Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Met up with Running Rodent, Scott The Walker , Pottermoss, Radar Sal, ThisisNatty, Nells and HIAHS plus a few wags and habs in tow at the Bupa 10k. There was beer involved and sitting around in the park. I took a crate of Ice Cold Carlsbergs and managed to leave them at bag check. They retained their coldness! The organisers put on a sprint track and sprint coaches for the kids and my two took part in that and burned off some energy. It's been a lovely afternoon and I'm just leaving the west end now with the missis at the wheel.

Prior to all this frivolity there was some quality running from the gang and some healthy pb bashing. I knocked a minute off my 10k to give me a 38.17 with a 1 second neggy split and an outside chance of a place in the Highgate Harriers night of the 10k PBs (next year) - sub 38.30 was a platinum target so I'm well happy to exceed that. Was one of those days where everyone else around me was huffing and puffing. I'm glad I didnt overcook it at Parkrun the other day. That's my 3 A races nailed this year exactly as I wanted 'em.
  • Good nailing there Jimbob. You've worked hard for that. image

• Some pretty awesome running this weekend , well done on the pb's , I was lucky enough to attend today's London 10 km and I witnessed a few of them

Supporting can be fun , as long as you enter into the spirit of things , cheer , high five and encourage everyone out there , makes a nice change being on the other side of the fence , and I got a beer from jimbob , so no running and I still got a beer ! Result !!!
  • I'm not a beer drinker at all but I had half a can after the race and thought it tasted lovely! No PB for me which was to be expected, hadn't realised Scott & RR were in town, completely missed them, boooo.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭

Jimbob - epic running as always, and proof that hard work pays off as you've been grinding away chipping time off PBs that were already pretty impressive. Real dedication and always with a target in mind. If (or rather, when) you make it to the Night of 10k PBs, I'll be there on the track to shout at you every time you pass! Sorry to have missed your ladies, would have been nice to hang around much longer enjoying the sunshine (and pollen).

Official times are in, and it seems I managed to take 40 seconds off my PB. I'm incredibly chuffed with that as it was a whole five minutes faster than my 10k just 3 weeks ago! I was feeling pretty sluggish and slow after Paris, but I've been pounding the pavements of south London since then, working on losing the belly, concentrating more on good form whilst running and really feeling much more hopeful now. Started off today thinking I was going a bit too fast, but enjoyed every second and my last mile was actually my second fastest (4 seconds per mile slower than the first), third was the slowest! Lovely boost to see the flag and epic supporters on the finishing stretch too, as well as Pottermoss who passed me with 400m to go, making me determined to hang on to his heels and catch him with 40m to go (lets just ignore the fact that I had a pretty good head start on him for the time being).

Now looking at starting on the marathon training proper as I've got Berlin before Amsterdam. I'm quite optimistic about it as I had a good run of training last summer, so I think I am better suited to summer training than winter. Remind me I said that come September... 

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

HIAHS - perhaps not a PB, but with a gammy knee and a marathon to run in 5 days you still flew past me so fast after about a mile that I barely had time to register what that purple flash that seemed to be shouting my name was. All things considered, I'd say you had a pretty good outing. Rest that knee until Saturday, and if you make it through unscathed make sure you've got the right diagnosis and take any rest necessary so that you're fully fit for Amsterdam training.

I forgot to tell you a hair related swimming tip I read this week on DC Rainmaker's blog. Put conditioner on the ends of your hair before you put your cap on, then you get a full conditioning treatment whilst swimming and don't end up with quite so much frizz. If I ever get to the pool (swimsuit has been purchased!) I'll give it a try.

• thisisnattythisisnatty ✭✭✭

So great to see you all: Radar Sal, Jimbob, Nells, HiaHS, RR, ScottTW and Pottermoss. Great stuff out there today and thanks for, even if you don't realise how much, being a great support for me today- couldn't have done it without you.
    Good luck for all of your adventures in Stockholm / Comrades / the shorter stuff / the longer stuff / recovery from injury / and focused training. 

