Options

Outlaw 2016

Comments

• Options

And this year's 'Pebble Award' goes to ........ image

• Options

Me? Really?  Oh my god!  No, seriously? I can't believe it! It's been a roller coaster, a truly incredible journey. 

• Options

A bit of waffle about my race:

For me doing an Iron distance race is a family thing. It works well and my wife and children (well, in this instance just one of them) enjoy coming along too and I enjoy them being there. Therefore I tend to do races that we can easily get back home from in time for school on Monday morning or races that are in the school holidays – consequently I’ve done Outlaw a couple of times in the past. Last year it took me 10hrs 58mins and my aim for this year was to go 5 minutes quicker, anything else was a bonus.

When it opened I’d no real plans to enter the 2016 race but because the weather was so grotty in 2015 I thought that it couldn’t be nasty for two consecutive years – so I entered. Fortunately, as it turned out, I was right.

We arrived on Friday to a very subdued campsite and, as we have a motorhome, parked up on one of the posh electric pitches. I was having a bike issue and so the first thing we did was go to see the TFN bike bod. I’m now very familiar with the BBright bottom bracket – and despite it being replaced and the new one on and off the bike a couple of times in the last week the bloody thing is still noisy.  By Saturday lunchtime the campsite had all changed, it felt like an Outlaw weekend and it was great to say hello to some fellow Pirates. Saturday afternoon was bag packing, racking and faffing. And then it was Sunday – race day.

I’ve done a few races since I started triathlons. I think this was my seventh iron distance race and probably just as many half’s. Nowadays, I can only treat half’s as training sessions and I don’t get nervous about them at all. However for iron distance races the nerves don’t diminish at all and I get just as nervous as I was at the start of Challenge Henley in 2012.

At the bike racking, due to the sunshine, we’d been advised to take some air out of the tyres so me, along with everyone else in the race it seemed, had a pre-swim trip to transition with a track pump. That done it was wetsuit on and into the lake. The swim is only 2 lengths – but they’re quite long lengths. I’ve had better swims and I’ve had worse, I never really found any long stretches of clear water but it was okay. My Garmin got knocked about 3 minutes (I investigated yesterday, apparently you can lock the buttons, who knew – not me!) so I’ve no file for Garmin and Strava but the swim did happen and the official timing had me at just short of 72 minutes which is a little slower than I’d hoped for.

• Options

A bit more waffle about my race:

Into transition, where I was soon joined by Scuba, he mentioned that he was concerned when he’d seen me fall over outside the change tent. Actually I hadn’t fallen and I was just me submitting myself to the wetsuit strippers – people who make my T1 time far quicker than it’d otherwise be! T1 of 5 minutes and I was out on the bike.

Despite my noisy bottom bracket from start to finish the bike was fantastic. It felt great from the word go. I thought should I save something for the run or just go for it and see what happens. Telling myself I used my quads on the bike and calves on the run (which may be absolute rubbish but it worked for me) I went for it. Average speed up to the first (Pirate!) feed station was 23.65mph and going through the feed with all the cheers and noise was excellent. Southern loop felt like it took forever, missed getting some High 5 at feed 2 so ran out of drink for a while, got High 5 at every other feed and had a lovely ride. Southern loop felt even longer second time round but after 5hrs 14 mins I was back at HPP telling the bike catcher person “that’s quite enough cycling for one day”.

T2 - 3 mins 51 seconds the timing says and that included a few seconds “break” where I just went through my pocket binning all the rubbish I’d accumulated on the bike. Then I went running….

My running is slowly improving but rarely do I do out for a run and come home saying how much fun it was. I was enjoying being first Pirate though and the people on the first run feedstation were making a lot of noise about the approach of the first Pirate – shame I had to have a toilet stop in the toilets that were 10 metres before their feed station but needs must! After my quick break it took a while to find some rhythm but when I did the first half of the run ticked by quite nicely. I’d seen Posh Twat on the out and back bit and, seeing how he was going, I got it into my head that my stint as leading Pirate wasn’t going to last. For the second half of the run it was hard going and there was some walking. Saw Posh Twat again and he was getting nearer. If I had told myself I’d beat him then maybe I would have but in my head Posh T was finishing before me and as it was about a third of the way round the final lap he was with me. All credit to him, he said we could run the last bit together but he was obviously quicker than me and he’d had a great race and I didn’t want to slow him down so I told him to go on ahead. Finally I was heading toward the home straight with my son waiting to run in with me. 3hrs 50 for the run and 10hrs 26mins overall – I was absolutely chuffed to bits. Posh Twat was waiting for me at the end I think the first thing I asked was how much younger than me he was. Knowing I had 14 years on him just enhanced my chuffed-ness!

