Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

HIAHS - I'd like to do more trail running in the summer, not necessarily racing, just a day out in the countryside with a pint of shandy and a sausage roll at the end. The other thing I'd like to do is get a proper sports fitness assessment done. My 5k, half marathon and marathon times are all totally inconsistent (my 5k time suggests my marathon time should be much quicker), and I'd like to get some expert advice about what I'm capable of. I don't take a very scientific approach to my training - I don't even own a heart rate monitor - so I'd be interested in what they have to say.

• Options

Lloyd - just read your post, that's just lovely. It is a beautiful morning. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

• Options

What a lovely run report Lloyd! I also think you're the only person I know who works in the Gherkin!

RR - a run ..... and a sausage roll ...... I want to come! If London suddenly springs some trails let me know and I'll report for duty!

• Options

My VDOT from my 5k time showed that I was only a min and half slower on my marathon than I should be. I rather suspect it's because I'm reverse engineering my times, I'm training for the marathon so I'm probably not as good at the short stuff as I could be, really I think that it's more realistic to not hit the marathon prediction as life just isn't that simple!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Using VDOT based on my 5k time my actual 10k PB is faster, as is my 10 mile PB. My half time is slightly slower, but I believe I can take that one on a flat course. My marathon time is a good ten minutes slower though!

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    LloydR - kudos for the 4am start, glad it was worth it & to think I used to be proud of my 6am runs !

Best wishes for tomorrow and sorry for your loss.
  • Options

LloydR... Inspiring post. I hope tomorrow goes as well as it can. So sorry.

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Lloyd R - great post to read, and hope all goes well tomorrow.

On the VDOTs, my 5k is waaay ahead of my others, and would have me as a sub 3  marathoner!  Just the 26 minutes off the projected time...and my half is better than my 10k.  I'm all over the shop.  Good to hear others are the similar to varying degrees!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Lloyd R - strength, mate. It will be horrible but it will be inspiring at the same time. Hold your family close. 

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Lloyd - wonderful post. Thank you. All the best for you and family

• Options

Hope everything goes as you would wish today Lloyd. Inspiring read.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Great running last weekend folks,loved the running reports.

Eggy:If you keep progressing the way you are,you will soon be looking at breaking the 3:30 barrier,well done.

Amsterdam is looking a little less likely for me now.Im holding off til after my holiday to Florida to book up.Ive been keeping an eye on flight prices,they have jumped quite a bit in the last week or so.Dublin might be the better option,cheap flights and also gives me an extra couple of weeks training as my training at the moment is start stop due to work and lack of motivation
  • Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Best wishes for today, Lloyd

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Lloyd - Best wishes for today.

Jokeybhoy - I'm some way off 3:30, but absolutely delighted with how my running has gone this year. I wouldn't have believed it had someone told me that I'd run new marathon PB's in Paris and Stockholm. The confidence I took from running a half PB at Loch Katrine over a difficult course has really been the springboard for those results.

• Options

Lloyd...thinking of you and your family x

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh:You've definitely got the commitment and the determination,I'm sure you could do if you aimed your training towards a solid 3:30 plan.You're heading in the right direction with your PB's at most distances in the last year or so,have faith
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - so far you've run to feeling and pushed the envelope. 

I wonder what would happen if you kept an eye on your pace. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Good question Orbutt. Although I got my 5km splits from Stockholm and I was very consistent. I seem to have a natural ability to hit a zone and then knock out a tempo on race day.

Radar Sal actually mentioned the day before the marathon that I was good at pacing "for a boy". Either that or she was saying I run like a girl!

Jokeybhoy - I've been enjoying my races this year. It sounds like a twatish thing to say, but actually Paris and Stockholm are the two easiest marathons I've ran. I didn't really start to suffer on either of those to very late on in the race and in Stockholm I felt I finished quite strongly.

I've not got any other marathons this year, but do want to have a go at my half and 10k times once I get this triathlon out the way in August. All in though I've had a great start to the year with my running. I started out well out of shape in January, but I've been consistent and bar a one week niggle completely injury free.