Events List

May 30: Kent Roadrunner - Thisisnatty. Stockholm Marathon - Eggy, Heroine in a Half-Shell, Mr Heroine in a Half-Shell, Keyser Suze, Nells, Scott the Walker.
    May 31: Bristol 10k - Benign Murmurring. Comrades - Dannirr, Running Rodent. Edinburgh Marathon - Meadower. Elleker Half – Penny71.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 6: Trailblazer Bedgebury Forest Half - Heidi Barr. Viking Coastal Marathon – RunClaire.
    Jun 7:  Ickenahm 5 – Jimbob. Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k – Nells. Stour Valley - Thisisnatty.
    Jun 13: Humph's Hilly Half – Orapidrun.
    Jun 14: City of London Mile – Jimbob, Kenno, Running Rodent. Cotswold 113 Half Iron Triathlon – Sunnysider Phil. Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon – Andy W, Nodster, Orbutt. Lochwinnoch Trail 10km – Eggy. Perth Marathon – Penny71. St Albans Half – Peter Sting Wray. Swansea Half – Minniemonster.
    Jun 20: Ridgeway Revenge Half – HeatherS.
    Jun 21: Nike Women’s 10k – Nells. Seven Hills of Edinburgh – Meadower.
    Jun 23 : Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 27: Cotswold Way Relay - Benign Murmurring.
    Jun 27-28: HARP 24 – LloydR.
    Jun 28: IronmanUK70.3 Wimbleball – Chunkytfg.
    Jul 3-5:  Long Course Weekend inc. Wales Marathon – Sunnysider Phil.
    Jul 4: Clontarf Half – Joanna3.
    Jul 4-5: Enigma Summer - Thisisnatty.
    Jul 5: Dyrham Park 10k - Benign Murmurring. Edgehill Half – Mattleydon. Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k – Nells.
    Jul 7: Methley canal run – Andy W.
    Jul 9: Cityrace Corporate 5k – Jimbob.
    Jul 11-12: Race to the Stones - Heroine in a Half-Shell, Orapidrun. Summer Ranscome – RunClaire(Sunday), Thisisnatty+MrNatty(Saturday).
    Jul 12: British 10k London – KeyserSuze, Mr KeyserSuze, Nells. DRAM Dundee Marathon – Meadower. Challenge Roth - Hatter 88. Leeds 10K – Andy W.
    Jul 18: Dorset Invader – KeyserSuze. Musselburgh 10k – Meadower.
    Jul 19: Olympic Park 10k – Jellybum, Jimbob, LloydR, Nells, Radar Sal, Running Rodent.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 26: Lunar-tic Marathon – Sunnysider Phil. Outlaw Ironman – Chunktfg.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 2: Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k – Nells. Ride London – Sunnysider Phil.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 8: HELP Half Marathon – Meadower.
    Aug 11: Boyska's birthday.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 22-23: Bad Cow Double – Heroine in a Half-Shell, Thisisnatty (Saturday only?).
    Aug 30: Severn Bridge half – HeatherS, Minniemonster. Shaken not Stirred – Thisisnatty. Trail Larroque 10K – Onetit.
    Aug 31: Cakeathon - Thisisnatty.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 6: Bridgwater Half - Heroine in a Half-Shell. Chippenham Half – HeatherS. Kenilworth Half – Mattleydon, Orapidrun. Wetherby 10K – Andy W.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 12: Marathon du Medoc – Benign Murmurring. Scotland Coast to Coast - Kaz.
    Sep 13: Great North Run – Andy W, Jimbob, Meadower, Peter Sting Wray. Ironman Wales – Sunnysider Phil. Kilmalcom Half – Eggy.

