London 2016

This year I believe ballot enteries were open until 150k or so were received

Looking at site it seems this will be open for 2016 between May 4th - 8th regardless of numbers? am I reading the site correct?

Comments

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

I took it to mean that they were going to open it for a certain number of entries every day of that period to make it fairer for those applicants who can't get to a computer on one date only. There will still only be a finite number of entries though.
    I think that was it anyway image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That's how I see it. God knows how many names will actually be in the hat after 4 days.
  • Thanks guys Seems to me should be open for a limited time. This year 4 days next 8? 300k applying for ballot? Victim of its own success I suppose. And before anyone says it yes I know there are other marathons. Loch Ness is my goal but would like to do one more London
  • Look at it from their point of view....more people that can apply, more chance of people bequaething (sp??) their entry in the vain hope this increases the chance of getting in, more money raised, better press story about the amount VM raise by organising it. More about buisness then the few runners who can get in.

• FF

Your right of course. We have to accept the event really has nothing to do with serious running (apart from the Elite) and everyhthing to do with making money

• Limpar

They haven't made it clear on the site if you are correct

• Yeah apart from the pros and the elites and the good for age and the club places - the London Marathon is nothing to do with serious running.

There are only so many runners a course will take and still be a decent one to race. I think London has the mix about right.
  • After doing London twice and Manchester twice my opinion is that Manchester is a far better marathon for runners.  Definitely worth thinking about as a first choice rather than an alternative.  

• dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    Sorry folks but spoke to a nice lady at London HQ and she said that the phone lines open 09.00 Monday and close 17.00 Friday and entries will be taken at all times with no limit,so chances of getting in through the lottery are going to be very slim
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

i think its quite inclusive of them to allow more people to get their hopes up and then experience rejection.

• I wonder when they will announce the GFA times and if they are changing.

I'm hoping my 3.01.45 at Brighton will be enough but I've got a horrible feeling they will change the 18-40 male to Sub 3...

• What makes you think that ? They only changed it 2 years back ?
  • Flat Footed wrote (see)

Look at it from their point of view....more people that can apply, more chance of people bequaething (sp??) their entry in the vain hope this increases the chance of getting in, more money raised, better press story about the amount VM raise by organising it. More about buisness then the few runners who can get in.

Oooo, that's a good point.  I don't bequaeth, but I bet thousands do.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Not unless they write it into their will they don't 

• Agree they are hopping more will bequeath - all about the money

• There no upto date info on good for age ie how to enter and the forms or links. When will this be available anyone know ?

• dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭

They said yesterday that e-mails regarding deferrals would be sent this month,so,I would think that they would sort the GFA links out at the same time, surely they would want these done before the lottery rush starts?

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    It has to be worth a punt on the ballot. Someone has to get in, it might be you. Obviously donating your entry fee if you do not make it is not going to influence the ballot but I think you get a nice zip through top as a thank you.
  • It'll only work this way for one year, until they realise that they've got to pay to send out  400,000 rejection letters instead of 100,000.

Have entered Paris as a backup... 99 euros... and jobs a goodun. Will enter the ballot for London as well... but not optimistic.

I feel that people who have a previous London entry under their belt should be given less chance than a first timer, having now received 6 rejections in a row.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Gideon. It worked for me. The top was crap though.

The ballot has to be longer odds than ever now. Still no harm in doing it. I'll book up manchester at 45 quid and if London were to come up trumps it's the latter I'll be deferring.

Also if they get three times as many applications and the same proportion donate their entry fee refund to charity the event will raise far more money for good causes. It escapese why anyone thinks that's a bad thing.
  • Magna Carter wrote (see)

It'll only work this way for one year, until they realise that they've got to pay to send out  400,000 rejection letters instead of 100,000.

I doubt they are that naive. Either (a) the financial margins on the rejection magazines aren't that bad due to the income from all the adverts (b) They are going to switch to online/email acceptance/rejection messages or (c) the cost of entry will go up to compensate. Maybe they won't stick to this entry system but I doubt it will be due to the costs of rejection letters. They've been in this game long enough know to they will get many more entries this year and the consequence of that.

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    Nayan wrote (see)
    Gideon. It worked for me. The top was crap though.

The ballot has to be longer odds than ever now. Still no harm in doing it. I'll book up manchester at 45 quid and if London were to come up trumps it's the latter I'll be deferring.

Also if they get three times as many applications and the same proportion donate their entry fee refund to charity the event will raise far more money for good causes. It escapese why anyone thinks that's a bad thing.

It's a bad thing because it means people like me who enter the ballot are less likely to get inimage

I guess the main issue is that if you can't be committed to enter a ballot on a particular day then can you really be bothered to train enough for a marathon?

Ultimately, I think they've got the balance right. GFA people get their places if they want them, club runners get a few and a load of people get their charity places. Of all the different type of runners who run the race I expect it'll be the ballot places that are most likely to be squeezed.

If you're a slow runner you've got two* choices, join a running club or run for charity.

* choice 3 is run faster, but that requires commitment and a great deal of effort...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I tried to enter the ballot 2 years ago but the website wasn't working properly and then it closed. So I did options 2 and 3 instead. image

• Can't seem to find the ballot page.....any ideas??

• oops....now it's live!

• waited for ballot to open at midnight , all done in 15 mins - good luck everyone

• CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

Fell asleep watching MOTD2, woke up, entered ballot. Fingers crossed for me and everyone else!

• Entered!! Yikes !!Lets hope its a winner image

• I have just entered the VLM online via the ballot.  I didn't bequeath as many previous years I have done so and been unsuccessful with my entry so this year I thought I would do the opposite. 

Whilst I have a confirmation email, I wasn't asked for any payment details as part of my application. 

Is this correct?

• Aggie, yes that is correct.  Instructions on how to pay online go out with the acceptance packs in October. Just remember the password you used to set up the ballot entry as you'll need that when you pay.