Odd Ankle injury

Hi, 

just wondering if anyone else has had the injury I've developed and what the possible implications might be.  I ran my first ultra a week ago (race to the stones - fantastic!) and all was fine until the next day.  My left foot was hard to point up - there was pain and stiffness on the very top of the foot - I dont know what the joint is but its the very top tendon (I think) on top.  My left ankle - just above the ankle really - was also swollen - so much so that wearing socks leaves deep marks.

Since the run its gone down considerably but its still stiff - I'm guessing just rest is the cure but would welcome any other thoughts on what the injury might be.

Cheers

Comments

• Hi Chris, Yes, you've obviously upset the tendon/tendon sheath. Could be something as simple as your laces having got a bit tight, or you may have irritated things and got a tenosynovitis (inflammation of the tendon sheath) or even tendonitis (inflammation of the tendon). I suggest going for the standard RICE for a few days (well, you may find that compression is not good, but rest, ice and elevation should all help) and letting it all settle down.

And congrats on your first ultra - hope you enjoyed it!

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I had that too aftr a recent hilly ultra- think it's tendonitis as said above- ICE definiately helped, and so did some KT taping- look up on youtube to see how to do it. Recovered quickly- I was back running within 7 days.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Chris T - that's tendonitis by the sounds of it.  It'll probably be painful for about a month or so.  Get the swelling down with ice and elevation, etc (immersing your foot in a bucket of iced water the best method).  For exercises try heel raises off a step but NOT heel dips.  You should be able to go running again after a while but have you shoes laced up very loosely and avoid uphills until the problem has gone.

Probably caused by ramping up the distance too quickly or as simple a thing as tying your shoes up too tightly.  Your feet swell a lot during the course of a long ultra and you do have to keep loosening your shoes.