Options

Carrying a GOPRO in a marathon

RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm lucky enough to be running the marathon du Medoc on Saturday and plan to capture the madness with my GoPro.

I've never ran with it and am planning to use a wrist strap in preference to a chest or head strap as I feel it'll be easier to point where I want. I don't intend leaving it running but rather be selective about what I film or photo. 

Does anybody have any advice ? I'm concerned that it'll be about 27 to 30C and I'll be in fancy dress, so felt the chest strap may be too restrictive. I'm also self conscious about wearing a headstrap (which is strange considering I'm planning to run wearing a purple Austin Powers jacket) :- . 

I have each of these straps and am hoping to get out to try them this week.

Comments

• Options

I use a small extendable 'selfie stick' that the GoPro mounts on top. It's lighter than you think and fairly easy to carry when not extended. I found that it gives more options for filming - you can hold and film behind you as you run, get low & high angles, hold up at the start for large group shots, film yourself with others as you run, and gives more steadier shots.

I haven't tried a chest mount and I found the head mount too much of a pain as you limit the view as you run, you cannot get yourself into shots as easily, and you can end up cutting people out of shots if the camera slightly tilts and you haven't realised.

Go try them out and see what works best for you. Also worth checking out http://filmmyrun.com/ to get some ideas on what works from a filming perspective (site nothing to do with me).

• Options

Thanks danyul. I might give that a go as I have a selfie stick for it that I could carry in my Austin Powers gear. I've just made up a wrist strap out of paracord so I could go minimalist if I want and just carry it. I figured the strap was a good idea to stop me loosing it at one of the dozens of wine stops. image