winter running gear

SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
OK folks, its my birthday, yes I'm 50 today, thought I'd never get there. And with all the lovely money I've got from people who didn't quite know what or didn't dare to buy me anything, I might just get very brave and go into a running shop and buy something to run in, other than my usual baggy T-shirt and shorts, which in any case is beginning to get a bit chilly.

I can, if I dare, go in and try things on and see if they feel good, but advice as to what actually feels good still after 6 miles of sweating in the rain and cold (and what doesn't!) would be appreciated.

Need something on top, long sleeved, possibly several layers, and something long legged.

And folks, I'm 50, not 25, and definitely not of the skin-tight lycra generation, so...

Anyway, advice appreciated.

Comments

• I've recently bought some 'View From' stuff (larger M&S stores) and it's really good. Particularly useful is their little waistcoat thingy, reviewed in last RW mag. It has a criss-cross design of white lines on a charcoal background, and is very reflective. They also have a good mix of different styles of trousers, which are warm to start off in, but stop you getting soggy when you heat up.
  • Stickless, lycra is wonderful
    it holds in all the saggy bits and stops you chafing
    mind you, Im not sure what to wear for winter either
    I like my adidas tight things.
  • Happy birthday!!
    Glad you celebrated with a run!!
  • I'm a great lover of my thermal, long sleeved, high zip neck Hind top. Just that under a sprayway jacket saw the top of my body through most of winter last year. For the legs, i have Ascis and Sub4 tights. Not lycra tight, but close fitting and lovely fleecy lined. Cost £25 for the tights - 'cos i purchased at London Marathon exhibition in (shock horror) last year's colours and designs.
    Buy the basics for this winter, then see if you can get to London for the exhibition and pick up the 'old' stuff!!
  • Gillet (or little waistcoaty thingy as sassie says, except mines not so little!)is one of the best bits of kit I have when it gets chilly and/or wet. It keeps your core warm and still gives you free movement, somewhere to put stuff too.
  • I've always worn a helly and tracksters but have had the problem of wearing them into large holes after a couple of months so decided to purchases some lycra tights as my lycra shorts always manage to stay in one piece during the summer. Wore these tights for the first time yesterday but I found them very cold. Legs took ages to warm up. I'm sure as the winter progresses that I may need something else. Any suggestions.
  • Happy birthday Stickless! Hope you had a great day. What a good excuse for a gear frenzy. Like Sassie, I've got an M&S View From waistcoat thingy, which is excellent. Now it's got nippy, I'm running in Ron Hill trackies - the water repellant ones - which kept my legs nice and snug in the pouring rain on Sunday for my post-Paula run. And my Hind long sleeve top seems to be exactly the right degree of warmth of this time of year. What ever you buy, enjoy!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I think that blue hats & white gloves will be all the rage this winter out there on the road. Never worn tights to run but generally tend to wear lycra shorts under normal shorts (for modesty purposes).
  • Happy birthday!

Oooh, it´s 4 degrees here at the moment so I´m putting my winter running kit through its paces!

The most useful bit of kit I own is my new Lowe Alpine waterproof, windproof and breathable running top. It wasn´t one of the tops reviewed in this month´s Runners´World, but I think it´s actually a better bit of kit than any they reviewed, as it is very lightweight, has taped seams (v. important if you´re caught in a downpour!) packs away into a tiny bag ... and is a lovely bright orange so I can be seen!

And as it is windproof I´m toasty and warm with just a t-shirt underneath (and tights/shoes, of course!)

It was last year´s model, so cost about #80 (sorry, that should be a pound sign - I´m typing on an Icelandic keyboard!)... but with the weather we get out here, I think I can justify spending that much money!

Enjoy your shopping frenzy!
  • Has anyone tried the new tops from Nike? They appear, from the adverts in this months RW, to claim that you only need to wear this top as one layer. I was wondering if they are as good as they say they are.
  • Happy Birthday

gto treat yourself to some 'technical stuff'
    layers and wicking stuff

anybody know does helly stuff still shrink in the tumble dryer - had a long sleeve and tights years ago and it came out action man sized when I took to the launderette!
    Have a look in RW or at the websites for goodies and bargains
  • Haven't tried the new Nike stuff myself (called Sphere), but know a guy who has and apparently it's really good and warm. Their dri-fit running tights are good and quite thick, and stay warm even when wet. The basic tights cost £25, the new spangly looking ones cost about £50.

PS. I promise I don't work for Nike
  • only problem with a lot of technical stuff is its made for scrawny runners - sorry you skinny fit people - and as I'm a bit on the chunky side then things like tracksters and jackets - dont fit!

like going to a sportshop and finding womens kit only goes up to size 14 - I mean what about lady shotputters and rugby players!
  • I have a Hind long sleeve top which was brill last year if a little 'clingy'. I just for some what they call tights, which aren't as tight as they might be. They are breathable etc but quite loose around the top of the leg for a more flattering look.

Can't bring myself to but a fleecy top - I'm convinced I will cook! Someone tell me otherwise, as I've seen a few tempting look ones.
  • Fleecy tops - really useful for that first five minutes of running on a cold day ... then mine always ends up tied round my waist. Keeps my bum warm though. And helps to get me out or the door in the first place!
  • On a really cold day I swear by my fleece headband.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Some fleeces seem to be better than others at "wicking" or being breathable. Polartec 100 or "microfleece" seems to be the thing for running in & fleece has the advantage of retaining some warmth when wet (like wool which is also an option), however the thin ones will let the wind howl through so may be a gilet over the top on a breezy day.
  • Happy birthday Stickless welcome to the fifties, I always wear lycra, its just so comfortable, go on out and try some on and don't worry about what you look like in it, you're a runner, go for what will keep you warm and dry, I am no longer a 50 yr old as from last Sunday, but I am very lucky to be reasonably healthy and able to run and don't really care what I look like.
  • As a pending 50 year old (next March) and over 16stone, I wear lycra and don't worry about what I look like. Go for the comfort that lycra brings, and tights if you need the xtra warmth. Just don't go down the pub in them!!