Somehow I was 4th in my age group. Maybe all the other 45 to 49 years old had a bad day or went somewhere else as I’d never have imagined that happening. The weather was ideal for me so that helped but I’m already thinking that I’ll probably be at Outlaw in 2017 and could I get 3rd in AG and a little trophy? It depends on a lot of things but, if I can put the long run training in, I’m sure there’s more time to be taken off the run – and if I try next year and can’t do it I can aim for 2018 when I’ll be in the 50-54 age group!!

Ironman Vichy next - 33 days time! 

• Options
    PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

OK, before the race report, thanks to everyone this weekend - fellow competitors, feedstationers, and all those at the campsite. Great to meet more of you. Particular mention to Zakalwe for the bike climb up Oxton, and an apology to Cotswold Wolf for being very uncommunicative on the run - I'd reached the thousand-mile stare stage and you'd have had to set a bomb off next to me to get much reaction.

Anyway, a race report - I copied the one I did for my running club, so apologies for the explanations of bits that were obvious if you were there.

There's something very odd about putting on sun tan cream at 5:00 in the morning, but that was how the day started. My transition times are bad enough without doing makeup as well! Once done, it was down to the lake for a final bike check (they warn you not to leave your food box on the bike overnight, as the birds get well enough fed already) and wetsuit on ready for the start.

The Outlaw start is awesome to watch, and slightly scary to do. All 1200 entrants start on the same horn, spread across the rowing lake, and although people are roughly graded into 4 pens there's still a certain amount of working out how fast the people around you are swimming. It wasn't too bad once we'd got going, and after about 15 minutes I was able to swim without bumping into anyone. After about another ten minutes of this, it occurred to me that this was not normal, and I probably ought to check why no-one was anywhere near me. That was about the point I ran aground, and realised that the rest of the world was streaming past in somewhat deeper water. We were swimming into the sun, so sighting was a question of aiming approximately for the far end of the lake. My circular route continued by finally closing the turn marks at about a 45 degree angle away from anywhere else, but at least I'd got there.

The return swim was better, although I was still drifting left and doing the occasional piece of gardening. After last year, when I made the cutoff by 5 minutes, I was nervous when I looked down at my watch at the water exit, but was delighted to see 1:33. If I could learn to swim in a straight line I'd be getting somewhere!

The buzz from the swim carried me through transition and out onto the bike, where I started far too fast. The first 30km blasted past, and overtaking carbon speed machines is always fun, but sanity reasserted itself and shortly after reaching Andy and Sam on the pirate feedstation for the first time, and I realised that drinking and eating might be a good idea. I got into a routine of a gel every 15km, mostly washed down with water or high5 zero, and that seemed to carry me round. I had jelly babies for special occasions, like passing another carbon bike going up the Oxton Bank (the guy had clearly leased his bike gears on the basis that he could return any ones he didn't use, and was out of his saddle riding a massive gear with a pained expression on his face. I decided I didn't have time to explain).

Hitting the pirate station for the second time kept me going, although the speed was falling off. Glancing down at my distance readout, I realised I 'only' had 30km to go, and started planning my second transition before realising that it was still an hour away at best. No, I wasn't nearly there yet after all, and the last haul back to Holme Pierrepoint against the wind felt like hard work. However, I completed the 180km in 6:49, and most importantly this year I was still warm when I finished. Possibly a little too warm, but so much better than last year.

• Options
    PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

Out to the run, and the plan was to run between the feedstations and walk while actually drinking. It was still hot, and despite going through 7 full bottles on the bike I was still having to drink at every station - which was about every mile and a half. I'd got very bored with gels by then and was trying to work with Jaffa cakes and crisps, by my dry throat wasn't enjoying it. In the end, I went back to gels and water, with High5 zero to try and keep the salt levels up.

The plan was working well for most of the run - I hit the halfway point in 2:15, which was fine for speed, and although it was hurting to start running each time I was moving along well enough. I got back to the lake with 7km to go, and was looking for a good run time, when something went wrong, and my left knee decided it had had enough and it didn't want to take any weight any more. I'm still not sure why - it's not a problem that I have had before - but my back had been giving me a bit of gyp after the bike and it's possible I wasn't running as freely as I normally do (and anyone who's got an idea on that, please let me know!). I tried to walk off the pain and then get running again, but I got another 200m and it died again. Walking seemed to work, but running wasn't going to happen. I walked to where Andy and Sam were waiting, and told them that the last lap was going to be a bit longer. Glancing at the event clock on the way past, I had 45 minutes to walk 5km if I was going to break 14 hours. I tried to get my arms swinging and kicked on a bit, and hit the 1km mark with 12 minutes to go. Sam was waiting and we finished together, even managing a run for the last 200m down the deafening finishing tunnel. The support at this event is like nothing I've seen anywhere else. We finished in 13:56:47. Very happy, very dehydrated (despite all the water stops!).

