Planning a holiday around the Boston marathon?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has experience of this, not necessarily from a running perspective...

I may well have qualified for the Boston marathon next year. It's one I definitely want to do, but would have to justify the long haul flight by holidaying around it while there. I'm thinking bash out the marathon, then have 2 weeks after to trot about.

Since it's not destined to be the most clement weather for the time or place (hence no beach/sun lounging activity), what would people suggest? I know that might sound laughable - there's Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, all within a few hours on the train, so no shortage of things to do. I just wonder if that would get a bit much (especially for a country boy) after 2 weeks.

We both like food and drink, I like architecture and starting to dabble with history, and safe to say I wouldn't want to be very active after. I suppose crucially I'm always after a bit of "light and shade", variety and such.

• Has anyone run an abroad marathon and regretted trying to explore afterwards?
  • Is there enough to do in huge cities to stay for longer than a few days?
  • Do you go a bit loopy just city hopping? Would it be a waste to try and "rest" with all that's going on, or would a quick flight down to Florida half way through be a good call?

Interested to see if anyone has direct experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Well there certainly isn't that much to do in Boston.

New York is a crazy place and you may well get tired of the hustle and bustle after a few days but I wouldn't miss going if you have the opportunity. 

Despite being the capital, Washington DC is actually pretty small and doesn't have a "big city" feel  at all. It's very walkable and very safe and all the Smithsonian museums are free. There's also Old Town Alexandria (shopping, eating and lovely colonial houses) and Arlington Cemetary just a few Metro stops away. There are also some pretty good restaurants.

If you are not driving you can do Grayline tours to Gettysburg or Monticello, Jefferson's country estate or go up the Potomac to Mount Vernon, Washington's home.

You can easily spend a week there - I have, more than once. 

• Grand, some really good ideas there thanks. The grayline tours thing sounds like the kind of thing that would take the edge off city hopping. Thanks again for your help
  • djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Niagara Falls is worth a visit, fly to Buffalo then get a bus, or you can a coach and I know there is also trains that run directly also.

• Don't normally post but lived in Philadelphia for two years so:

Near (relatively) to Boston - Cape Cod for food, drink and whale watching

Niagara definitely within reach and worthwhile.

Maine - wild and beautifully empty.

New Hampshire / Vermont - not so wild but beautiful, particularly Stowe / Burlington / Lake Champlain

New York State - stunning, although we were there in Autumn

New York City - as above, unmissable

Philadelphia - Liberty Bell / Benjamin Franklin / scenes from the film Rocky. Plenty of history including battle sites from the War of Independence. Amish country in Lancaster county an hour east of downtown.

Washington DC - as above, has to be seen particularly the area around the Potomac River. - Lincoln Memorial, Cenotaph, White House, Korean War Memorial.

Two weeks wouldn't be enough image 

One point though, if you can drive really worth renting a car.

• Thank you both for your help, some excellent ideasimage

• I'd love the independence of renting a car but I'm a bit of a nervy driver at the best of times. Then with 6 lane freeways I'd be like a fish out of water! Haha, worth considering though thanks, I drove in Italy a couple of years ago and same deal with the nerviness but I suppose I got used to their crazy ways after a bit. With USA I imagine just the scale of things will floor me haha

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I was quite nervous the first time I rented a car in the States.  First time (a) in a rental car, (b) driving on the wrong side of the road, and (c) driving an automatic! But I reckon US drivers are less crazy than Italian drivers, and the fuel's cheaper.

I can't add anything to the above having never been to Boston (it's on the marathon bucket list) other than another obvious vote for NY.  Have fun!

• Boston is nice but it's small.

You walk the Freedom Trail, visit Bunker's Hill and that's it really. You can make a trip to Salem but that's about it.

I know because I've thought about going back but it didn't seem worth it.

• Thanks both of you. Cost wise, hotels are pretty expensive even if booked now. As Boston 2016 is too far away to book some things, I did a comparison between a DIY New York trip for their marathon this year and one provided by sports tours international. The whole price quoted by STI (chortle) seemed steep, but then totally reasonable compared with DIY. I thought if I put a bit of graft in I'd find cheap hotels etc but not so.

I'd feel more secure with sports tours for some reason, everything arranged for me, no guessing, and possibly it's cheaper, but obviously it's very rigid. Since I have a bit of adventure in mind I'll almost certainly DIY, just surprised about the cost difference
  • ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Aleik, I ran Boston last year and it was actually very warm while we were there. There's plenty to keep you occupied for a few days and it's nice to take it easy and soak up the marathon fever which hits the place. 

As others have said, Niagara, NYC and New England are with easy traveling distance - we did them all and had a fab time. 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

PS - we were in Boston Thursday - Tuesday and weren't bored. I like city hopping - the only drawback being you have to pack up and move on every few days. I found walking for a few days a bit tricky, but nothing major.