It feels great. My old marathon PB from 2012 was starting to seem like so long ago that I had pretty much given up hope of getting to that level again, nevermind chopping 5 minutes off it!

• Options

Morning all. Eggy - if you run like a girl, you run like a pretty fast one!

How was everyone's weekend? I had a very easy social 6 miler on Saturday (ie there was a pub at the end). Legs feel more or less back to normal but I'll still take it easy for a while.

• Options

Wendy, your plan looks quite sensible. I'd wear trainers for the long walks, rather than boots. If there are any hills, you could add in some short runs on the downhills. I know people who do whole marathons on a 'run-walk' strategy - the key is to find a pattern that suits you and stick to it. I am now at the point where I just stop at the refreshment points - for 30 secs to 2 or 3 mins (depending on whether there's cake image).

Lloyd, hats off to you for getting out for a run at that time. I commute and I must admit weekday running is a rarity because of it.

I did the Viking Coastal marathon on Sat- 4 laps along the north Kent coast. Small event, nice RDs and friendly runners. My 4th proper marathon and I managed to sneak under the 5 hour mark for the 1st time. V.pleased with that and rewarded myself with a paddle in the sea at the end. 

• Options

Thanks Claire, it's not a run walk plan just the tail end of my training for the pink ribbon walk to celebrate my 5 years cancer free. After this I will focus on my running. I will wear trainers though as that sounds comfortable.

congratulations on the pb in your marathon, good weekend for a sea paddle!

running rodent the pub sounds a good idea after the comrades, I can't believe you can run yet.

• Options

Wendy, I hope the training has gone well so that you can celebrate and really enjoy the walk - because 5 years cancer free seems to me worth celebrating! I started off as walker who gradually upped the running so I've got a lot of time for run-walk strategies.

It was a good weekend for a paddle. I could have plunged in for a swim, actually, but wasn't sure that salt water would be good for my running kit! 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RunClaire - Well done at the Viking Coastal.

Wendy - Congratulations on five years cancer free. Hope you are have a celebration for that one.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Gave my father a send-off on Friday that he would have been proud of. Lucky to have running as a release.

As for the early morning runs, I find it is sooo much easier when the weather is good and the sun is rising. Very early starts are a totally different challenge in January.

• Options

Lloyd...tough times at the moment for you, I agree running can certainly be good for clearing the head.

Wendy excellent news on 5 years cancer free image

RunClaire woohoo a nice new shiney pb ...well done!

This week is the start of getting some long overdue early nights in, runs are becoming rather lackluster and I'm feeling nackered all the time.....nowt to do with my age of course image .....now off to throw my old carcass round the gym !

• Options

Hello. Sorry for gatecrashing your Paris thread, was sent here via the Amsterdam one!

I ran Paris in April so don't feel entirely unwelcome image

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on running 2 marathons in a week, I'm doing Amsterdam and then Dublin 8 days later in October this year.

I've done a few marathons now but would love any tips on quick recovery and being race ready a week later?! 

MERCI !!!

• Options
    Paging Emmy...HIAHS...Weedy...

I suspect their recommendations will be to get some food into you as soon as possible after the first race, including plenty of protein. Also squeezing into compression gear soon after will help, along with a cold bath if you can bear it. A little gentle running on the days in between to aid recovery, and possibly a massage?
  • Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Aaron. I did Boston & London 6 days apart. There are crazy multi marathoners on here but my opinion is its very tough. I did a full winter training plan then raced Boston at my very best and fastest. 6 days later in London I was cursing after about 10k onwards. I was mentally fried and despite giving my all and producing a relatively quick marathon by my own standards I was slowing down and felt battered by the end. My recovery after Boston was soreness for a few days as my quads were trashed from all the downhill. Then a short slow run on the Thursday & Friday. In between all that I rollered I rested I elevated. Visiting the Expo for London helped to gee me back up for round 2. I say give your all in Amsterdam and just finish Dublin with no time goal expectation
  • Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

What's the time gap between Paris and London? I'm all signed up for Paris next year and probably London. I could google it but someone might day something more interesting that a google page...