Sep 15: Yorkshireman off road Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Suzy Larkin.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 20: La Sapaicaine Half – Onetit.
    Sep 27: Berlin Marathon – LloydR, Meadower, Minniemonster, Nells. Paris-Versailles – Running Rodent. Windsor Half – Peter Sting Wray, Radar Sal.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 11: Chicago Marathon – Dannirr, Radar Sal. Oxford Half – Agentpenguin, Kenno, Orapidrun. Royal Parks Half – Jellybum, Nells. Yorkshire Marathon – Andy W.
    Oct 18: Abingdon Marathon – Sunnysider Phil. Amsterdam Marathon – Benignmurmmuring, Betzza, Emmy, Heroine in a Half-Shell, Jellybum, Jimbob, Kenno, KeyserSuze, Mattleydon, Nells, Nodster, Onetit, Orapidrun, Thisisnatty.
    Oct 24: Beachy Head Marathon – Meadower.
    Oct 25: Dublin Marathon - Joanna3. Marine Corps Marathon – Orbutt, Radar Sal.
    Oct 27-29: Three Lakes – Thisisnatty.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 1: Marlow Half – Agentpenguin. Men's 10k Edinburgh – Meadower.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. California International Marathon – Berkeley Runner.
    Nov 7-8: Enigma Fireworks Double – Heroine in a Half-Shell.
    Nov 15: Leeds Abbey Dash 10K – Andy W. St Neots Half – KeyserSuze.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 25-29: Saxon Shore mischief - Heroine in a Half-Shell (5in5), Thisisnatty (Double).
    Nov 29: Florence Marathon – Jimbob.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 20: Porstmouth Coastal Marathon – RunClaire, Sunnysider Phil.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7-10: Dopey Challenge: Heroine in a Half-Shell, Meadower.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 6: Anglesey Half – Agentpenguin, Nells.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 13: Silverstone Half – Andy-W-.
    Mar 17-20: Quad @ Enigma Week – Thisisnatty.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday. PARIS MARATHON 2016.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Brighton Marathon – Meadower, Thisisnatty.
    Apr 18: Boston – Sunnysider Phil.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt - if i make it to DC - as I plan to - then I may as well run!  My son is running it too, but he'll be a little ways ahead image

Off tomorrow to South Africa.  Comrades awaits us this Sunday, and a park run the day before. I'm feeling pretty confident as long as I don't screw up the pacing and go too fast in the first half.

Dannir, Running Rodent ...... Comrades Baby.
  • Danni - see you in Durban imageimage. Don't forget to pack your parkrun barcode.

• Great running this weekend everyone!

Orbutt great news you are off the injury bench.

Heidi the blisters are still there but have gone down and the toe is ok!

Running Rodent and Dannirr have an amazing Comrades you will both be great image look forward to race report!!

Good luck to the Stockholm runners.......you will also be great image

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Best wishes to Dannirr and RR - safe travels.

Stockholmers - all set?

Well done BUPA10k posse, the bar has risen for some, superb running. I liked that one very much last year, especially the return along the embankment. Does anyone else suspect that distances are not quite what they seem in any race where there's notification of the final metres? I'm sure they are always long.

• I have to work all day on Sunday. So annoyed image I'll miss 2 top stalking opportunities and I'm supposed to be running the Bristol 10k. I'm desperately trying to guilt trip someone into swapping a shift wit me. Grrrrr

Safe travels everyone doing Comrades or Stockholm. And epic running image

• Stockholm is starting at 12'oclock on Saturday BM, it's a strange one!!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of not having to get up early for the marathon in Stockholm, but have some concerns about starting at a time that would see you running through the hottest part of the day. Thankfully it's looking like a coolish day for Saturday.

I don't have a time goal for Stockholm. I just plan to go out and run the best I can and see where I end up. I've been running well, but did spend all Sunday ill and didn't manage to eat a thing all day. I made up for that yesterday right enough!

I'll do a watch check at the halfway point on Saturday. I know what time I need to be through the halfway point if I'm going to have a bash at a good time.

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Eggy - that sounds like a sensible way to make sure you enjoy the experience whilst also keeping a sneaky eye on the prize at the same time. Hope you're over whatever it was that got you on Sunday.

I'm out of Stockholm for this year as my niggly foot isn't appreciating longs over 10 miles for now. Trying to get that sorted as I start with the next batch of training for Autumn and am considering shooting again for Stockholm next year so will be reading your reports with interest. The midday start did have me pondering - nice to have a bit of a lie in, but also a danger I'd end up scoffing too much with that amount of time to wait! I think it was a late start time messing up his pre race fuelling that did for Steve Way in Doha wasn't it? Not that I'm quite in that league, but if it can happen to him, I'm sure I'd manage to mess it up too!

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running biggies this weekend. And don't forget ??? don't be shit !
  • I don't intend to wake up early enough for my pre-race nutrition to be messed up! Can't wait for a child-free lie-in!! Just a shame that I have to go all the way to Sweden (and run 26.2) to get it! image

Meadower - good news about your knee, glad you got a reasonable diagnosis, hopefully you'll be off the bench soon!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

I think that's what I was aiming to do when I was planning on running it HIAHS - have a big meal the night before, then a lovely lie in and breakfast as usual, with a flapjack and cup of coffee before heading off to the start. My only concern was getting lured by the pastries in Sweden...

