Don't forget to wash your hands

So, I'm just cooking tea.

Decide that there's an opportune moment to go to the loo. Obviously I wash my hands before resuming cooking operations.

After a minute or two I realise that all is not well downstairs. Hopping from foot to foot. Cold sweat. Hot snooker cue. Two plus two equals? Has anyone guessed that I had just been handling dried chillies?

Sometimes, you have to remember to wash your hands before handling meat.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Is that where your name comes from?
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

At our xmas party I got someone some very hot chilli sauce, and we were all trying it and a bloke had a similar accident... He spent 20 minutes in his chair shaking, we were worried we might have to take him to A&E or stick it in a glass of milk! image 

• Yoghurt is used in Indian restaurants for many purposes.

• my eyes are watering at the thought..........image

• roasted nuts anyone?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

That has happened to me quite a few times. The pain is not immediate but slowly comes on and then gets worse and worse, is like a frozen/burning sensation and is very unpleasant. Have had to have a shower to fully clean my poor frazzled bits.

Nowadays I am wiser. I wash my hands extensively after chopping chilis, and even then I try and wee hands free.

Also....careful not to rub your eyes...ouch!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

This will be well known to anyone who has been in HM forces and undergone the annual gasmask test, in a tent full of CS gas ...

• Yep yoghurt - there's a thread on here about ten years back where the ralgex migrated from my inner thigh migrated to give a similar situation

• When I was at uni a similar thing happened to me, and I was given a very useful tip by one of my housemates who was a bit of a chef. He told me that after handling chillies you should rub your hands with salt to get all of the chilli residue out of your pores, then rinse under cold water.

• Better still, the advice from Madhur Jaffrey, famous Indian TV chef.

Wear rubber gloves to handle or chop chillies.

(This assumes a modicum of intelligence, that you are going to remove them before the next thing you need to do.)