snooty disposition end up getting on the Tory Oligarchy bandwagon, but it is not for me.

SenidM- the 80/20 rule is well documented. Google it.