• Options

Was good to see Mallowpuff, Mathschick and Effing Madness at the briefing.  So strange to finally put faces to nicknames.  Also bumped into Just Coop Going before the swim.

I had a brilliant time.  The pirate feed station was great as were every single marshal and feed station.  Everyone was so helpful. My first time at this distance.  Tough, tough, day and I could give lessons in how not to do an Iron distance.  2 minutes before the start my goggles snapped so mad dash to a marshal who fortunately had been left another competitors goggles who didn't want them.  Not surprised, they were so bad.  Couldn't see anything out of them, but then I doubt anyone could going up the lake.  I probably could have seen with my own goggles on the way back, but I was just grateful to have anything at all.  I almost wimped out after 300m though, as I was having a bit of a panic - strange goggles, totally blind, managed to be in the midst of lots of swim biff.  Strong talking to myself and managed to settle.  Probably had to defog/clear the goggles around 8 times in the swim.  Onto the bike and after an hour I had bad stomach ache and couldn't eat anything solid.  Never had a problem in training.  Total food consumed on the bike was 1 mini pork pie (which probably gave me stomach ache), 1/2 energy bar, 1 gel from a feed station and 3 halves of bananas at 3 feed stations.  Did manage to consume 2 bottles of energy drink which must have kept me going.  The 3rd loop on the bike was hard going, as the wind had picked up by the time I got there.  Just seemed to take forever and was creeping along.  Kept having to remind myself that at least I was moving forward.

Finally onto the run. Who stole my legs?  The lap around the lake seemed to take forever, and the towpath just went on and on and on .........  Had 1 gel fairly early in the run, but that didn't settle well in my problematic stomach.  Survived the rest on coke, water and sucking on the refreshing oranges - so damn good!  The loop after the bridge I actually found the easiest part.  Collected my second band and back out onto the never ending towpath. Coming back onto the lake that 3rd loop just didn't seem to end.  I walked the entire length going into the wind on the 3rd loop.  Collected 3rd band and then I just wanted to get the job done.  I had friends that had travelled up for the day, so didn't want to keep them hanging around for too much longer. They had already waited long enough image.  No idea who the 2 pirates were towards the top of the lake but you were doing great with the cheer leading.

Thoroughly enjoyed most of it.  Support was unbelievable.  I for one will definitely be back.  First iron distance where I just wanted to meet the cut offs.  I would have been over the moon with 15 hours, but I couldn't believe it when I came home in 13 hours, 33 minutes and 10 seconds, or thereabouts.  And then I found out I came 3rd in my AG.  Not bad considering it didn't exactly go to plan.

Same time next year?

• Options
    Pirates you are all Oarsum and simply the best.

Had a tough day on course but your support, help, feed station and friendly abuse got me to the finish. I walked from mile 14 and was about to quit befor last 5k lake lap. But pirate hugs & a talking to got me through, especially with Seren & Ghost chaperoning me around. Then Cake joining in with the sing along, skipping lesson and horror movie quotes.

The red carpet invasion and finish welcome made my day. Not quite the day I planned or trained for but the finsh made up for it as I'm sure if I was quicker it wouldn't have been as great.

Proud to be a Pirate & Outlaw - thank you all.
  • Options

Pirates are the best - best supporters eva!!

• Options
    Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Razor or Horse - Meldy left some of your clothing in the tent. Drop me a PM and I can arrange to get it back to you.

It was Horse, he forget to get it!  

Cheggers, interesting that you can lock the buttons, I always manage to stop mine mid swim, I think y wrist catches the side buttons somehow,  how does locking them work .. can you unlock them after the swim  or is there another cunning plan?

• Options

If its the same as my Fenix 3, hold the light button for a short while and 'lock buttons' will pop up... press start to lock..... a second hold of the light button unlocks it.... saves accidental button presses...

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Meldy,

I've not had another swim yet so I've not tested this yet but it suggests you can unlock easily enough. I'm using a Fenix 3 and the details are here - http://endurohub.co.za/fact-13-locking-your-fenix-3s-buttons-its-a-wise-option/

And for a 920 they're here - http://navworld.co.za/3-hidden-features-on-the-garmin-920xt/

I just had a quick search on Google to get the info. Will find out if it works later on this week. What you say about the side buttons makes sense - I certainly sometimes catch the side button when I'm cycling.
  • Options
    No need to apologise Paperman.

Some serious times going on well done to all.

Upto 5 weeks before race day all training had been going to plan, then things started to go wrong. Had a few problems.

first I had an eye infection which Dr. Gave me some ointment for, ointment calmed it down however I was told if it happened again I would need an operation.

