Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Oh! I forgot to add, recovery-wise, I'm about to head out for some gentle intervals.  Nothing hurts now, and only ached a bit on Sun/Mon/Tues.  I could still do stairs etc!  The tiredness is getting to me a bit though.

• I'll do the bib list for 2017 - if you enter stick it on the thread and i'll periodically post the list up. In a couple of weeks someone will start a new thread but for now war stories should be posted here, we all want to know how it went!

• Erk, forum cut off the bottom bit of my race post! 

I'm in again for next year, 44052.

Other races I'll be at:

Ox light and dark (and maybe the half/full the next day?)

Barton Stacey 10K (14th May) - I'm on the organising committee for this one to, so do come along if you fancy it. It's in Hampshire.

Bacchus.

Lovely to met more new faces, looking forward to seeing you all again soon! Drop me a line if you want to connect on FB, or met up at a race.

• Don't forget to put what pen you are in too!

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

3hr 45 pen - 29451

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

Wendy, Tired Legs - Reassuring to know that feeling tired and yet not able to sleep isn't unusual after a marathon, yet another helpful thing I've learned on this forum. At least it meant I was awake in good time this morning to sign up for next year. I'd pretty much decided I had to do it again within five minutes of finishing, so even before I'd had my first beer. And next time I'll make sure I get to the Arc in time for the photo, and to the pub afterwards too.

Smudger - sorry to hear about your nightmare journey back, it sounds like Air France owe you a free flight, if you'd ever risk flying with them again. Sorry I didn't get to say hello in Paris, but hopefully see you at a race somewhere in the UK this year.

Nells - don't think I'll make parkrun this Saturday as a change of plan means I've got my boys this weekend, but hopefully catch up with you soon as well.

• I'm yellow pen - 9672. Excited already!
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭

HIAHS - I'm 43209, I think I put myself in the Green pen, nothing if not optimistic. Previous form suggests I'll be back in pink come marathon day though, but you live in hope.

Might have to get that book back form you after all Heroine...image

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

And Violet 29172!

• 68714 Pink pen but aiming to upgrade with more training!

Betzza I have some pics of you from Sunday if you would like them.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm in Violette 29460 image

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

No worries baldstan - see you there soon I hope. If I'm home, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be at Brockwell on a Saturday morning! I'm a bit miffed that I signed up to volunteer now seeing as I haven't run a marathon the week before! I'm considering the Clapham half on Sunday just to get some sort of a medal this month, but not really able to plan much in advance at the moment as things still aren't completely settled with family situation so will see how things are by tomorrow morning when registration closes...

• Well that has escalated quickly!! image

• Hello all! 

Am back in London now after a lovely weekend in Paris. I've digested the result a bit now and in hindsight I wasn't in the right frame of mind for this race. For me, it was just too soon to enter marathon training after Brighton (April) and Philadelphia (November) last year and I spent so much of the training period for Paris just slogging along, battling cold and viral infections, not really enjoying it. I got yet another cold the week before Paris and mentally I had the frame of mind of "just get through it", which is not really good for these kinds of distances. With the heat on the day, it's no surprise my body fell apart in the second half.

So, after all that, I am excited and happy to now focus on shorter distances for the remainder of 2016. I will stick to doing one (max two) marathons a year as my goal is getting quicker times, and it seems trying to do three in one year is too much for me physically and mentally. 

Alas, I wont be doing Paris again next Spring, but will be using my GFA time from Philly to apply to London (I still haven't raced London and I want to experience it). I may or may not do Chicago in the autumn of 2017, just see how i feel.

All in all, Paris was a useful and good experience for me, lots of knowledge to take away and I will be back one day to run there again for sure!! The support has been immense and I want to lurk and participate in the forum going forwards, and maybe come across as a minion!!!!! 

Special thanks to JimBob for his kind words

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

UrbanFoxLondon - That sounds like a sensible plan. I definitely suffer mental burn out as much as anything when I've tried to go from training from one marathon straight into another. I've entered Paris next year, but that cements my decision that I won't be running any autumn marathons this year.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    yer maj wrote (see)

I'm in Violette 29460 image

29691 for me.

Purple pen has always been the cool pen.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I can almost smell the selfie already....

• Cheers Eggy - I totally underestimated the mental part. It's hard to keep training for marathon PBs throughout the whole year and not burn out!!

Well done for entering Paris again - a good target race as any given what a great support network there is image 

• MattLMattL ✭✭

Hi all,

Congratulations and/or condolences to everyone for their performance on Sunday.

I ran the Paris marathon last year.  However, I had plans with my sister, so I missed out on all the BCRC fun (pasta, picture, pub, etc).  After lurking in the forum a bit again this year, I couldn't resist and I registered for next year.  It's a little early to know for sure whether my schedule will allow for it, but having my number already is a pretty good motivation.

My number is 17108 and I'm in the blue pen.  It's probably way too optimistic, but it's something to shoot for!

All the talk about the heat is making me nervous, since I'll be running the São Paulo marathon in 2.5 weeks, and it will be much warmer here than Paris.  Luckily I've been training in the heat, but I'm still nervous!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

MattL, welcome back. Good luck in Sao Paulo.

• UrbaneFoxLondon wrote (see)

Cheers Eggy - I totally underestimated the mental part. It's hard to keep training for marathon PBs throughout the whole year and not burn out!!

Well done for entering Paris again - a good target race as any given what a great support network there is image 

You can run more than one marathon a year but you need to pick and choose your battles (in all your distances). Some races you should use to gain experience and concentrate on a good execution. It's not possible to run a PB every time apart from when you are on your big up-curve of improvement (2013 for me). Last year was kind of my "Olympic" year, and I managed to drag the best out of myself for 6 or 7 of my many races .... this year I'm still running races and looking to do well, but I've an eye on 2017 for attacking some of my personal records again. I guess I'm talking about peaks and troughs. You need to keep yourself interested to keep coming back and having a go at all the training. If you have too many bad days it can be a bit demoralising.

