Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Andy-W- Don't know if you have done Chester before but that was my first one (with Heather S) and the route is lovely. Enjoy!

Tired Legs, Run Claire and EHN - so glad to read you all did great things after our linked-arm approach to the start line. EHN you left me for standing after mile one when my hubby was chasing around with a camera - perhaps you should stick with your grey pen choice for next year, or even green? Well done!

I haven't done a lot since Sunday - Paris sites on Monday, travelling Tuesday, turned legs over on bike for 15 mins and had leg massage Wednesday, gentle gym session Thursday (rather a lot of chatting!!) and nothing today image; now feeling very guilty and wondering if I really should be doing a bit more? Any advice? Legs not too bad but head so tired and not managed a lot of sleep since last Friday before the race image!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Beinbhan - welcome. Congratulations for signing up. Pull up a chair and tell us a bit about yourself.

Yes there is a cut-off, sort of. The organisers say there is a 6 hour cut off but they're not really strict about it. There are regularly runners that are quite a bit over this time who still finish, get a medal and a time. The closest we came to losing a runner because of a cut off was last year when we had a finisher in 6 hours 30. They still got a medal and t-shirt but they'd taken up the timing strip so they didn't get an official time.

Ness2 - recovery is an essential part of training. No need to rush back, just when you're ready. Unless you're racing soon? In that case, get out thereimage

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Ness - thanks for the feedback. Chester was also my first in Oct 2011... Also ran it in 2012 and 2013. It'll be my 12th marathon in the last 5 years
  • Options

Soooo...., 364 days until the Paris marathon. I'm printing off my medical certificate today so it's there, ready to take along if I'm going to the Drs. about anything else.

• Options
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to say massive Thank you to you all for you help and support on here and in Paris.

I'm on a real come down at the moment. Not been able to do any exercise since Sunday due to my foot and it's king me feel real bad. Never knew I could feel this low. Anyway hoping to go for a little run tomorrow so hopefully that will help.

Haven't worked out if I'm signing up for next year yet?!?

Hopefully will see some of you at GNR
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Aww Hales, I think I speak for everyone by saying you're more than welcome, these guys are all about the support. Be sure to hang around.

Sorry to hear you're feeling low, but as RR said this can happen after the big long build up to something so special.

Go easy on yourself, treat yourself to something nice & I hope the foot feels better soon.

Take care x

BM - countdown ?
  • Options
    How did your knee bear up Nodster? Glad you got round OK Hales. Plenty of R &R (and by that I don't mean Rock n Roll) and tasty for us all now.
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    It survived the Marathon but complained for a few days. It doesn't like left turns at the moment image
  • Options
    That was meant to say tasty treats by the way.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Glad your knee seems to have survived Nodster.

Hales HayleyB and Ness2 - my first Paris I didn't really do much after coming home. Gave myself at least a week off, and then caught three colds in a row so was out of action for pretty much a couple of months and lost a lot of fitness. Second time round last year, I went to a club run on the Wednesday, and then kept on running whilst not pushing the pace for a few weeks before getting back into some more solid training. Made sure I had plenty of rest as well, and ate lots of good, healthy food and tried to avoid germ filled situations until my body and immune system felt back to full strength! Had I run again this year (ho hum) I would have gone for option 2 again, be kind to yourself but don't take rest and recovery to such an extreme that you end up kicking yourself for losing all those fitness gains!

• Options

Thanks for the comments on rest/not to rest. Tottered out this morning for a gentle 3 miler - thought I'd never get home!!! Why does 3 feel like 13 when I now know I can run 26?! Don't think it ever gets easier image!

Andy-W- wrote (see)
    Ness - thanks for the feedback. Chester was also my first in Oct 2011... Also ran it in 2012 and 2013. It'll be my 12th marathon in the last 5 years

I'm humbled Andy-W! You can probably run it with your eyes closed now!

Andy-W- wrote (see)

Nodster wrote (see)
    It survived the Marathon but complained for a few days. It doesn't like left turns at the moment image

Run your local circuit the other direction then image!!! And NO I most definitely haven't got anything else lined up - I'm not a hardened addict like you guys!

• Options

Hi Ness2 great to hear it went well for you. I went for a 4 miler on Thursday and it felt like a plod! Off out tomorrow for a few miles but I have to get back into it because I promised that I'd pace a club friend at Parkrun next weekend. I'm not made for speed, so that should be funny!

