Increaing general pace

Hi All,

I have recently started running again after 6 years of not.

Whilst at uni I started to get into running a little and did a half in 1:47 followed by a 10k in 50 mins.....I was running outside of events too and at the gym....Its the same old sad story that I graduated and threw everything towards work.

6 years later and I am 4 stone heavier but have just recently decided to start up again and I am well and truly hooked....I have started looking for events and have started going to Parkrun which is fantastic. I have also put enquiries into local running clubs to train more seriously.

I have probably been training for 6 weeks now and have been running 3-4 times a week, usually between 2-5 miles. My mile pace has reduced down from about 10.5 mins to 9.5 mins. DOes anyone have any simple techniques on how to increase pace?

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    There is a beginners section with just about every piece of info you will ever need.

All I will add is- enjoy!
  • Mark,

Sounds great. But honestly honestly honestly, it took you 6 years to get out of shape. I really recommend you don't try and regain it all too quickly.

3-4 times a week for 2-5 miles is more than enough... and if you're going for 9.5 minute miles then I honestly think you're doing a little bit too much... given your previous half and 10K times and now increased weight.

On returning to exercise, your heart and lungs will recover quickly... indeed it seems they've already come a long way, but you're imposing repeated stresses with every step on your bones, tendons etc. and it takes many months for these to adapt to the regular new stresses you're imposing  (and without putting too fine a point on it, the stresses are a lot bigger now than they were 6 years ago!).

When you train, the body gets stressed, then adapts to the stress.  In order to adapt, you need some rest... and most programmes have a 'recovery' week every 4 or 5 weeks, so the first thing I'd say is that you're probably due to have a slack week to allow the body to mend itself from the great work (but inevitable microdamage) you've been doing.  

It is just SO easy to get over enthusiastic and end up with injuries that set you back. I suggest that you plan to take it relatively steady for 4-6 months... not focussing on speed.  The time to build that is when you've built a firmer base.   OK, have a blast at the park run maybe once a fortnight, for the fun of it and to keep you motivated, but 6 months will soon pass, and IMO, that's the time to really start to address any thoughts of getting quicker.   In the meantime, I presume that your return to a focus on fitness means you'll be looking at that extra 4 stone of baggage and doing something about that!!.   It really makes a big difference to pace... simply because you don't have to haul that weight round with you.  I could do with losing a bit myself.   Good luck with it.

• I myself put 3 stone in weight on over many years, but 4 stone in 6 years is good going.

The good thing is you have recognised it and want to do something about it. So first off very well done.

As Northender says you need to get your muscles and tendons and ligaments into the zone first of all. This indeed could take 6 months of regular running. Build up SLOWLY, not just in speed but in weekly mileage as well. 

You may feel good now but the damage builds and builds over a period of time, could be 2 months, could be 5 months you will probably get injured by doing the damage. This needs repairing rather than having 3 weeks out injured and another 3 getting back to running too soon. So every third or fourth week drop the mileage down and then slowly step it back up again.

Maybe try one slightly longer but slower run each week, of say 5-7 miles, but Jog it slowly (11 minute miles perhaps), this will build up stamina and then have 2-3 other runs of shorter distances at the quicker speeds. 

In short don't rush, enjoy the weight loss, enjoy the journey, guaranteed it wont take you 6 years to get back in shape.

Well done.

• Thanks SSLHP.

I'm feeling particularly benevolent towards STFC supporters at the moment image

• Great advice. My experiance is that your pace will naturally increase as you mileage increases. Don't force it at this stage.

One of the great things about starting running is that you make significant progress early on. Your times come tumbling down, and your distances steadily increase. You will look back fondly on these gains. My tip would be to keep a record of your times/distances, if you are not already. I find it great motivation to look back at the (embarrasing!) times I used to run and think "I never want to go back to that".

• Thanks for all the advice. I think I just need to take it slowly and increase distance and not push it.

Incidentally northender, I guarantee it's a different stfc, not your professional Shrewsbury or Swindon but the mighty slough town image
  • Altrincham FC here. Non league football is the best.

• I know an alty fan. Been to a few of your games too.

Other than obviously reeves I love Mr Clee down the left
  • Clee is great and so is our keeper Coburn. Sorry i dont know any Slough players hehehe.

• Just wanted to come back on and say thanks for all advice. Have myself 3 days rest and then went for a couple of runs where I increased distance by 2/3 miles but at a much easier pace.

Then at parkrun yesterday I shaved 42 seconds off the previous week and broke the 30 minute barrier image
  • Cut, rather than shaved !

• Randomly come back to this post after almost 2 years.....

I have now lost 2 of the 4 stone I had put on.....I have various Parkruns and other 5k's under my belt, have completed 2 half marathons and I am near coming up to my two year anniversary as a Datchet Dasher :smile:

Great advice on here when I was starting out again.....thanks again guys