Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Just wasted (perhaps not totally wasted) the last hour or so watching the video of my run via the website - so glad I couldn't see myself at the time or I'd never enter another run!! Don't think I'll be showing it to anyone else image!

• KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭
    Hope everybody has revovered well.

Has anybody run Frankfurt? I'm vaguely considering it following my disaspointment in Paris. Any opinions on how good it would be for a PB / GFA attempt would be very useful.

I'm just about back to normal - I was getting progressively more ill for a week after the event! I'm not sure if this (plus the heat and just a bad day) contributed to my unexpected poor performance or not.

Thanks
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ness2 - in my head I run like a gazelle. Somehow the video footage seems to change this into a wobbling waddle. Don't worry about what you look like, you are a Marathon runner - that makes you special. 

KennyM - I think 90% of us had a nightmare in Paris. By the sounds of it, you had a bug too. Once you get that sorted, you'll be epic  

I'm trying to build myself back up mentally after another poor race. My last 5 events have been really hard. I've got reasons/excuses for all of them but I think part of the problem is that I'm setting myself unrealistic goals (at the moment). Hopefully my next race will give me a mental boost, as long as I'm realistic. 

I had a minor boost tonight with a training run that went well. I'll take that, for now. Baby steps. 

• Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭

Kenno - I see you have entered the Milton Keynes Marathon. I've just entered as well, trying to put my Paris nightmare behind me and crack on with a nice speedy flat course (so a few friends tell me). Maybe bump into you there?

Been out for a few runs since Paris and legs feel good. I even play football on the Wednesday afterwards with no issues.

My trusted advisor (running coach) said probably a bug floating round which affected my performance on the day. Still gutted at my performance, but putting that behind me and cracking on with the Milton Keynes Marathon on the 2nd May.

I feel me and Paris have a rematch on the cards in 2017... image

• kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Bandito27 - yes I'm in for MK. I'm going for sub 4 again. I just have to give it a go. I've run every day since last Wednesday - 49 miles. I'm not feeling that tired. I think I threw the towel in early in Paris so wasn't completely drained. I'm back on it anyway to give it another crack. Fingers crossed for an overcast Bank Holiday.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

Good luck kenno for your sub-4 at MK. Having finished in 4'16" in Paris off a much interrupted training schedule I've now got sub-4 as my goal for Paris next April. Hopefully all I've learnt will make up for being a year older.

I've been out for a few short runs since, but still feel really heavy every time, and like lots of others I'm still shaking off a cold that developed a few days after getting back. Don't think my legs could handle another race this weekend, but hope everyone who is running one of the B's (Boston, Brighton, Birmingham, Bungay) has a good one. Still seeing how I feel before I decide whether to go for a Womble medal at the Wimbledon Half next month (so I've managed to resist signing up for lots more races so far Nells, other than Paris of course)

Smudger - I missed the Town flag by the Louvre, but hope they gave you some good banter back. Would be good to catch up some time, though I'll probably have my boys on London Marathon weekend so not sure I'll be able to come up and support.  

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Ness2 - As Orbutt has said don't worry about how you look when running. Even in my marathon PB videos/photos I managed to produce the look of an angry hamster, drowning puppy and Herman Munster on fast forward. None of which are good looks.

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

Bandito27 - I can't PM you! Drop me a message if you can.

• List Fairy.....

so I don't forget, can you put me down for :

1 may, Canal 15k Montauban

5 may 3Rocs Trail 24km

11 sept - Sapiac Half

Nov - NYC but I see you have me for that one

Better get some training in now then   image

• Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Pistol101- not sure if the website is playing as I can't message you either. My email address is darrenjryan at outlook dot com. Split my email address as don't want the email botz getting it.
  • Orbutt wrote (see

I had a minor boost tonight with a training run that went well. I'll take that, for now. Baby steps. 

That's the way to go Orbutt - achievable goals in easy bite-size pieces - even if you were doing a 'wobbling wobble' all the way round image!

• Eggy - nothing wrong with looking like an angry hamster image
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - PMSL image

Ness2 - image

• Quiet in here, isn't it? Time to switch on 2017?

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

RR - are you volunteering to be 2017 starter!?

• I think that honour should go to someone who's actually signed up for next year image
  • yes but Orbutt's opening comments at the beginning of this 2016 one are so helpful. Whoever starts it off should have all that stuff at the beginning

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

RR - thats an easy problem to solve!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

That was the collective wisdom of last year's crowd - no credit due to me image

• Before you switch off the lights - did anyone order the medal engraving and of so, have you received it yet?
  • I did, and it arrived on Wednesday.

• kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Before you all go just wanted to say thanks for having me. It was a pleasure talking to you all and meeting some of you.

I'm not planning on running in Paris next year (I'm sure I will again one day, I have a score to settle with it), but will pop into the new page every now and again. I'm carrying on running marathons and am expecting to run one next spring but have no idea where yet. Not decided yet on an Autumn marathon. Might just focus on some real weight loss (again).

Until next time folks. Enjoy your running.
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I ordered engraving but not received yet LeggyMountbatten ... Although I've not entered Paris 2017, I like it here (and will do Paris again at some point I'm sure) ... Hope you don't mind my hanging around, I've got plenty of races ongoing!
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Jimbob, Stuchbury, Heroine in a half-shell, Pistol101, Your pace or mine, Magna Carter, LeggyMountbatten.

Hi all after much hand wringing and a bit of running im going to go for London. Im going to the expo first thing Friday if any of you are going. If i dont see you the best of luck - ill be the slow runner in the JDRF vest!

Christopher Field- good luck for Shakespeare

• The big one- Thanks but I would love to do the London marathon will try again in the ballot for next year!

I have not yet decided if I am doing Paris next year it all depends on other marathons in April next year and was looking at maybe Manchester if not getting in London! There is also another marathon in Holland in April that's taking some interest but I will wait and see.

I will keep in touch with the new forum when it starts as the advice and friendship is excellent.

1. Good luck to all doing the London marathon, I am jealousimage
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

AndyW - no worries about hanging around mate. Running the race is only a minor part of the Paris forum experience and it's not essential. This place, or its descendants, are the Hogwarts of Runners World - it will always be there when it is needed.

Thebigone - take it nice and easy and you'll be fine. However, if anything does feel wrong, don't ignore it.

Christopher Field - you know where we'll be image

BTW - keep checking back, here or in the next incarnation, the Finishers Video is in production. 

• Thebigone good luck are you feeling better?

I too am hoping to hang around!
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Thebigone wrote (see)

Jimbob, Stuchbury, Heroine in a half-shell, Pistol101, Your pace or mine, Magna Carter, LeggyMountbatten.

Hi all after much hand wringing and a bit of running im going to go for London. Im going to the expo first thing Friday if any of you are going. If i dont see you the best of luck - ill be the slow runner in the JDRF vest!

Christopher Field- good luck for Shakespeare

I'm probably going Thursday...will have to try and meet up on race morning. Not sure if many of us are on the red start.

• TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Pistol101 im on green so we probably wont meet- good luck for it

Wendy Dibble lovely to hear from you- im fine and hope you are well too. Just finished last longish run before next week, scared but also looking forward to it. 

Orbutt thanks i will be going carefully- im not planning to do anything like this again! Nothing particularly wrong at the moment so keeping fingers crossed

Christopher Field have you considered a charity place? ive never had a ballot place and ive been applying for years!