Racing with handheld - dilemma

Currently tapering for my first marathon - Farnham Pilgrim in just under two weeks (so not Spring but wasn't sure where else to put this - apologies!). I have everything sorted except for one decision - whether or not to run with my own handheld bottle.

I've done all of my long runs (16 miles) with a 580ml handheld full of homemade sports drink (strong orange squash, 1tbsp brown sugar, 1 large tsp salt) and two gels. This has always done the job extremely well, drinking very little and often. The bottle doesn't bother me hugely, but I'd certainly prefer not to run with it.

The race has 19 water/food stations, so I could just take electrolyte tabs/salt sachets and an extra gel (loops on my shorts so no problem to carry), and rely on the water provided to avoid having to carry my bottle. However, I'm not sure how this would affect my hydration/nutrition and I really don't want to run out of salt.

Naturally I am disinclined to try to anything new for race day, but if I can get away with it I would prefer to ditch the bottle. I suspect it's not worth the risk, but I wondered if I'm just overthinking this? Bearing in mind that the vast majority of people clearly rely on aid stations rather than carrying their own water?

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• I think 3 gels is on the light side for a marathon. I take 5 or 6 gels nornally for a marathon.

Is salt really going to be a problem in Farnham ? I sweat like a pig and never need salt tablets in britain.

With 19 water stations I'd be tempted to rely on their stocks. Carrying anything becomes a faff after a while.

Running up to 16 miles is fine - but you have an extra 10 miles to go. So you will need more gels than you've practiced with and more fluid too.
  • Thanks! My original post didn't show the crucial 'greater than' symbol before 16 for some reason - I only use that over 16 miles. I don't carry water under 13 miles and do 20 miles on the squash with sugar and salt, plus SIS gels.

I've always had salt in my training and have got cramp and fatigue in long trail races before. 

Much appreciated cougie - think I will ditch the bottle on the basis that the aid stations are obviously good enough for everyone else! They reputedly have loads of food at the aid stations so I think I'll take 4 gels and some salt sachets. Haven't tried but I'm not sure that my guts would respond well to 5 or 6 gels! I can handle bananas and I gather they have them at aid stations - I'd think 2 of those plus 3-4 gels should see me through.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

580mls.

I wouldn't bother. Just drink the whole lot two minutes before the start. 

I should point out that the stomach isn't actually the same as a cars fuel tank. We store the required energy in our muscles and liver, so it isn't necessary to eat during the race.

Having said that, if you run far enough you're going to get a bit hungry, but I wouldn't be scared of it, it's natural. Believe it not, not getting regular feeds in a marathon doesn't mean you'll starve to death.

🙂

• I would just do what works in practice........if you want to go with water, gels and the electrloyte tabs then try them out in the long runs to see if it works..

bit late to work out your strategy when you are already tapering

• This is purely theoretical, but I agree with Ric about the food you eat during a race not getting into your engine. The body works a bit like a good bank account. It will let you spend energy based on what it knows is being paid in, even though it will not have cleared before the race is over.
  • You agree that its a good idea to drink a pint 2 mins before the race starts,.....I think most people would struggle to run with all that sloshing around in the system.....and a hit in one go might well produce the need to go to the toilet in one form or another....

• I agree with Seren  -  definitely don't  drink the whole lot before the start.

You want little and often - whether that's by carrying your own bottle or taking advantage of the water stations.

• That's not what I said Seren. But you know that anyway.
  • Strategy is worked out based on long runs - that's not the question. It's how to put it into practice. Wisdom appreciated VDOT, thank you.

I'm not sure how we got onto any suggestion of downing a pint of fluid immediately before the race being a good idea!

• you put it into practice during the long runs otherwise you have no idea if the strategy will work...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Basically a pint is nothing. There's guys who down a yard of ale (3.25 pints) and there's hardly a ripple.

If you don't want to spend the race wanting a piss, yet be fully hydrated, what you do is drink masses until 2 hours before the start. Then stop. Don't drink anything else at all.

All the excess fluid will go through your kidneys until you're in balance. Then, less than 10 minutes before the start, drink a pint. It won't end up in your bladder, running will divert the process.

My record is 1.25 litres in about 3 minutes. 73 minute hm pb in 26 celcius.

🙂

• Ah, edit to previous: for some reason RicF's reply didn't show. Further replies make sense now. Interesting stuff.

seren: I have, and it's worked, as I described. I know it works by accessing fluid using said handheld - unfortunately I can't organise aid stations on my long runs and I put up with the inconvenience of running with a bottle in my hand. The question is whether or not dispensing with the annoying bottle and just accessing the fluid and nutrients from aid stations is risky. I.e., as mentioned, how to put the strategy into practice. Option a or option b, if you will. Now we're definitely into over-thinking territory.

EDIT: seren: Having read both your replies I see the confusion. Forget my comments about salt sachets etc. I am resolved: I am definitely over-thinking this. I will take on salt, sugar, and water and not be overly concerned about its source. Thanks all!

• Good luck with the race. Come back and let us know what strategy you apply and how it works out.
  • Thanks very much! Certainly will do.

• sounds like normal taper madness..... less running and more time to overthink the day.

Have a good race.i hope it works out