First Ultra Marathon

Hi i am considering doing the race to the stones ultra in July. It would be my first ultra, I would quite like to do the one day race but so far the furtherst i have run is 26.2, Would it be better to go for the 2 day option for my first and work my way up or jump in at the deep end.

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Steve1984ukSteve1984uk ✭✭✭

Probably should have put this in the race to the stones thread sorry new to the forum

• Hi Steve. As you've possibly now seen from the RTTS thread, I am doing the race as my first ultra. I've taken the view that not having run over 26.2 before shouldn't be an issue. I plan to take the pace very, very easy and am prepared to try and push through when it starts to hurt, which it will.

Your issue though might be how close the race is. It all depends on what volume of running you're currently doing and have been doing over the last couple of months. Do you do a big weekly mileage, with some good long runs (20 miles or so) or are you starting from very little?

hi cotswoldrunner. thanks for the reply I am currently doing 35 to 50 a week prob average at about 40 l. long runs are 18 to 23 miles done 3 runs over 20 miles in the past month. i am doing a marathon in 2 weeks so being training for that. Last big run was 23 miles last week before work. what has your training been like for it? if i was going to do it i think id like to try a 30 mile run
  • Doesn't sound like your training's massively different to what I've been doing. I would have liked to do a 50k in the build up too but am hoping to do a back to back 20 miler and marathon as booktrunk suggested on the other thread.

I guess the only thing you might want to do differently than you were going to, is to back off the pace you run your marathon, if you were planning an all out effort.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

"in for a penny, in for a pound" image

yeah back to back 20 miles would be a good idea would you do that in one day? might sign up to the 1 day one. Would feel good to do it in one day i think.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Steve: back to back over two days, eg. Saturday/Sunday 

thanks will give that a go will read through the other thread too seems pretty popular the race looks good and well organised the wall ultra looks good too
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Both do look good, but also two of the most expensive ultras by mile image lots of other cheaper ones around. image 

do you get much extra on the expensive ones more food stations etc? could you recommend any others im in the north west
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Compared to The Wall, this looks great value and a nicer course. 

http://www.trailoutlaws.com/stcuthbert.html

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

As far as I can tell not really, I've been on £30 ultras which have had as much food, I guess there might be some paid for staff as opposed to all volunteers, but seriously I don't think the cost effects much whst food is available, also should be taking a decent amount of your own food.