Stinking cold & half mara in 19 days

I've developed a stinking cold (sore head, snot, bunged up, cough the works) I've got Trail Half Marathon in 19 days time in N Wales.

I was hoping to get a couple of long runs in this week & maybe a 13.2 miler the week after.

I'm thinking it won't do my training too much harm having a week off as I don't think I'll do myself any justice running when I feel like this.

It's the first time I've felt this bad with an event coming up, just need reassurance I'll not slip back too much.

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You should have all your training in the bank by now so it's probably the best time to get a cold. A few days rest will probably do you some good.
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Thanks,that's what I'm hoping, I did an 11 mile fell race a few weeks ago, a few 10k /11k beach/hill sessions last week.

• I agree. If you get properly rested now and get over it as effectively as possible, you might then be able to get back to a bit of training before the event. Rather that than tire yourself while trying to recuperate. Nice things about a trail half are that a) no-one knows how fast you "ought" to have done it, and b) the suffering has limited duration compared with say a marathon. At the worst, if you still have a bad chesty cough the day before then I would quite possibly scratch it for health reasons.