Options

NOTTINGHAM MARATHON/EARPHONES

Comments

• Options

and incorrectly assume we are more at risk than Joe Public.

• Options

Could be a Midlands Phobia.

• Options
    Well done Leicester. Weed the buggers out.
  • Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

and an american

• Options

Well done the majority, embrace the music lovers.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Who doesn't like music?

But there's a time and place for everything.

Most of us like a good f.., but do that in the middle of the road and see where it gets you.

🙂

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

You're wasting your breath, guys.

Terry knows best. He lives by nobody's rules.

• Options

Wrong Muttley. I know the rules and believe it or not I haven't broken them regarding headphones. I have run Leicester with them when it was safe and avoided the run when they are not safe - ridiculous. You still miss the point of the unreasonableness of the ban in the light of a global practice of mostly allowing them. 

Bit like writing to london and saying I want them banned because of the danger....would you be wasting your breath, would their response be - there's a time and place for running with headphones and this is the time and place.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

You run with your headphones on Terry. Stick it to The Man image

• Options

Only when it's allowed of course.  If you see me in York give me a nudge or trip as I won't know who did it.

• Options

Just came across this.  I've run Nottingham half twice, both times with headphones.  There was a psychological element to it as I'd run with them through all of my training runs.  The other part of it was that I liked to get audio cues from Runkeeper (I've now got a pebble watch to get that in real time).

This year I ran the London Marathon, but trained to run it without headphones and I didn't miss them.  I actually made a good friend on the start line and we chatted a lot of the way round.  Wouldn't have happened with headphones.  I've also started running with a few people on a Wednesday night (Selston/underwood/jacksdale area if you're local and fancy it?).  As there's a group it's a lot easier to run and be sociable.

Lastly I had headphones last year and struggled (poor prep).  I was begging the music to help and it just didn't.  The route this year is more scenic and hopefully more spectators will be out to cheer.  I'll not be wearing headphones and would encourage you to try going without.  But, I 100% understand why you do if you do!  It's not just a race, it's a huge personal goal.  Regardless of what you do, take satisfaction from the sense of achievement.

• Options

I like to run with headphones but if the race rules say no then I don't but then I get really pissed off with those who do because I really wanted to wear them.

Last year at notts there was a guy running near me who really got on my nerves.  Partly because he was wearing headphones and no marshalls were stopping him; partly because his headphones were so loud I could hear the music and partly because every time I tried to get past him he would put on a spurt to not let me pass.  (he was doing the half I was doing the full so I was glad to get shot of him).

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    hellen wrote (see)

and partly because every time I tried to get past him he would put on a spurt to not let me pass.

This is actually way more annoying than the headphone-wearing.  I would've given him a massive wedgie.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Just more proof that hedfone wearers are not right.
  • Options

Not a reasoned argument not to wear them.  Clearly the majority of organisers of large marathons need their heads testing for allowing them - NOT.

• Options

If you want to wear phones read the small print and if the race is no headphones, pick another race. It's not difficult. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wonder if this headphones business is really about image, or rather the implications of the image. A bit like the long handled putter saga in golf.

If it is about image, maybe the running fraternity can do something about the 'footballing' of our sport. Personally I want to run in shorts that are not enormously baggy and reach past my knees.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of baggy short wearing, phone pouch on arm, headphone wearing runners about now. They're dangerous.
  • Options

All runners are potentially dangerous.  The prohibition of headphones is merely to cater for the politically correct health and safety brigade.  If they were a serious danger 'England Athletics' or even a world governing body if there is such a thing, would ban them out-right.  The reality is the majority of events do not prohibit them.  No doubt deaf people shouldbe banned as they can't hear instructions.  If it's not broken, don't fix it and many marathons aren't broken as a result of headphones.

• Options
    Maybe they should make headphone wearers run on the right hand side of the road.

Trying to get past people who can't hear you breathing down their necks is a nightmare.
  • Options

Vote with your wallet. If you do not want to run in a race that does not allow headphones. Simply, boycott it. 

Banning headphones for elites that are competing for titles and prize money is fair enough but to ban it for Average joggers is harsh. 

• Options
    Good point. Put the joggers with earphones at the back with the fancy dress people.
  • Options

Some 'joggers' with headphones are pretty fast, well above average.  The slow fancy dress folk, the slow overweight/underweight, the deaf, might annoy and be a danger to me as I pass them, but ban them, NO.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Do joggers jog in races? I doubt it.

I just don't know why people need music to get them through a race. The music players are extra weight. The headphones/earphones make your ears all sweaty and the music obviously distracts from the job at hand of running fast and listening out for predators and landslides. Obviously there is looking like a numpty to consider too.

If people can't handle exercising without music then maybe they would be better suited to an aerobics class where they are with like minded folk and safe from traffic and getting in people's way.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Terry Hindson wrote (see)

Some 'joggers' with headphones are pretty fast, well above average.  The slow fancy dress folk, the slow overweight/underweight, the deaf, might annoy and be a danger to me as I pass them, but ban them, NO.

do you hate deaf people?

you seem to have a thing about them.

• Options

VDOT51 - Well if you think they should be banned you have a lot of educating to do to change the mind set of the majority of organisers who allow the use of headphones as they using their sound judgement see the usage as not a problem.  Skotty - deaf people, certainly don't have a problem with them or blind people, I include them in the discussion to highlight the illogical arguemnt against the use of headphones -  able bodied runners using them are no more a danger than the deaf runners.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Terry Hindson wrote (see)

Skotty - deaf people, certainly don't have a problem with them or blind people, I include them in the discussion to highlight the illogical arguemnt against the use of headphones -  able bodied runners using them are no more a danger than the deaf runners.

All you are highlighting is the illogical argument used by those in favour of wearing headphones.

• Options

You would also conclude that in having to live without hearing on a daily basis, deaf people are far more likely to compensate via a heightened sense of awareness of what's going on around them using other cues, than your average headphone wearing dingbat.

• Options

Skotty - merely stating if it is ok for deaf people (using the logic that supports this) it is ok for able bodied folk.  Big-Bad, certainly yes BUT there will be those who are 100% deaf and any compensation would not apply to them and hence they are in the same category as those wearing headphones with the music at a high volume.  For those wearing them on a low volume, they are not more being distracted than those runners engaged in a casual conversation as they run - instructions from marshall can be heard by both.