GNR fatality

Another sad event, this time at GNR - no other details yet.    Not much you can add other than RIP and prayers to the family and friends involved. image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-34239200

Comments

• I wonder how many people died watching it? That must be just as risky as running?

The family will obviously be devastated but at least their loved one was doing what they enjoyed and not stuck at a soul destroying desk when it happened. Rest in peace.
  • Very sad - it was pretty warm for time of year (18-20 degrees) after a pretty cool summer but without any details this might not have had anything to do with it.

I only mention the temperature because 2005, when 4 people died, it was very warm too.

For most of the slower runners they are running the second half in the hottest part of the day and a lot of them are pushing themselves to their physical limits, many without any training which may have exposed health problems.

There are lots of other half marathons and marathons in the summer but they do not attract the same volume of 'fun' runners.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    there was a heart attack at the last Regent's Park 10k. I believe that person went straight to intensive care
  • Apparently a runner had a heart attack and died during this years crouch end 10k and died by it didn't make the news. That race only had about 1000 runners so no media coverage at all.
  • 57, 000 folks took part- the risk of 1 in 57,000 people dying is not that low, on any random day. Sad, but to be honest, these things happen. Your chance of being succesfully resuscitated is probably better at a well- organised running event, than in any other out- of hospital situation.

• Considering how many people I saw unconscious on the way round i'm surprised its not more, that is testament to the standard of medical care which was given. It was my first half marathon that I have ever done, I ran without any training but just tried to pace myself. I think the problem is people see others go past them fast and feel a need to keep up with them with no knowledge of that persons running ability.

• I was very sad to hear this.  puts all the problems getting to the start because issues with the metros into perspective.

I personally saw 5 people, in various states of consciousness, being attended to by paramedics on the course;  one of whom was completely out and was being given oxygen.  he was only about 200m from the finish too. 

at least 2 of these people looked pretty fit and had club vests on so I don't think it was only unfit people who were suffering.

• An ambulance came through when I was around the 11 1/2 mile mark and a bit further on there was a guy out cold surrounded by paramedics. Not sure if it was that guy who died but it didn't look good. I feel so desperate for his loved ones who would have been at the finish line.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

From the Regents park 10k race director:

It is very very sad that I have to report that Adam, the runner who collapsed, passed away yesterday as a result of an aneurysm on the brain. On behalf of my team, myself and all the runners in the event we send our heartfelt condolences to the family, our thoughts are with them.

RIP

• Very sad to hear this and my thoughts are with the family.

My brother collapsed two years ago with two miles left. It was cold, wet and he suffered dizziness. Paramedics were excellent responding. I would say whatever happen, the best attention would have been given to the person who died. Sadly it does happen but its rare and it could happen anywhere, anytime.

I done the Great North for 22 years and this was a warm one. Considering the day before was cool. On a course with long and hilly roads, its a challenge. On a warm day it makes it a little harder. There were a few finding it hard towards the end and at the finish a few were lying knackered.

• From the GNR page...

The runner who died participating in the Great North Run on Sunday has been named as David Colley, from Hull.

David, who was 58 and had taken part in numerous Great North Runs over the last ten years, collapsed in the last mile of the run and was attended to immediately by the medical services. A post mortem has been concluded and it ascertained that he died of natural causes.

A member of the family said, “David was a regular runner who loved taking part in the Great North Run and always looked forward to the event. We are absolutely devastated.”

His family have asked the organisers to pass on their gratitude for the many messages of sympathy and support. They have also requested privacy at this very difficult time as they try to come to terms with their loss.

RIP fellow runner, condolences to your family