Hamstring injury

i can run 5 miles at a steady pace with no ill effects but if I run at race pace the hamstring just above the knee tightens up after 2 to 3 miles. I am still able to carry on running but leaves the hamstring sorefor a couple of days. I can usually start jogging again after about 4 days but as soon as I up the pace the hamstring tightens again.Has anyone any adviice .

Comments

• Get your hammy stronger

• JimboJimbo ✭✭✭
  • I've had an ongoing injury for 3 years now. I have pain on the inside of my leg (the inside hamstring muscles apparently). I went to a sports therapist and he told me that I had hamstring knots. He massaged them out over a few weeks and I slowly got back into running and it was fine for a few months. I've been struck by the injury again but it hasn't left me for about 18 months. I have now been to physio and they have given me stretches and strengthening exercises and told me to run a little. Nothing seams to be working. I'm suspecting something worse such as a femur stress fracture. The pain comes on after exercises and hurts a lot when sitting down. Is this a common misdiagnosis and does anyone have any advice? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If you had a stress fracture of the femur you would be in a lot more pain and the pain would be when weight bearing.
    I assume you mean an adductor injury?   These can take a long time to heal and it's important to do the rehab exercises religiously.   Why not go to another physio or sports therapist, preferably one that is a runner and recommended by other runners, and ask for a proper diagnosis.
  • I've been to 3 different physios, and a highly recommended chiropractor. The NHS physio told me that it wasn't the adductor because there is not really any pain when they tested the area. Hopefully I'll get a proper diagnosis soon! Maybe a scan will be a good idea? 
  • Also is it a good thing to have pain after doing strengthening exercises and doing a bit on the bike? Is this part of the healing process? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Why not phone the physio that gave you the exercises to do and ask them about the pain.   I would certainly expect there to be some discomfort but not sure about the level of pain.
  • sorry about more questions. Is it normal to have a hotspot of severe pain when pressing on the area and then having pain around the area going down the leg towards the knee and a deep aching the day after strengthening? Obviously  it's hard to know from describing over a message. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, it really depends what the injury is.   If you had a tendonitis type injury it could certainly react after exercises and be sore to touch, tendonitis an also take a long time to heal and can flare up again.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Nordic Curls
    Bridge exercises and its variants
    Squats
    Lunges in all directions

If you have an iPhone or a smart phone download the '7 minute workout' 
    It will have numerous body weight exercises for strengthening your core.
    Running is not enough to do this. I have a weak right hamstring and when I do a 
    20 minute 5k pace it starts to twinge, the only way I can get up to and over is by keeping my core strong. Start now and in 3 months you will see an improvement.
    Why 3 months?
    Its always 3 months....