Secondly - an elderly member of wife's family was rushed into hospital (all OK now) being 2 hours away was tough on training times.

Thirdly - I manage a team of three at work and we had a big project to get ready the week before raceday one lad left and another went on the sick, so for a fortnight I was doing 12 hour shifts with no breaks just grabbing a drink and something to eat on the go.

Fourth thing that happened was being attacked by wasps being allergic didn't really help and only got over this on Thursday before the race.

Last thing that went wrong - my eye infection came back up on Friday luckily I had some ointment left and just smothered my eye with it & hoped for the best.

Raceday- woke up and I felt good hadn't really had time to focus on race or worry about it.

SWIM - Not being a swimmer and couldn't swim at all 15 months ago it was just about getting it done. Positioned myself at the back of Pen 3, had quite an uneventful time got knocked a couple of times - knocked a few as well but job done just over 94 mins.

Tr1 - Full change

BIKE - got myself into a comfortable gear and eased of one gear - mind was on lack of training the last few weeks so again it was just about finishing. Support at Colston and pirate station was great and a moral pick me up. Nutrition wise I left mine at home on Saturday so late Saturday night picked up some breakfast biscuits couldn't swallow them though my mouth was that dry took on gels and high 5 instead. Time around 6.45

TR2 - Full change

Run - had plans to run around 10 minute pace and was going alright until the 8 mile marker then started to suffer so it became a run walk. Having been given race number 999 everyone seemed to be giving me abuse so I just joined in and had a great deal of banter my garmin showed I had stopped for 30 mins. that would be chatting then. Nutrition - I was unable to take on gels I felt really sick from them all. so tried coke, water and crisps nothing really worked felt sick all the way through the run. Time just over 5 hrs.

Had a really memorable and enjoyable day, great to meet up with some of you pirates and apologies to others that I didn't or unable to. A big thanks to the two pirates between the last two feed stations.

Total time 13 hrs 41 mins and a few secs. For my 1st long distance & with the last few weeks I would of taken that beforehand - happy- extremely.
  • Options

Loving the reports and there are some awesome times in there too.  Well done allimage

• Options

I think you finished just a minute after me ????????

• Options

Outlaw report/ experience....I have completed an Ironman Distance race.....now I never thought I was going to say that image

The build up 

Having done a few Olympic Distance events, one slightly short Middle Distance event and taken part at LCW in 2015, Posh T suggested maybe I should participate in a full distance Tri – The Outlaw! I said thanks I shall see the entries open, wait a bit, see them filled up and then not be able to take part…. to my astonishment/dismay the places didn’t sell out in minutes of going online and a couple of months pass by and they still haven’t sold out, then I had a moment of weakness and filled out the online entry form, paid the fee and I am in, then reality hit  – what have I signed up for??image!

Right, check with Posh T what luxury accommodation should I book for the weekend. Don’t worry about that he said, camping its great, loads of Pirates, banter and food and its minutes from the start line. Not the ideal I thought (how wrong was I).

Having been pretty much injury free in 2015, 2016 did not start well. A stumble at Parkrun on a stick gave me a ATFL tear, naturally being a bit stubborn I continued to run on it for weeks after until I got more pain in the ankle and could run no more – I went to get it checked out (as by now I had pulled out of a half marathon and Brighton Marathon). It was then I got the news that I had Sinus Tarsi in my left ankle and needed injections to relieve the pain.  It did but was not back to normal until a month or so before Outlaw and knew it could break down at anytime again. The next event I had booked was Staff Half IM – I had done some good bike training but had limited run training due to the injury.  As I approached Staffordshire I started to feel very unwell. That lasted until 9am the next day so I was unable to race. My first DNS. Nightmare that was really my A race (thinking it was an event I could actually complete) and I didn’t even start which I thought was crucial to practice nutrition for outlaw etc.  

Next big event was LCW – weather atrocious, thought of it being to close to Outlaw and a nightmare start (3k into bike leg a puncture after a rather ambitious start time (spent most of the next 2/3 hrs pretty much on my own).  But it was my last big distance before Outlaw so stick with it and got through. My swim, run and bike were very close to the previous year or worse so hardly inspiring in the lead up to my first IM distance at Outlaw.

Camping / meal What a great experience. We turn up fairly early on the Friday and the campsite is empty. Set up tent and gradually the site fills up with pirate after pirate turning up sharing experiences. We venture off site on Friday night for a nice meal and Kerry (Flat Footed’ s wife) thinks it’s a good idea to see if she could book a table or two for the following night. It quickly snowballs and Kerry has 46 people and the whole room booked and a pirate gathering – great stuff – amazing organisational skills Kerry! Other call outs have to go to Button Mushroom for those bacon sandwiches, absolutely fantastic!

