NO Energy

Hi Wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can at least advise on how I should go about , I took part in the London Marathon 2015 and right from the start had problems , I fueled correctly , and my training properly , but found I had no energy, and tired all the time. I had some blood tests for another problem and they found my Liver blood enzymes are raised , had 3 now and same problem . had a scan and liver looks okay , I have been eating carbs etc to try and keep my energy levels up.would like to get back to running as i have a few races in couple of months , if anyone has had this problem or could give some advise would be grateful , this is really getting me down. I did manage to Climb up and down Snowdon at the weekend , and although pleased , I did notice that I was getting sore legs and they felt dead

Sorry if this has gone on a bit , it is just getting me down

Thanks Razkatz

Comments

• I'm wondering if you work many hours or have problems with sleep?

• Well if you can get up and down Snowdon - you clearly have energy.

Did you finish London ? In what time ? Did you set off too fast ?

What halfs have you run and what time ?

If you can climb snowdon - you can parkrun etc...
  • Yes I have sleep problems and work 40 hours a week, the sleep thing has been going on for years not getting more than 5 hours , but did not seem to interfere with my previous marathons etc, Snowdon was the first thing I have done since the Marathon (apart from some Kettlebell training at home), It was my husbands idea to do Snowdon and on the way up I was calling him every name under my breath, It was a struggle . I have done a half in 2 hours before this year , and did Brighton in 5.39 , London took me 6.50 ,no did not start fast worked out it would be better sto start slow then go faster and the end ,so I am pleased I managed to Finish it but am gutted about the Time , I had been training for it since last year and and everything seemed to be going well until I did a half in March , it took me 2.50 I thought it was just a blip . but then things started going down hill . felt good on the morning of the marathon , but as soon as I started running new there was a problem , but I am a stubborn so and so , and was not going to pull out once I started.

• Oh OK that is odd. A 2 hour half to a 6.50 full..... Well done on finishing though - your medals no different to any one elses.

Hopefully you are on the mend with Snowdon then ? Hope the docs find a reason.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What sort of carbs? there's some that will lower your energy levels depending on when you eat them.

🙂

• plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭

Iron.

I prescribe black pudding or a fortnightly dose of liver and onions.

Seriously, I have times that I flag/feel listless, and I find spending a week eating iron rich foods sorts things out.

• Hello Razkatz, this is more of a question than an answer, hopefully my story will spark ideas in people's heads & who knows??

54 y.o. Man running since mid 20's, fun runner but quite often very applied. About 6yrs ago form dipped dramatically, very frustrating, people say you're getting old, G.P. says expecting too much, but problem is worse than that. Some false dawns came & went, then on sun holiday may '13 running was good, scintillating training & racing til Oct. 13. Back to square 1, occasional good session/race.                                                       

My diet has always been good, not averse to a beer/pizza/chocolate. Have dwelt long about what happened in Spain '13! We had lemons & limes steeping in our drinking water, kept it up since but! Have tried other dietary things from that hol. but not sure! Am always trying various palliatives, crushed seeds on cereal, cayenne pepper drink, etc. 

Timeline matches with invasive surgery (hernia), don't know if that has any bearing, doc tested me for hemachromatosis, negative. I'm still in the dark.

Like others, the feeling of running free would be great to get back. If any of this strikes any chords, hopefully answers will come, please re-post if ther are any improvements for you. Other respondents please remember this is Razkatz' thread, not mine. Regards, M.T.

• Razkatz & MT - hello - did you ever get to the bottom of this... Sounds like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Well after finally seeing the hospital they thinks I have PBC(Primary Billery Chirrosis) and now waiting for a Liver Biopsy , well the only good thing is at least I know why I had no energy during the Marathon, I am trying to stay possetive , no running at the moment as my energy is buggered , lucky if i can walk 5 miles at the moment. hoping once they get to the bottom of the problem and the correct meds are given , I can start again

• Reads & sounds like something you def. do not want. Good luck with the treatment Raz. Keep positive.

• Well after going to hospital on 1st December the Final diognosis I have Autoimmune Hepititis , which to the Layman is my immune system thinks my own body is foreign ,

i have  decided to start of slowly this weekend and start running again (depressed not being able to run.)

if anyone on here has the same problem and can give advise on how to fuel without me ending up looking like Mr Blobby I would be grateful. they have decided to hold of on the Biopsy due to risks and no meds as yet ,they are just going to do regular checks to make sure it is not getting worse.