Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Before

/members/images/715416/Gallery/IMG-20160403-WA0004.jpg

/members/images/715416/Gallery/IMG-20160403-WA0005.jpg

/members/images/715416/Gallery/IMG-20160403-WA0000.jpg

and after.. one of the most enjoyable litres of lager of my life

/members/images/715416/Gallery/IMG-20160403-WA0001.jpg

• Morning all. There is a thing out there that needs doing. Let's do it.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

17165 Blue

Can't get enough of this race!

Wrote a report for my club. It is assuming you know the characters that I made the Paris trip with but you may be interested to read my overlong story of the weekend.

http://www.flyerssouthend.co.uk/flyers-go-to-paris-marathon-de-paris-2016/

• KeyserSuze - also thinking of Rome after my wife, who had been really nervous at me running anything as long as a marathon and I'm sure thought she would be bringing back a corpse, said "what about Rome" after I mentioned I was planning a repeat of Paris.  Hmm, I'm not convinced there isn't an ulterior motive at play here.

What's Rome marathon like? 

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Smudger, I was sat to the left of Jimbob in the Beer Station and you had (were nursing image ) a rather large stein of lager. I preferred the Heinekin, had two pints, was sat with Glen (a St Theresa's club member although I had ran in a Where the Foch vest, got lots of shouts as I had Andy on the front. I may have put my finishers shirt on for the pub.

We suggested perhaps you may have set off a little too quickly.

Sounds like you had a very good apres marathon adventure.
  • Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    I would get reviews from people who have done Rome before signing up. A group fun my club went last year and were not impressed and I've spoken to a few others who did it last year who said the same. Very little support, mostly out of town and cobbles were the main comments. The group who went to Barcelona this year loved that one.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Back home now. Had some days to reflect wondering around Disneyland and Paris.

As you've all said to me I shouldn't be disappointed, it was hotter than I've been used to in training, a number of you didn't have good runs either. I am

Feeling a little flat. I was expecting so much more from Paris in terms of the run. I'd trained well, I'd put in the long runs and stayed injury free. Compared to Amsterdam where I had 4 weeks off with shin splints of all seemed to be pointing to a good run. I didn't for 1 second consider the impact the weather could have. Even when I saw the forecast it didn't make me think it would affect my run.

But I move on and pick myself up. I've had a little sulk (I think that's allowed, we all do it don't we??) and I will move on and keep training and set some new goals. I've got a lot to look forward to.

I can take some positives from Paris. The biggest for me is that the week after running Amsterdam I was diagnosed with colitis. It's a form of inflammatory bowel disease. I've only got it mildly and don't suffer anywhere near as much as others do. The affect on me was that after running around 6-7 miles, I really had to find a toilet. Not great when you are putting the long runs in. It was through training for a marathon I found out I had this condition and I don't think I would have found out for a number of years if I hadn't taken up the challenge of a marathon. I now have drugs to manage it all and Paris was the longest I've run by quite a distance without needing to stop for the toilet. That really is a massive victory for me. It played on my mind continually in the build up.

So in summary, I controlled everything I can control and for that I should be bloody happy - which I've just realised I am.

Thank you for reading my story (if you've made it this far!) and thank you for touring words in the past few days and all of your advice.
  • Kenno- It is great to hear your positive thoughts and I think most of us suffered with the heat during the run and your the same as me after reflection of the marathon I am also happy with what I have achieved and move on to the next challengeimage

Smudger- I am also looking to do the Berlin marathon next year as my main objective along with London if I can get in. Are you still coming to Birmingham to do the black country half marathon along the canal into Birmingham on July 2nd (sat) if so I will meet you there.

Hope all are well returning back from Paris.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    LloydR great running report, well done!
  • Weird repeat post up there - sorry about that, it's OK, you don't have to do it again (well, not till next year).

Andrew - never mind what's Rome like, what's your life insurance like? And has your wife increased it recently?
  • I think that I a going to enter the London ballot again, along with the Berlin ballot for next year's races. I don't expect any success in the London ballot but it's worth putting my name in the hat to see what happens. Berlin I am really keen on and am wondering if I should enter a ballot or just look to book with a tour director. I know people who got places in Berlin last year via both routes.

As for the Black.Country Half I.will have to wait and seem I had planned to do a 120 mile cycling event in July and another 100 mile one in August. Will have to see what my finances and time constraints will.allow closer to.the time. It's defo a race that interests me though.

Andy-W - I have just zoomed in on your profile pic on here on my phone. I remember who you are and chatting to you for a fair while in the Beer Station now. I didn't get too.drunk on Sunday evening, honest!

Eggs - I have a laid back nature that draws them in at times, but I rarely seal the deal mate.

I must say that I wore KT Tape on my dodgy hamstring from Saturday through til today. Was a bit of a sceptic about this stuff but it appears to work. My left leg feels better than it has done since October

I was also very impressed with the Innov8 Road and Trail shoes that i checked out at the Expo. Something else that is asking to be put on my shopping list but will have to wait a while.

Oh and thanks for posting the other pics up from the Arc Meet Up Boquito.
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    think I'll be back in 2018.

Be good to run London again next year - if not probably Manchester

I have Liverpool in 8 weeks (7 on Sunday) and Chester beginning October.