The day Alarm goes off at 4am and I wonder what I am going to do with all this time before the start of the race but what with my usual faffing before I know it I am in the water at 5:55 waiting for the starter’s horn. For the first time my family are in support and cheering me on at a triathlon event, I feel mixed emotions and I can see them from the swim start.

• Options

Swim

I head for the middle of bay 2 and the horn goes off and I am under way, a bit of the usual elbows but not too bad, then the traditional kick in the face but eventually it settles down a bit and the rest of the swim is fairly eventful free – its strange though how at 600m it feels like I have no idea how I am going to get to the end (but I keep reminding myself of the training and plod on). Before I know it I am out of the water in a swim time of 1:13. I am happy with that! Off to T1 and seem to spend an age doing that and as I am running out realise I should have taken bag out – have to run back into tent past everyone running out!

Bike

Wow what a start – flat ride out with the wind behind me and I am flying (well for me anyway I am averaging just under 20 mph for the first 16 miles). Can I keep this going for 112m? Six hours is possible… For someone who plods around at 16/17 mph I was getting concerned I had gone off too quick and slowed a tad. I decide to take a wide berth at the Pirate station at mile 16 without stopping in order to try and stay ahead of Posh T for as long as possible (I knew it was just a matter of time before he flew by which he did shortly after). The appearance of Flat Footed in his WWE style wrestling outfit at pirate station kept me smiling for many miles (not sure I will ever get that image out of my head). After Wales course Outlaw is certainly flat and I had no real drama’s (perfect although the wind picked up though in the last hour or two and that felt tough going just at a time I felt I needed to conserve energy for the run). Bike time completed in 6:27 – I was happy with that.

Run

Before I know it I am out on the run and feel it started well (I felt as fresh as I had ever done off of the bike on any triathlon – yippee). Then at 5 miles my chest felt it was going to cave in or explode (couldn’t work out which)! At that point 21 more miles felt like a very long way and I was in a dark place. I seemed to get through that with combo of run/walk strategy and chest pain was gone after few more miles but by then the walking was becoming a bit too easy to do. There were times I felt absolutely fine running and I would stop for no particular reason and start walking (bizarre never came across that before)! I think the thought that I had done better on the swim and the bike was playing on my mind and as I just did not want to spectacularly blow up. The support around the course was amazing although by now my energy to give strong Arghhhs was beginning to fade. Meeting fellow Pirates on the course kept spirits up and I continued to move forward (just).  I guess the strangest thing is that I managed to do a 4:19 marathon on what I though was for large parts having a stroll – clearly I managed to keep the walks down a bit! I did find that I was quite dehydrated as well and had to take on so much water / coke to keep going – next time must drink more on bike!  Before the event I thought the number of drinks stations was too many, by the end there didn’t seem enough even though they are very frequent. Before I know it I am completing my last lap of the lake having collected my three wrist bands. I thought to myself I have probably enough time to crawl around the lake now if necessary! As I run down the finishing shoot they call out YOU ARE AN OUTLAW –I have done it. Marathon time 4:19. Total time 12:14:58. So sub 12:30 which was my personal target time.

At the end I felt fine but then 5 mins later felt very strange and had to sit down for 10mins or so but then felt absolutely fine again. Off then for a quick shower and head back to the finish line for the final couple of hours.

Hours 15-17

What a Pirate party at the finish! Dancing on

• Options

Hours 15-17

What a Pirate party at the finish! Dancing on the red carpet waiting for competitors to finish and as they come down the shoot they get a guard of honour – how nice is that! Without the Pirates it would have been a very drab / boring ending!

Pirate support on the course and at the campsite  Wow – made to feel very welcome – great bunch of people. If you are new to Pirates though I would suggest practising your Arghhhhs as it’s the fourth disciplines in tri’s and totally wore me out!

Slightly worrying for me is that I did not finish with a ‘never again to ironman distances’ so if your considering it, give it a go but do the training it will pay off on the day! Try and loosely follow a plan like Don Fink’s it must have helped me! Hopefully see you Pirates again soon! Well done to all the Pirates your support, volunteering and performances were incredible.

• Options

Great write up Penfold, and an amazing performance for your first IM distance.... great to meet you.... see you on the start line again soon.... we're just 4 mins apart on finish time.... next time its a fight to the finish! image

• Options
    Nice one Penfold!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭

Pre-race

I was supposed to do the Outlaw in 2015 but got a hernia which stopped me from cycling or swimming any proper distances and – with the benefit of hindsight – I’m glad that I got to compete in this year’s weather rather than last year.  We don’t do camping so stayed in a hotel near the cricket ground, missing any pirate festivities sadly but also missing the various fancy-dress costumes that have polluted our facebook feeds recently.  Swings & roundabouts then.  I did meet a few pirates before the race – the usual thing of normal name followed by forum name but I didn’t hang around too much.  The hotel breakfast at 4am was quite quiet – I think most of us had other things on our minds.

