Comrades 2016

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

My entry auto populated with my Championship number.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hmm, I'll e-mail them to check, worst case I purchase another chip.

• lowrez you may be able to log in and update that detail yourself. If it changes again then email them ... there are always a handful of ankle biters along those lines but I don't recall anyone from here not, ultimately, overcoming them all before race day image

I am not entering now - if I end up fit and healthy in the spring, then I might go the substitutions route. I have done quite enough "do as I say not as I do" stuff and now just want to be able to even walk round a parkrun in one piece!! May hang around here for the fun anyhoo though

• F2D - Absolutely the right thing; become fixed then become UltraWoman again. We definitely need you to stay attached as our logistics expert, without you we will end up stranded in Paris with broken flight connections and no hotels.

I think I have figured out some of the chip conundrum; remember us all comparing shoe collections last year? This chip I see before me is from the Cape Town marathon! I was convinced it was my ChampionChip simply because I was running in those shoes on and off...none of my other trainers are chipped though? Which means I have put my ChampionChip in a very safe place somewhere? So safe, I now think, that I will never see it again image

• Aha! Mr K! So, you are in? Opps=OK, paid, participating, super? image

• 1) suitcase pockets. 2) bedside table drawer 3) sideboard drawer 4) underbed drawer 5) pockets of jackets & other clothes worn to SA
  • F2D=worth weight in gold! I now have my checklist for when I get in tonight!

• Other suggestions - where you keep any SA currency/passport/travel docs. Or, in the case of the phone charger I recently mislaid, in the fridge (don't ask).

Comrades isn't in my list for next year - have decided to spend more of my travelling pennies seeing my nearest and dearest rather than jetting off on my own. But will be following you all enthusiastically from my armchair image
  • RR - Sorry you won't be running down the hill with us; will you find time to squeeze a jog around Paris in again? Thanks for the list extension - I could stretch to understanding chips being kept in the freezer, but the fridge does baffle me (I'm not asking!).

• Easily done - come in to the house, put phone charger down, start putting things away in fridge that got left out e.g. jam, mustard, lemon juice, pack of margarine, other things on the side which are about that shape and size such as a phone charger with its wire neatly wrapped up...

I always used to worry I would accidentally put the hamster (we had them, decades ago) back in the microwave instead of (same size and shape, also with a front door) her cage. Hamsters are also not much smaller than a small baked potato. Never did, but even now the thought still haunts me.

• I'm in.  Hoping to get my qualifier out of the way at Kosice on 4 October.  The aim is for sub 3:40, then I can focus on Comrades training next year, rather than chasing a qualifier as I was last year.  It still feels like I'm not 100%, possibly thyroid related, which has been going on since about April last year.  Race times have been down on previous years but I got a couple of 1st lady finishes in smallish events over the Bank Holiday, in a half and an ultra, so it's not all bad.

• I'm in too, hoping for my back to back.  Planned qualifier = Frankfurt on 25 October.

• Frankfurt was cool. I threw up in the FestHalle and then we got bought drinks by a guy who was totally not a gangster of any kind.
  • I'm in enjoyed the up hoping the downs as much fun

• One of the joys of having a man cave is that it can slowly accumulate "stuff" and nothing gets disturbed by anyone but you; hang on, the innocuous 4th carrier bag on the second step down...yeehaar! How come those trainers have not rotted after living in that enclosed environment all this time? Mind flashes back to arriving home on 2nd June, dropping several bags in that region and sinking into a blissful sleep on the settee...I wonder what's in the others, oh well chip found and time for a cup of tea...

Must check that CC recognise its my chip next.

John, Ringo...Becca (can you change your name to George and I'll re-do mine to Paul and we'll run down The Long and Winding Road, All Together Now, Helter Skelter, Free as a Bird...)

F2D you gotta get cured, we need you! 

Becca; we go for qualification same day, me in Chester, hoping for a sub 4, but, to be honest I don't deserve it on current training. Hope your thyroid gets sorted asap, you are turning out some great times despite that! Good luck in Kosice.

John, we are both going for back to back! Good luck in Frankfurt. Ringo, are you on a back to back too?

• More so, ringo. It has several plus points:

1) in the second half, when you are kind of hoping to get to the finish soon (please God), lots of handy downhills so Gravity can assist you with that 
    2) an agreeable bus journey up to the start where you can stare out of the window at the stars and doze, rather than huge queues for an indescribable bus journey back to Durbs after the race when you feel like dog sick made flesh
    3) and being able more or less to walk "home" (at worst a v short taxi) from the finish
    4) seeing the dawn at last as you crest the hill out of PMB and take that left turn down to Durban
    4) running through the countryside as the sun rises - so much nicer than when it's baking down in the afternoon

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I just entered.  I am doing Abingdon as my qualifier although hoping that i can go down the charity route to buy my way in to a decent pen.  I guess you dont opt for it when you enter or you can change later on?  I didnt opt for it when entering.

• Yes, you can sign up later for charity, I did that last year when I scraped 4:59 in Cape Town.

• Just signed up and back for some more fun again. Hopefully a more chilled run this time around.

• Sounds brilliant fido2dogs getting a taxi after the up took nearly as long to run it! Those downs sound wonderful as does some cooler weather I think I drank my own bodyweight in powerade

• Yes Lowrez it's a back to back for me.I thought I wouldn't but about 5 seconds after receiving the medal my mind was made up,though Mrs ringo wanted to burn my passport. Not running as a fast as last year as chasing the 100. Hoping to get an ice qualifier at speedy Cheste.if not then Abingdon and my Alamo marathon is Manchester.

• Nice to see some familiar faces still here.

I have just had a phone call from my other half saying enter... treat yourself!!! Last one was 2012 so it's been a while. Still trying to justify it to myself....

Different training budget now so no pressure with targets either.

• Perhaps you should remind people of your exciting story last trip Ode! There are precautions people can take right now so that the don't end up in the same situationimage
  • PS my rehab takes an hour a day!
  • Lol Fido. I did have a quick scan back and followed the thread for a little while. On the mend so onwards and upwards.

The little one is now 3 and a half and started pre-school proper last week! I am a changed man nowimage so if I was presented with that situation again I certainly wouldn't go...

• Iirc Kevin, and Sam'n'Clive, had similar circumstances.

One thing the old ladies don't have to worry about, thank goodness!
  • Just booked the City Lodge, difference in current pricing with the Hilton is astronomical, no sign of the deal I got last year, have concluded they took their eye off the ball last year, if you try a "flexible dates" thing on the Hilton site you can see how well they have sewn it up this year. City Lodge looks splendid though, Flights next!

Ringo - sounds like you are chasing the 100 marathon mark? Chester is my first qualification shot too. I will however collect for charity again so even if I churn out another 4:59 penCC beckons me.

Odeon - What a grand other half! Will you be investing in the F2D recommended handbag as a suitable response?  

• All signed up for next year, gotta see what this B2B is all about.  Locked and loaded with flights as well.  Air France £476 - same flight as last year.  Now just need to inform the Mrs.  Better to ask for forgivness than ask for permission