I must say marathon is my favourite distance probably because of the challenge build up and decomposition afterwards. Plus the pace is easier (for at least the first 18 miles)

Going to stick around this forum though
  • 29643 purple, I've got unfinished business in Paris!

• Hi, I just wanted to add a thank you for all of the information and support shared out on here - I lurked up to the race, which was my first marathon but just got round to actually registering.  I got round (in a fashion) in 4:54 which was good for me - had been really ill in the week leading up to the race but at best I'm probably a 4:45 marathon runner.

The occasion itself blew me away though, yeah it could have done with being a couple (ish!) of degrees cooler but I thought the city, the people and the organisation were all amazing and despite vowing 'never again' in the run up, it definitely won't be my last marathon!

Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice, information and all round support on here - it's a great forum and I'm sure there are plenty like me that don't comment on here but take a lot from the support you give

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

HazNUFC - Well done! That's great going, particularly when uou'd been struggling with illness on the lead up to the day.

• List Fairy - Could you please put me down for the Bungay Black Dog Half on April 17th and the Run Norwich 10K on August 7th?

Good luck for Liverpool Andy-W.  Looks like a good event that one and one which I'll probably do one year if it stays under what appears to be a fairly successful format, as one of the Rock and Roll Marathons.  Would be good to hear your views on it when you have done it.

I'll probably be back in Paris to run again one day.  May be sooner than I think dependent on what Air France say about the complaint I lodged with them after they responded to a couple of my frustrated tweets.  No doubt I'll be offered some flight vouchers to use by a certain date, even though I'd never wish to fly with them again.  May come over to run or support next year if that's what happens.

Oh and has anyone else come down with a bit of a cold since returning from Paris? I have been freezing cold despite having the heating switched up high at home since I have been back. When I went out to referee last night it seemed so cold and it is almost putting me off going for my 5/6 mile club run this evening, even though I want to get out there.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Smudger. I'm doing Liverpool too. I did the full in 2014 and the half last year. I love it but I'm a bit biased, as it's my home town.

Although its under the Rock n Roll banner it's actually organised by a company who do a few local races. It ticks all the City boxes, Anfield, Goodison, Matthew Street, City Centre, Albert Dock, China Town - even Penny Lane (for about 200m). It takes you through some of the parks and along the waterfront.It's well organised and the bling is impressive. You get an extra medal for running consecutive years.

Colds, of course. You've just battered your body so it's pretty weak. I always used to get a cough. I had mine before this years event, though, so I've skipped it so far.

• I'm rather late with a post but only just finding a bit of time to myself - stayed in Paris til Tuesday then came home to devastation thanks to my lovely 18 and 20 year old daughters (bless themimage)! I can't say anything more than the thanks and praises which have already been uttered, but it was wonderful to meet you all and get the never-ending support.

Betzza I have to say that your coffee call pre-race was such a help and helped me calm myself a little; other Pink Pen friends included. 

That sun was a delight although it's heat even took it out of me - the person who has never run in a vest in her life and on this occasion still wore 3 layers and woolly gloves until mile 19!! Met my husband then and just stood there whimpering as he peeled off the layers for me (too pathetically weak by that time to do it myself!). Still, got round - not my best time but I'll get over it! Had my first good night's sleep last night after a massage since last Friday. Feel bit more like myself again image.

Thank you all again and so sorry to have missed meeting you Nells.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hello all, looks like most of you are back home safe and soundish. Great to see so many of your lovely smiling (abet fearfulish before and then completely exhausted during and after) faces at pasta papas, the arc and the frog pub!!

Thanks for the lovely comments on the supporters, if there's any feedback on the guide or things we could do better please pm me. It was an honour to see you all achieve such an amazing thing and I hope you're all feeling super proud with what you did, irrespective of the time or multiple DOMS pains you've got nowimage

See you all again soon, whether it's Paris or one of the many events that take place over the year.  Stick around, look out for the 2017 thread and keep having FUN!! xxx

oh and sorry if I deafened anyone in the pub with my happy birthday singing and admin rants (tab was all sorted in the end)

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Being deafened by Radar Sal is a Paris tradition. image

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Thanks Smudger - I'd highly recommend Liverpool. I did it last year and hold my PB there so I'll be getting the additional "Encore" medal this year. The bling is brill in Liverpool. There are a few hills in the first 10 miles but in the last 10 miles there's more downhill then flat finish 4 miles up the Mersey to the finish.
  • StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

We forded the live race on eurosport. The phrase 'fun runners' has been used several times. I nearly spat out my cup of tea. 

• kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Just found out no headphones allowed in MK marathon. I've run without them when I've paced half matathons and 1 10k but that's it. oh crap
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

No headphones is a rule at most events. One rule I agree with actually. I've seen all sorts of stupid things happen as people couldn't hear what was going on around them.

• +1 Eggyh73

I had to tap multiple people in the shoulder on Sunday to let them know an ambulance was trying to get through....

If it was down to me, there would be no headphones allowed in any race at all.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭

I use the bone conduction "headphones" so my ears are still clear and I can hear everything that is going on around me. I find it nice to have music to zone into when things are a bit tough...

• Oh, go on then: 43640 Vert image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Being deafened by Radar Sal is a Paris tradition. image

imageimageimage

• RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

Is there a cut off time for the Marathon just signed up 68965 Pink. First Marathon I never even thought about a cut of time Just as well I have plenty of time to train.image