So onto the race.  Everything I’d read about the swim suggested that it would be easy enough & so it was.  Bit of the usual nonsense in the first few mins about finding a way through but it settled down.  The lake felt wide so there were swimmers to the left & right of me all of the time – I didn’t know if there was an optimum line to follow so I just stayed in the middle.  I’m not the best swimmer by any stretch but I have a method which doesn’t seem to tax my energy levels so out of the water in 1.27 (was aiming for 85 mins but swam an extra 200m or so, so my pacing was probably OK) and on to the strippers.  

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭

Full change on to the bike – it was going to be a long day so no need to rush.  Grabbed a couple of bars & flapjacks for the ride like it was any other Sunday & headed out.  Brief chat with AJH on the lake loop then off we went.  Like a few others, my speed at this stage was good (well, good for me).  Averaging around 18.5mph through the 1st pirate aid station (more fancy dress as I’m sure you’ve seen) then carried on.  At the 2nd station, I noticed that I’d punctured (best place to do it though, eh?) so did the necessary change over.  Stupidly my spare tubes were too short & I’d forgotten my valve extender.  Luckily the aid station gave me a spare (expecting a bill from the organisers which I’m happy to pay) which was fine.  A couple of pirates stopped with me – sorry didn’t get your names – and the sight of one of them having a ciggie seemed to shock the aid station volunteers!

So, 10 minutes lost there & didn’t really get back to that average speed.  Now, I like cycling.  But the cycling I like usually involves climbing hills & enjoying the views.  Flat & TT cycling is not my thing.  I don’t enjoy it and I’m not very good at it.  You could ask why I decided to do a fairly flat long-distance tri but I’m not sure that I can fully answer that.  Anyway, the bike went on and on, with my sense of humour disappearing somewhere & my average speed dropping all of the time.  The crowds at Car Colston were helping (how good were they, by the way?) as were the aid station people.  Other than that, most of the cyclists were adopting a grupetto mentality and chatting to each other just to make the miles pass more quickly.  Bike leg was 6.55 in total – rubbish and nowhere near what I’d hoped for.  Overall, I fairly hated that bike course towards the end.  Way too many cars, often dodgy road surface, energy-sapping wind in the 2nd half and that private road that we came in on was just terrible.

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭

T2, full change again – one dude seemed to be putting on deodorant – and onto the run.  Now, I like running & in the grand scheme of things, I’m OK at it.  Started off at a decent pace (just sub-4) for the 1st 10k or so & felt fine.  Walked through the aid stations, high-fived the little yellow rays of sunshine as they passed (or the PSOF as they’re also known) and chatted to other runners.  All going fine.  I started to walk a bit more towards halfway & felt that my energy levels were dropping so walked just when I couldn’t be bothered to run.  My initial aim was sub-12.45 which was my only previous race at Vichy in 2013.  That wasn’t going to happen after the bike leg but thought that I might get sub-13.  As the run went on, that target went so I just jogged it out to the end, passing the various pirates & other “Aaarghh” aficionados along the course.  Finished the run in 4.35 & grand total of 13.19.

So, happy to have finished but that’s me done for IM-distance tris for a long time.  Maybe in 3 years or so I’ll find another one with a hillier bike leg (and I’ll be looking soon-ish) but no to the TT-bike stuff and if anyone wants to buy my bike then let me know!   

I have a couple of grumbles – some shameless drafting towards the front of the race and the post-race stuff (lack of signage – I missed out on any post-race food & refreshments, making competitors walk up & down a hill to collect bikes & bags, supporters getting in the way) was just a shambles.  However, many thanks to all of the supporters and sherpas who cheered us on all day long and to the residents of Nottingham for their hospitality. 

• Options
    Gavo wrote (see)

I have a couple of grumbles – some shameless drafting towards the front of the race and the post-race stuff (lack of signage – I missed out on any post-race food & refreshments, making competitors walk up & down a hill to collect bikes & bags, supporters getting in the way) was just a shambles.   