• Options
    Did my first couple of runs post Paris this weekend. Great to be back out there. Only a week till my next race, the Brighton Marathon. 2 in 2 weeks seemed a great idea a year ago!
  • Options

Liverpool is almost certainly on my hit list for one year (at least) Orbutt and Andy-W, although my calendar is already looking too hectic for it to be this year. It's certainly in the top 5 Marathons that I would consider giving a go in this country.

I haven't been out for a run since returning from Paris as yet either.  Have been out being an official at footy games twice (once on Weds evening and this afternoon).  I spent all of yesterday under a blanket on the sofa, as I have been absolutely freezing since I got home and came down with a nasty cold on Thursday morning.  My cold appears to have got a lot better over the course of the weekend, so I am hoping to get out for a couple of club runs this week before doing the Bungay Black Dog Half next Sunday.

Did anyone else order a Race Video?  I watched mine during last week, but went on to try and share/download it earlier this evening and all that is left there is a 15 second advert for Asics. I have sent a tweet to ASO Challenges asking what has happened to it.

Hope that Brighton goes well for you and that it isn't as hot as it got in Paris Steve Duffy. Good luck!!!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Ness2 wrote (see)

Tired Legs, Run Claire and EHN - so glad to read you all did great things after our linked-arm approach to the start line. EHN you left me for standing after mile one when my hubby was chasing around with a camera - perhaps you should stick with your grey pen choice for next year, or even green? Well done!

Ness2 it was so nice to meet you ...alas my wheels fell off after 6 miles ..RunClaire and Tired Legs then like an amazing mirage appeared and I stuck to them like  glue.  

Today I have felt so tired and may extend my rest and recovery and miss my pre-planned   spin class tomorrow ( back row nice and easy ) ... I actually just wanted an excuse to wear my finishers shirt ! 

I am enjoying hearing what everyone's next race plans are ...I need to get something in my diary 

• Options

Boquito - or anyone else, do you please have the original files of those photos by the Arc that you can email me?

• Options

Smudgerncfc - you've got mail

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

So, who's signed up for lots of races this week to get over no more marathon training? If you've succumbed to the madness and want to be added to the list, just mention what, where when and list fairy and I'll add you to it.

How did the Manchester people get along yesterday? I've heard a rumour the baggage collection was a bit of a nightmare...

Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 16-17: Star Wars Darkside Challenge - Danni.
    Apr 17: Brighton Marathon – Meadower, Thisisnatty. Brighton Marathon 10k - Your pace or mine. Birmingham Zebra 10k - Christopher Field. Bungay Black Dog Half - Smudgerncfc.
    Apr 18: Boston – Sunnysider Phil.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday. London Marathon - Jimbob, Stuchbury, Heroine in a half-shell, Pistol101, Your pace or mine, Thebigone, Magna Carter, LeggyMountbatten. Shakespeare half marathon - Christopher Field.
    Apr 30: Nashville Rock & Roll Marathon - Nodster.
    May 1: Birmingham 10k - Christopher Field, AspirantRunner. Brecon to Cardiff Ultra - Running Rodent.
    May 2: Milton Keynes Marathon - kenno.
    May 8: Leeds Half - Andy W. Run Hackney - Tired Old Legs, KeyserSuze, Nells, Your pace or mine, UrbaneFoxLondon. Bromsgrove 10k - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Arun River Marathon - Nodster. Barton Stacey 10K - Betzza.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday. Chester Half - Christopher Field.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: The Dark and Light Ox - KeyserSuze, Betzza.
    May 21: Half Ox: KeyserSuze. Ironman Lanzarote - Magna Carter.
    May 22: Richmond Park Marathon - Nodster. Worcester Half Marathon - Christopher Field. Great Manchester Run - UrbaneFoxLondon. Copenhagen Marathon - Eggyh73, Running Rodent. Ox Ultra - Heroine in a half-shell.
    May 28: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster, LeggyMountbatten. Liverpool Rock & Roll 5k - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Comrades Marathon - Danni. Liverpool Rock 'n’ Roll Marathon – Andy-W, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock 'n’ Roll Half Marathon – Christopher Field. Mont St Michel Marathon - Miss Laure. Edinburgh Marathon - Mistletoe Mike.
    May 30: Bupa London 10k - Nodster, Nells, LloydR.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 4: Harvel H5 - baldstan.
    Jun 5: Stour Valley Marathon - Lloyd R.
    Jun 11: Worcester Go Dad 10k - Christopher Field.
    Jun 12: Two Castles 10k - Christopher Field.
    Jun 18: Tromso Midnight Sun Marathon - Heather S, Nodster, Meadower, Running Rodent, Eggyh73, Heroine in a half-shell.
    Jun 19: Arden 9 miles - Christopher Field.
    Jun 23 : Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday. Giant's Head Marathon - Heroine in a half-shell.
    Jun 26: Olympic tri - Tallington - Magna Carter.
    Jul 2: Black Country Half Marathon - Christopher Field.
    Jul 3: Bewl 15 - baldstan.
    Jul 10: Leeds 10k - Andy W. Coventry Northbrook 10k - Christopher Field. Sprint tri Spalding - Magna Carter.
    Jul 16: Race to the Stones: Heroine in a Half-Shell, Running Rodent, Stuchbury, kenno.
    Jul 17: The Dorset Invader Marathon - Nodster.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 23: Iron distance tri - Outlaw Nottingham - Magna Carter.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: Phoenix Summer Marathon - Nodster.
    Aug 7: York 10k - Andy W. Run Norwich 10K - Smudgerncfc.
    Aug 13: Roseland August Trail (Black RAT - 32 miles) - Christophe D.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 27: Enigma Marathon - Nodster.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday. Maidenhead Half - iantcox.
    Sep 10: Half Ironman - The Vitruvian - Magna Carter.
    Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB, Hari2. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, Nells, Nodster, Betzza.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan. Coyote

