Cross Country Skiing

13»

Comments

• Rich,
    Don't know if its worth it or what youa re looking for.. but someone here at wuk is selling a 'gravity walker' thingy, non impact exerciser... for £50.. made by 'infiniti' I think...

looks 'a bit' like XC skiing action on the box...!!

Let me know if yer interested...
  • MMmmmm, thanks for that but having considered FB's idea of a Nordic Track trainer I decided that I definitely don't want to do any more training in my living room. Its bad enough doing turbo sessions.

No, I think i'll persevere with the machines at the gym just to work the correct muscle groups and then try and get out to the snow a few times between now and May. Might also look into the roller option, although I've always laughed when i've seen people 'skiing' round Richmond Park.

Hoover, not sure yet exactly where we're going to be and I doubt they'll tell us too much anyway. They keep details of what we are going to be doing pretty vague in advance. If I find anything out i'll let you know.

In the meantime, i've been practising my sleep deprivation. Got in at 3am last night and up for work this morning. Didn't have the mental strength to do a run first though, too much of a woolly head.
  • Have you looked at Telemark?

In 1943, four men parachuted onto a Norwegian glacier (Hardanger), equipped with only the most basic equipment. Their mission was to prevent the Nazi regime from building an atomic bomb. Wilderness expert Ray Mears tells the true story of this gruelling campaign, showing how these men's ability to survive in extreme conditions influenced the outcome of World War II. The Telemark campaign was an example of the bravery and skill of the SOE trainees. The Norwegians transformed a military disaster into triumph. This title tells the full story.
  • Was that with a bit of alcohol tollerance training thrown in as well?
  • yeh - roller skis - many of the top XC skiers use these for summer training so maybe a way forward

I go with Rich - rather than go balls out looking at alternatives, stick to the gym and get yourself out into the Alps for some training
  • Alcohol threshold training, yes Count. There's an article on it in next month's Runners' World.

Gumpster, I only saw a tiny bit of that Ray Mears Telemark series when it was on telly. Looked excellent. Tried to see if it had been released as a VHS/DVD, but doesn't seem to have been. Will definitely get the book though.
  • hee...
    Fully understand Richard... 'more' turbo-ing...

the devils wuk!