This was my first tri at this distance so I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought that the organisation was extremely slick. No complaints whatsoever.  When I crossed the finish line a medal was placed over my head, a nice lady removed my chip and bands and directed me to collect the t-shirt.  I asked there where I should go to collect my bags, but was told the best thing was to go and grab some hot food upstairs, chill out and then collect bags and bike as it was on the way out.  Couldn't have asked for more.  Maybe you were just unlucky Gavo.  No supporters got in my way, just a few members of the public strolling around on the path at the far end of the towpath/at the park.  Can't blame them for enjoying the evening sunshine really.  I was sad to see how much rubbish the public left by the benches up by the river there though - nothing to do with supporters or competitors, I shouldn't think - way too much rubbish. I loved the event and think I am going to do it again next year, to see if I can beat my time.  I know what you mean about the wind on that 3rd loop of the bike though!!

• Options

I'd agree with RTN here. Either you were unlucky with the timing when you went through, or you've been extremely lucky with other events to consider that one a shambles. Not much can be done about the location of the hospitality tent, and the addition of the ramp went down well with people who've done it before.

Have to say that the guy keeping transition secure was keen, he wasn't happy with just seeing my wristband, he also asked who the other members of my team were which he then checked on his tablet before letting me out with my bike.

• Options

Massive well done to all and great race reports. Special mention to Red Stripe for toughing it out and Penfold for finishing his first.

Race report:

So after having my normal injury dramas in the lead up to the race I came into Outlaw really not knowing what to expect. I hadn’t ran any further than 7 miles since May with the last time being Ironman Lanzarote. A persistent calf injury and a more worrying hamstring strain (aggravated by doing the running man when pissed at IM Lanza!) had prevented me from running. As a result the plan was simple, do what I could on the swim, go hard on the bike and then survive as long as possible on the run before the inevitable hamstring went pop. I had also had a pretty disastrous swim at Long Course Weekend which was my last open water swim before the race. My swim mind demons had returned and I couldn’t even finish the two laps and stopped after one. I later realised the reason was a sickness bug. Anyway, fast forward to race day…..

The swim – Bizarrely the nerves I always seem to have before the swim were nowhere to be seen and I felt quite relaxed. Knowing I always swim better in clear water and not interested in getting involved in any fisticuffs, I positioned myself at the front of pen 3 and intended to swim as straight as I could for as long as possible. The hooter sounded and off I went. I settled into a rhythm and off I went. The Outlaw swim is dull! I found it difficult to remember what it was I was supposed to be doing at times as my mind wondered to the celebratory mars bar I would treat myself to at the finish line. Soon enough I got a whack on the head by a canoeist telling me to move over. Probably best I listen so I moved over and rounded the two end buoys before heading back. I had a period of about 50 metres where I was probably the quickest swimmer in the lake where I kicked and swam like a mad man trying to get passed a bloke doing his very best zig zagging. I then suffered for the next 200 metres! Lesson learnt. All in all, a pretty comfortable swim with no real dramas. I exited the water in 1:22:57. I was delighted as it almost matched last years’ time to the second and that was my PB.

• Options

T1, what a difference a year makes! Last year it took me about 5 minutes to get some feeling back into my fingers and toes before I could contemplate a transition. This year, no such problems. I didn’t rush, nor did I slouch.  The strippers and slappers played their part brilliantly. T1 in 4:25.

The bike – This was going to be the first time I had used my TT bike in a race. I had used it in training but was a little concerned over the distances as I had only ridden up to 80 miles so I was going into the unknown. I had also managed to fall off of it waving to Button Mushroom outside a well-known Essex tea stop, so it’s fair to say I wasn’t entirely confident of my handling. I got on the bike and managed to lose my 6 shot blocks, co-codimol and ibroprofen within the first minute on the uneven surface around the lake. Not a good start. Once we hit the main road the legs started spinning and I begin to overtake people and make up for the losses in the swim. I was averaging something like 22 miles an hour with a heart rate that was much lower than normal and feeling good. My plan was to push as hard as I could keeping the BPM below 165. This worked a dream for me and I think the only two spikes were the short effort up Oxton Bank where I had caught up to Rafi who decided he wanted to try and race me for a KOM challenge and when I saw El Pirato Nacho Libre at the awesome Pirate feed station. (I knew FF had planned something for a while but I must admit I slightly relieved the jock strap stayed away!) I stuck to my refuelling strategy and it all seemed to be going well despite a leak in my new aero water bottle resulting in sticky legs. I also managed to exchange pleasantries with Penfold, Scuba and a couple of other Pirates as I passed them on the course. My speed dropped on the last third of the bike due to a slight increase in wind and fatigue but overall I felt pretty strong throughout. Don’t get me wrong though, I was willing for it to be over and absolutely delighted to reach the end of the bike course still in one piece. I had been aiming for a sub 6 hour bike time but when I stopped the garmin with it displaying 5:25 I almost pissed my pants in delight.

T2, back into T2 and I heard an almighty chorus of arrrrrrrrrrrs from the Pirate massive. It gave me a massive lift and when I exited T2 to start the run course I saw the sea of yellow and black waiting at the relay change over point giving me all the encouragement I needed! T2 in 3:42.