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan. Coyote Marathon - LeggyMountbatten.
    Sept 25: Berlin Marathon - Mister Mike. Ealing Half - iantcox. Robin Hood Marathon - Nodster. Cheltenham Half - Christopher Field.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 2: Chester Marathon - Andy W, Meadower.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 9: Yorkshire Marathon - Karen Bowman 2, iantcox. Great Eastern Run Half - Magna Carter.
    Oct 16: Amsterdam Marathon - Christopher Field. Cabbage Patch 10 - Nells.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob, Nodster, Sweety2.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm also doing the Brecon To Conway ultra on 1st May image

And the Abingdon marathon on 23rd October

• Options

Nells can you add Crowle 10K for me on 8th May please.

• Options

And Worcester City 10K on September 18th please.

• Options

While you're at it Nells, stick me down for the London Bupa 10k May 30th ...I fear it's going to be very slow but will be a start to a come back....hopefully image

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Not long now yer maj! Just keep the pub at the end in mind, and enjoy the company of the lovely Rodent.

HeatherS - nothing wrong with slow. Best to take it easy and get back into it slowly than risk another setback.

• Options

Heather S - As Nells says, time is not the issue and to go and hopefully enjoy the London run will mean you are back in the game!

EHN - Sorry to hear about your wheels falling off! As long as we got round and live to tell the tale/wear the T-shirt then all is ok! A (possibly) disappointing time can be got over - I'm proof of that! I too am tired - felt ok till the weekend when a curtain of tiredness suddenly came down!!! Sleep has never been better though image!

• Options

Tired Legs and EHN - ah, sorry I'll miss the cake next year. I enjoyed running with you both. It's logistically challenging with two runners and a child in the house! Perhaps I'll see if I can do Paris again in 2018.

EHN - if you're looking for mid week half marathons, check out saxon-shore.com. They have some challenge events in Kent over the summer that are during the week. So they aren't strictly half-marathons, but you can choose the distance you want to cover and get the same medal and goody bag whether you do 4 miles or 44.

• Options
    Ness2 I also hit tiredness this weekend so I'm glad it's not just me!

I did my first run yesterday and it felt good to loosen up the legs.

Run Claire I will look at the Saxon shore events too, thanks
  • Options

I'm still enjoying my down time. Been swimming, cycle-commuting and done a gym session (stretching and some core work). Will continue this approach this week and get back out running next week. 

I really needed a break after Paris, finally kill that cold, get sleep and get over all the accumulated fatigue. I was itching to go running last night, but i really want to chill before chasing those 5k, 10k and half marathon PBs image

I keep checking the London GFA page, waiting for it to refresh so I know when to make my entry (I think it refreshes after marathon day). Already buzzing to come back to a full marathon and chase the sub 2:50!!!!! image

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Super thanks RunClaire I'll check them and Ness2 I am with you there..sleep is heaven!

• Options

Runclaire I have looked at the saxon-shore website. Looks great, I wish I knew of something around here like that. Kent is a long way from worcestershire. Having said that, so is Paris and I went there!

I shall especially miss your historical commentary. It was brilliant!