• PARIS 2016 list

Preferential pen (speed of light):
    510 – The Jimbob

Red pen (3hr):
    3575 – Sunnysider Phil
    4465 – Heroine in a Half Shell
    4513 – Mr HIAHS

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9290 – Andy-W
    9090 – Steve Duffy 2

Blue Pen (3:30):
    16621 – Nodster
    18256 – LloydR
    ??????? - Kenno

Purple pen (3:45):
    29410 – Orbutt
    29546 – ThisIsNatty
    29611 – E mmy
    29639 – PC
    29707 – Onetit
    30515 – Mattleydon
    30667 – Pistol101
    30776 - Whiskybob
    31858 – KeyserSuze
    43575 – NGUG

Green pen (4hr):
    45575 – Magna Carter

Grey pen (4:15):
    57428 – Nells
    57140 - HeatherS
    58736 – Mr KeyserSuze
    65540 – Betzza
    66499 – Loulou

Pink pen (4:30+):
    65227 – Penny71
    67288 – Karen Bowman 2
    ???? –RunClaire
    ?????? -  Wendy Dibble

Unknown pen/number:

LeggyMountbatten
    Lisa123
    Orapidrun (hurry up and enter!!)
    Pottermoss
    Stuchbury
    Penny71
    Douglas

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Regarding Stockholm

Eggy writes that he intends "going out and running the best that he can and see where it takes him " and is immediately hailed as being sensible

Will I get the same answer ?

Well I forthwith announce " I'm going go out to run as fast as I can and see where it takes me"

It failed in Loch Ness , it failed in Paris, it failed in Edinburgh but by golly one of these days it'll work !!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Scott - That plan worked for me in Paris. Sounds sensible to me!

Scott. I'm not sure the "go out, run as fast as I can, and see where it gets me" technique is really the wisest option and I'm not sure if Eggy really did that. He might be pulling your leg. I reckon you have to know (roughly) what shape you are in and set a realistic goal pace and stick to it. If you overcook the first half you will come unstuck the second half. If you feel like there is more in there, pick it up the last 6 miles and overtake loads of the hanger-onners. Use the force buddy. I'll be on the stalk thread swearing at the screen.
  • Scott always goes out as fast as he can, it's his 'thing' and I wouldn't expect anything less! image 

Scott - did you walk in Paris?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Actually when it comes to me running a PB I'm the least strategically approached person you'll meet.

This year I've ran 5km (twice), 10 mile and half PB's and at no point in any of those races did I look at my watch to see what my time was or pace was until I'd crossed the finish line (this also stands for my 10km PB last year). I also ran my marathon PB this year and I only checked my watch about five times in the entirety of that race. I seem to run better off instinct and judging how I'm feeling than clock/pace watching.

In Paris this year I glanced at my watch at 5km and decided I was running too fast, so slowed down. I glanced again at 10km and decided I was too slow, so speed up! I looked at the watch again at the halfway point and saw I was bang on pace with my 2012 PB time and just told myself 2012 was getting its ass handed to it! I then glanced again at 25km and was feeling great at this point and could see my time was good still. Last look before the finish was at 35km. I knew at that point as long as I was running that I'd PB.

I'm pretty sure every single thing you'll read about running will tell you what I did was wrong, but it worked for me. Also when I ran my 5km PB at the weekend I thought I was going much slower and did stop to give someone a hug mid run! I'm also sure that's not in any of the running literature. image

Yes Eggy but in the marathon you were still checking the watch periodically , making sensible decisions and adjustments to your pace and ultimately getting rewarded with your best ever run. In most other races you can sometimes just 'effing go for it, I did it at Reading Half and expected to run out of steam. Ended up with a PB, but one can rarely get away with that recklessness in the marathon.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I think our Scott has a fantastic marathon run in him (his Paris 2013 time was bloody good). Injury free and training hard I'd say he's a better runner than me.

A good injury free run and he'll be smashing it. Hopefully in Stockholm, or maybe the 'Dam. Either of those or one of the many other races mini-boss forces us to enter against our free will!