• Options

The run – I started the run and made an assessment of how everything was feeling. To my surprise, other than a bit of lower back and shoulder pain everything else seemed to be fine. The first lap around the lake was superb. I was receiving so much support from all the supporters, not just the Pirates amongst them. I had saved a high caffeine energy gel for the run to give me that added lift and had been looking forward to it for the last 10 miles of the bike. Simple things! I needn’t had bothered because when I poured the gel into my mouth I was almost sick from the ropey cement like texture. Needless to say, it was soon spat out into the nearest bin. Adrenaline got me through the first lap of the run and passed the grandstand where the support was growing. I passed the relay pirates again to hear FF pass on his words of wisdom. I recall something like ‘get a fooking move on then’. It wasn’t until about 4 miles in when I glance up at the scoreboard to see the time of day. A quick bit of maths in my head meant that as long as I could run a 4 hour marathon I would be going under 11 hours. That would be a massive PB and at the start of the day my A time. However, shortly after seeing this and hitting the toe path the legs began to remind me that Ironman distance races a stupid idea. I tried to feed off the banter of the crowd and grinned my way through. As I crossed the bridge for the first time a rather enthusiastic young volunteer told me I was second Pirate. Up until this point I wasn’t sure how many Pirates were ahead of me on course as I was mainly concentrating on my own race but for a moment I dared to dream. I then on 7.5 miles looked up to cross paths with Cheggers on the return loop. He was looking strong and we exchanged some words of encouragement. Realising that he was about 3 miles ahead of me at this point I said to myself there was no point in pushing myself into the red to try and catch him when if I could just keep going I would have a PB and sub 11 finish. So I ignored the fact I was second Pirate and just settled in to the long hard slog trying to roughly keep around 7:45 minute miles. Some were quicker, some were slower but roughly I was on target. When I came back into the watersport centre I began to hit a wall and felt myself slowing. It was at this point I passed a guy walking with a marshal on a bike ridding in front of him. His name was Kit. I looked to see that it was the first placed male and he was going through a bad patch. At this section of the lake there wasn’t many supporters so I shouted some words of encouragement at him and told him to just run on my shoulder. I was expecting a strongly worded four letter reply but to my surprise he listened, got himself running again and ran on my shoulder. He didn’t say a word but we ran almost an entire loop (5k) of the lake (passed the grandstand and relay pirates) together.  I thought to myself, what other sport in the world could you run side by side with the eventual winner. When I broke off for my second loop he thanked me and continued on to finish his last lap. The truth is if I hadn’t had picked him up when I did I would have walked and it massively helped take my mind of the pain. On the second loop I crossed the bridge and realised I had gained on Cheggers. He was still about a mile ahead of me. I again decided it would be silly in trying to catch him so continued to run the rest of the loop doing what I could. When I returned to the lake I noticed Cheggers was walking and now only about 400 metres away. I didn’t have anything left to increase the pace so just kept going at my pace. To my surprise he was getting closer. I eventually caught Cheggers after passing the grandstand. I was spent and thought to myself that he puts a spurt on it will break me and I will have to walk it in.

• Options

He mentioned in his race report that I offered to run with him and cross the line together. I don’t think he realised quite how bad I was feeling at this point and the real reason I did this was because I had nothing left to race him and thought any injection of pace would have caused me to blow up. But he was good enough to tell me to go on and take the 1st place as I deserved it. Thanks mate. I rounded the lake for the last time and entered the finishing straight to awesome support from everyone and especially the good old yellow and black! Trying to milk the finish I decided a little bow was in order before shuffling over the line. Now my legs had survived the whole day when I expected them not to, however, the minute I walked 2 metres passed the line I was struck with the worst cramp I have ever had and almost killed over!! After stretching out the pain eased and I waited for Cheggers to finish.  Marathon time 3:27:38.

Total time 10:24:19, a PB by 1 hour and 3 minutes. I never expected or thought it was possible for me to do a time like that, especially with my injury effected season. Absolutely delighted and well chuffed.

And lastly thank you to the pirate massive for all your support, banter and help. Special mentions to Persil for sorting dinner, Button Mushroom for breakie, Schmunks+ Barlos for organising the feed station – blatantly the best one! Penfold for driving. Flat footed the question ‘guru’ and the Diggers for the free booze!image  

• Options

Amazing achievement PT..... I stand in awe of your running in particular... but you killed the whole race, and as a consequence massively deserve the PB.... I'm particularly pleased that you made the sub 3:30 marathon leg that you confessed was a dream you held in Lanza...

I'll just remind you though that you are officially a shit swimmer, as I beat you out of the water.... image