Running v Cycling

A large crowd of people successfully completed the Carten 100 yesterday - which is a 100 mile cycle ride from Cardiff to Tenby. To me that seems an amazing distance to cover. But as it now seems 100 mile + cycle events are accessible to 'the masses' it got me thinking how hard is such an event compared to say running a marathon? I ask as apart from the odd ride through the forest on a mountain bike I've never covered any sort of distance on a bike. So 100 miles on a bike v A marathon run - Easier, the same or harder? (I know a lot depends on the course but just after a general comparison).

Comments

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Difficult one to compare, but I'd say they are very very roughly in the same ball-park.
    One of the things that makes it tricky to compare is that there's huge energy savings to be had riding in a group, compared to running in a group.

• About 3 to 1 seems to be popular ..

• I think its higher - more like 4 or 5 to 1. But depends how you do it . As Ian says - if you just sit on someones wheel - far easier.
  • I'm never that lucky image

• Running KevRunning Kev ✭✭✭
    Taking an average on 4:1 then yes they would be relatively equal in effort.
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

The other thing to remember is that walking 26 miles is a different task to running 26 miles, But in cycling you could be putting out a power similar to walking, or one similar to running, and both would be classed as cycling.

• AllybongoAllybongo ✭✭✭

To me cycling is MUCH easier than running, could go out and do 50 mikes on my bike without training, just basic fitness levels.  If you're comparing 100 miles on a bike with a marathon in running then 50 miles should equate to a half marathon and I've no chance of achieving that, it's taking me weeks to be able to even run solidly for 5K

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I think 5 times, but I guess it depends on the effort, just a bike ride, or cycling as hard as possible. 

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I can 'easily' do 100 miles on the bike, with hills on just a bit of extra training.  Running 26 miles takes weeks of consistent training.  Also, its pretty obvious but you can coast a little on the bike, drafting or downhill, allowing your legs a few seconds rest every now and then, not so much let up on your own 2 feet!image

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I did a 110 mile sportive in the lakes on Sunday and in some ways it was harder than racing a marathon and some ways easier.    The marathon probably takes longer to recover from but the bike ride is probably harder on the day simply because it goes on for twice as long (depending on the terrain). 

Thanks for replies. Interesting views.

• The hour record for cycling is about 2.5 times the hour record for running, so that's one possible answer.

I think for a non-competitive event like the one mentioned it might make more sense to compare cycling to walking. For me a brisk walk is about 4 mph, the same level of effort on a bicycle is probably about 12 mph.

• Can I ask the same question about swimming?  I've been injured recently so have been trying to keep up by fitness in other ways, esp swimming.  And whilst I'm obviously climbing the walls about not running, I'm really starting to love swimming.  I read somewhere that 1 mile of swimming is about 8 miles of running (usual caveats about intensity etc), but I'm not sure esp as for me the swim takes about 40 mins.

Just curious - either way swimming is now very much going to be part of my marathon training.

• I'm really not sure about 1 to 8.

That'd have the IM swim as about a 19 mile run ? Feels nothing like a 19 mile run. But that could be the way I swim. (poorly)
  • 1500m swimming world record is 14:31, 1500m running world record is 3:26. So about 4 to 1.

There's a thing called an equilateral triathlon where each leg is meant to take a similar amount of time, the ratios for swimming, cycling and running are approximately 1:8:3.5.

Swimming, more than the others relies heavily on technique. Whilst some runners can be more efficient than others - swimmers can be many times more efficient than others (I'm in the non-efficient bracket!).

I was told once that if you get a running coach you may improve 5 or 10% but a swimming coach can pay much bigger dividends?

Tom - that equillateral triathlon ratio is a good benchmark - thanks.

• Running everytime i don't get punctures lol

A few weeks back i started cycling home from work due mainly too wanting too get home faster post a night shift and being knackered etc

Attempt one a puncture in the middle of sunderland city centre in the pxxsing rain

Attempt two no issues

Attempt 3 same as attempt 1

from here i spoke with a bike mechanic dude who recommended a change of tyres ie schwalbes for 50 quid and slimey inner tubes i did this then 40mins into a ride home from work i will leave the expletives that came out of my mouth too your imagination.