• Green Pen 44674. Loved supporting but not as much as running. Next year those sore feet, trashed legs and poor night's sleep will be mine again!

• Well I am back home and can say I've really enjoyed my first ever marathon . My taper was a bit soul destroying as I did less I just felt more and more tired and thought the marathon itself was going to be a disaster. Didn't run at all after arriving in Paris on Friday, staying in Montmartre but did quite a lot of walking round the sights on Saturday after going to the expo.

On the sunday I started in the front of the green pen and had to make a conscious effort not to go too fast, my 5k times up to 30k were 27:18,27:57,27:18,27:40,28:24 and 28:46 so I was looking good for my 4hour target. I was finding it difficult to go at my own pace as there wasn't enough room to get past slower runners, but as my ankle was starting to niggle a bit due to a knock earlier on I didn't worry too much, thinking I could speed up a bit when the road widened again. The Bois de boulogne seemed to go on forever and my ankle got much worse - I was passed by the first 4hr pacer and tried to keep up but my ankle was agony so I had to let them go, then the second 4hr pacer passed, I realised it was just a question of getting to the finish by hobbling/jogging/walking. At one point I felt myself becoming quite faint and thought I had better take it a bit easier otherwise I would find myself in an ambulance. After the race I found my HR had spiked at this point at around 196bpm compared to my usual max of 185. Strangely I hadn't registered that it was hot and had drunk less than 1litre electrolyte/water. 

My official time was 4:14:43 so I was very happy, all things considered, at least it gives me a realistic chance of doing better next year????  Big thanks to Stuchbury who said hello in the closing stages and also Kezza?(Sweety2?) it was great to see a friendly face in a time of need.

• betzza, do the Ox half with me! Nice and easy and we'll see how many people we can pick up along the way image

i haven't registered for next year. I think if I come I'll minion. Was looking at Rome though...

• Hi folks, great to hear all the war stories, good and bad, well done to all. Unfortunately things went pear shaped for me at 30km. Legs died and thirst set in (despite accidentally running straight into the mouth of a water hose and getting drenched early on). Spent the last 5 miles focused on the next water station and searching for discarded water bottles on the road. Walked for a bit round 40km.

Overall , I thought the organisation was good, no congestion problems and good support. I cant say im not disappointed after all the winter training but in hindsight I should have reduced my planned pace to suit the sunny conditions. Had a great couple of day in Paris afterwards relaxing and sight seeing and legs feel quite good after a fews days rest . Onwards and upwardsimage

• Andy-W - I'll send you a DM as struggling to put a face to name, due to meeting so many lovely people over the weekend.  My Litre of French Lager was very good and much needed too, as were the burgers and ales in The Frog, which went down an absolute treat!  Monday morning I had a well tasty Brunch at Pereire, before heading off to do a final bit of sight seeing, ending up at Sacre Coeur and chatting to a lovely Australian Lady who had run the Marathon too.  I don't know if I pulled but had to make my excuses and leave for the Airport image

Sweety2 - Lovely to see one pic from the Meet Up at the Arc. Where's the later ones? Anyone???

Leggy - Those Orange Slices were brilliant weren't they? I wasn't planning on taking any fuel from the tables other than the water, as was going to rely on my gels etc that I was carrying.  When the heat really kicked in and got to me, between the halfway point and the tunnels though, I couldn't get enough of the oranges and was munching on about 3 slices at each table for the remainder of the race.  I don't know if I would've made it around without them.

Betzza - Blimey, sounds like a war zone on your post. Was lovely chatting to you on Sunday evening. Nothing has been sore on myself, other than my most personal regions through the choice of shorts that I made.  They have recovered now too. I may have slightly damaged one of my new toe nails but I have an appointment with the Podiatrist this afternoon anyhow.  Will be back out refereeing tonight and then out for a 6/7 mile run with my club tomorrow evening.

KeyserSuze - Rome is on my hit list too, but I don't think that it will be next year.  I think that the number one target for me next year is going to be Berlin, but too early for me to pin my colors to any particular at the minute.

Baldstan - I've been wondering how you got on.  I was also wondering if your wife came out to support you?  Did you see the Ipswich Town flag on the side of the road opposite the outer wall of The Louvre, about 2 miles in?  I did give them an "Ipswich Town... Boooooo!!!" and a bit of banter as I passed them image I will be in touch via PM and will exchange details. Then I will give you a call if I am down in London running.  Planning on coming down to watch those who I know running VLM in a couple of weeks.

• born2run4born2run4 ✭✭✭
    Heroine in a half-shell Today at 09:44  
    http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/images/post-top-left.png?version=10546429202

Hi Heroine in a half-shell
    I totally agree, but thought that was the idea of the staggering start times? Anyway not going to worry about it too much. With both of these I am just comparing to London and there must have only been a few k less and didn't seem as bad and the water stations seemed fine from what I can remember.   Think I will look for a smaller one in the winter as want to get a good time.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It was a toss up between Paris and Rome for me next year.  Paris won as I haven't done it for a couple of years...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Smudgerncfc wrote (see)

...ending up at Sacre Coeur and chatting to a lovely Australian Lady who had run the Marathon too.  I don't know if I pulled but had to make my excuses and leave for the Airport image

That's just showing off!

I've stayed in Montmartre four times and never once pulled. Although me not pulling isn't so much a geographical issue as the normal way of things.