Monsterman 3

2»

Comments

• Hairylegs challenge in Goring on Thames is on 16May... 5k run, 20k cycle, 5 k run.

Run takes in a bl00dy big hill and then back down through some nice woodland. The cycle is much more linear and scenic than last saturday - one loop with a long climb up onto the ridgeway which you follow for a while before a quite exciting descent (very narrow rocky path - makes overtaking quite interesting!). As usual, second run is repeat of the first.

Haven't seen any official advertising for this one yet, but the mountain bike shop which sponsors it (www.mountainhigh.co.uk) say it's definitely on.

There are some races up in Gloucestershire which are quite similar (TOMAC), but this year they directly clashed with MM2 & MM3.

That's about as much as I know... I'd love to find more of these myself, so if you hear of any, please post on here.
  • sounds interesting. Thanks. Do I have to have hairy legs to take part?????
  • You're trying to draw me into another chauvenistic remark!

In a nutshell - no.

It's a really good event. Last year the weather was beautiful, they had bouncy castles/face painting for the kids, lot's of tea and cake for the massed supporters, etc.

Some good pubs in that neck of the woods also, for that well earned post-race pint!
  • have written it in the diary and will check the website later.

Wasn't really trying to draw you into being chauvenistic! Just had a picture in my mind of us being felt up to make sure our legs were hairy before being allowed to start!
  • Play up, then Phoenix, what other events do you do? Are you local to the Monsterman sites?

I'm up near Guildford, and tend to draw the line at around an hours travel to events. So in the immediate future I'm mostly running, with the Meon Valley Plod, Brighton Half Marathon, and Bramley 20 on consecutive weekends.

Would love to do more racing on the bike though, so if you can point me towards any of that, much appreciated.
  • Wow, good performances both of you.... peed off that I couldn't make it but I definitely wouldn't have set a half-marathon PB on Sunday if I had!

Rocks, is that a definite date for Hairy Legs? If so it clashes with not one, but TWO other events I wanted to do - but it might have to take priority. Damn, I hate it when races clash ;-(
  • SW - That's the date published on the mountain high web-site, so I'm banking on it.

What does it clash with that you're up for?
  • Woodley 10K - one of my faves - and Eton Supersprint Tri, which I was thinking about.

But - I think Hairy Legs is still my first choice :)
  • hi rocks, sorry for the delay in replying - I had work to do :-(

I will be doing the Meon Valley Plod too! I think I'm number 270. I'll be in a New Forest Runners vest (white with green band). I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather is OK, though. What number are you? I'll look out for you - although I know that's not as easy as it sounds in the crowds at the start.

I'm not local to the Monster Man. It took my ancient Landrover 1 and a half hours to get there at a steady 50mph!!

I've got the club cross country championships (sounds grander than it is!) coming up after the Meon Valley, then the Terminator 10 in Pewsey.

If you're interested in bike racing go to www.gorrick.com. They hold mountainbike races in the Camberley/Crowthorne area, which should be well within your reach. The next one is 14 March and I will be there (Landrover permitting!!)
  • Server problems at work - so haven't been able to get on here for a week (suffering from forum withdrawl!)

I've heard of Gorrick... can't do 14th March (booked up for Bath 1/2 Mara), but will look out for other events.

I see Monsterman are going to run a 4 race series next year, which should be good. I ran the Pewsey race in 2001 (the year of Foot and Mouth), so the route was much easier than it is now!

How did you get on at Meon Valley? I was chuffed to bits to get round in just under 2:39... faster than I had anticipated. Nonetheless, I think the winners were done and dusted in about 2:15, so that shows the difference between keen amateurs, and serious competitors. Never mind, the scenery was stunning, and had some pleasant chats with fellow runners on the way round.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    is there a website for the monstermunch?
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • You could chat in the Meon Valley race at that pace, rocks!!!!???

I finished in 3:14 and thought that was OK for me. I enjoyed it and yes, the scenery was nice. I had more time to study it than you did though!!!

I was impressed with all that free tea and soup afterwards.
  • Well, ok, "chat" is a slight exaggeration... more like a few gasped exchanges, usually whilst walking up those bl00dy hills!

Couldn't really hang around for the refreshments afterwards, as I'd promised mrs rocks and the kiddies a pub lunch as a reward for putting up with my absence, and then there was the rugby to watch.
  • I went with a car full of club mates and we'd planned to retire to the pub afterwards..... But it had been pulled down!!! So we had to make do with the soup! Not quite the same..