Steve Prefontaine

NayanNayan ✭✭✭
Firstly, I admit that I am only someone who runs for health and enjoyment and not a serious, lifelong hardocre 'athletics fan.' So, with that out of the way can anyone tell me what the big deal is here? And sub question: if this guy had not been American would anyone still be hero worshipping him 40 years on?

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm not an expert, but as well as being an American, he also had incredibly stylish facial hair, and was pretty good with a motivational one-liner.  Also, Prefontaine. What a cracking name!

• Probs had a lot to do with the tragic circumstances and age at which he died - in effect making him the James Dean of running.

• It just seems quite obvious why people are interested in him. As Dave alludes to, if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't get it. Do a google search on him and see what you find.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

....or read the book. You'll understand then.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I think it's an am'era'can thing. He held u.s records at 7 distances at once, so he could run and no other(white) American has done much since. Out there they still love cars that are only good in a straight line and have cart springs. So it is an am'era'can thing!
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I had already read up a little. Talked a lot. Ran a bit. Won hearts and minds. Got drunk and killed himself.

I just don't follow why he remains such an inspiration to folks.

I didn't realise you could be that big an anti hero wighout bring , you know, French.

As to his one liners I liked the one about how anyone who dared to beat him would have to bleed but it seems Wide of the mark. the three guys who beat him in the Olympics didn't look like they were haemorrhaging at all.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Isn't there a huge Nike link that helps Keep the flame burning? 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I only know what I have mentioned but I guess he was like a running Rocky in the U.S. and maybe to the wider world too.

Regardless of his world class merit or lack of it, he is still admired in broad circles. Not many runners from his era get that much respect.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Didn't Rocky actually win though? Even if he was a fictional character?

Listen I don't doubt that he had some talent- he was Americas number one after all. I'm just curious about how running publications are all lionising him after all these years but there are better athletes who have faded into obscurity.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The only bits I know of the guy are: He used to warm down after races at 5 minute mile pace, and that he predicted that if Mary Decker (Slaney) didn't ease up in training, she'd spend half her career injured.

He was correct on that score. However, I had a letter published in AW saying the same about Paula Radcliffe. I was also correct.

But what makes me different from Prefontaine is I'm not dead! which I guess means my warm downs are faster than his, no matter how slow they are.

🙂