Boston Marathon 2016

Comments

• I just took worldwide insurance (holidaying for 2 weeks afterwards). I know what you mean I did question that whole thing...and if you do yourself a nasty requiring medical care I'm guessing you have to book extra cover as even U.S. nationals have to pay for either insurance or on the spot care obviously. Well reminded!

I won't book anything until better advice cometh, or I take the time to split the hairs in my insurance policy...

• Yeah, I'm having a week's holiday afterwards too. In the eyes of the insurers, does a marathon fall into the same category as skiing or climbing, for example? I must admit that sifting through loads of small print doesn't thrill me either but will probably have to be done. Would be useful to know the experiences of others.
  • Just a quick heads up - Red Sox tickets are now on sale.  I got mine yesterday, going to the game Sunday afternoon image

• Thanks Phil. Think I'll have some of that myself.

• Great, thanks for the info! I understood there wasn't a game at a convenient time but this is brilliant. Just bought two tickets for the Sunday afternoon!

For something to do in the USA when you don't want to walk around lots, this is ideal. It'll also take you out of your mental box for a few hours the day before the marathon. I don't have a clue about baseball so I'd better get to reading!

• http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2016-boston-marathon-celebration-jacket-revealed

Just seen this. Well that's one thing I won't be bringing home. I take it they won't sell the yellow and blue one alongside it...

• Sounds a good plan, have now also booked for Red Sox on Sun afternoon

• A big chunk of time has passed - what's new guys? I had a touch of the Radcliffes last week, turned out to be norovirus. A few days off here and there, for that and a slight calf strain. The 24 week (as opposed to 18 week) plan was supposed to account for this kind of thing, so I'm not so flappy about it.

Looking at the ole training log though, I've not done back to back high mileage weeks to speak of, thanks to said setbacks. Not sure if that matters, just got to have an eyes-down attitude over the next few weeks and hold on tight before taper time.

LT and Chris, how are your respective ailments? Hope everyone's doing ok

• Sorry to hear you’ve not been so well Aleik, hopefully the virus is on its way out.  Sounds a sensible idea to put a few extra weeks in the plan and I did exactly the same thing – following an 18 week plan + 3 extra (2 to allow for taper for races and 1 for injury / recovery).

My ‘A’ race where I’m trying to nail my first sub 3 Paris on 3 April, is a couple of weeks before Boston.  The training has been going well, I’m following the P&D 55-75 mile a week plan.  Luckily despite running more miles than I ever thought possible (I did 310 in January vs my previous highest ever month of 220) I’ve remained injury free and only really suffered from fatigue.  Having been able to use the extra weeks as significant cut back weeks has meant that I’ve come back rejuvenated and so far, touch wood, seem to be hitting the paces I need to.

Its quite scary how quick it has come round though, I’ve this week and next left of ‘proper’ training, then a cut back week with a local half at the end of it that I want to nail, then I’m into 3 weeks of taper for Paris followed by two weeks of recovery for Boston.  I’m really hoping that the sub 3 comes in Paris meaning that I can just run and enjoy Boston.  If I miss it by  a little bit it then Boston could be a very different run!

• I think you do right. Boston is one of those where you're encouraged to "take it all in", as Helly D says the whole town gets involved and there's always something to draw your interest en route.

Seems your longer prep period has maybe allowed you to adjust to a high January without injury! Kind of similar for me, except I'm reading all the right books at the wrong times right now - barefoot running for the natural, injury-free win, but woe betide if I try implementing anything new while hitting 90 miles a week... :S Perhaps that's one for the summer!

Yeah the virus is history now thanks - after 5 days off had a couple of piddly runs then was double fresh for a 24 miler on Monday (a nice feeler for race day, and an assurance that training struggles will eventually end and make way for a grand old day fingers crossed!). Also champing at the bit to make up for lost time, but won't be foolish as I'm now aching from Monday!

I bet you're well on for under 3 hours at Paris. Mind those cobbles at the start!

• I'm ok thanks Aleik. The ailments seem to be holding up well, touch wood.

Glad to read the virus has cleared up and your back out running.

Like the idea of adding a few extra weeks into the plan for tapers, recovery and injury. I've had a couple of half marathons recently off virutally no taper and they've gone ok without being anything sensational. One resulted in a near two minute pb whilst the other was done at marathon pace on a course that was downhill and flat first half, hilly second half, similar in profile to Boston. Got a 30km race in a few weeks time and that'll probably be it in terms of races before the big day, apart from the Boston 5k which will be a gentle jog round.

How about you guys? Anymore prep races coming up? Anyone entered in the Boston 5k race?

• Looks like good form! Imagine how you'll get on after a taper...electrifying!

The P&D programme I'm on seems to advocate races up to your eyeballs, and I'm going for what's nearby and convenient instead of spacing them out, X weeks prior to race, etc. Sooo 15 and 10 mile races on consecutive weekends...will ease off the former as it's an unaccustomed trail race...the 10 miler is a yearly thing I'd like to PB on.

10k races supposed to be dotted about here and there too...chocca block. So I'll err on the cautious side and ditch one or two, just doesn't feel right alongside high miles tbh
  • Aleik - which P&D are you following?  I'm doing the 18w 55-70.  You should pop over to the P&D thread, lots of us on there sharing our training.

I know what you mean about the races.  I'm only doing one HM as a race in the build up I don't see the point of paying to enter a race which I'm not going to be able to give 100% to (given how knackared my legs are!) so genearlly the 9-11 miles with 5-8 at race pace have been me virtually racing i.e. race pace effort but on my own!

• I'm on 70-90+ miles, 24 weeks. 90 feels like the edge of a precipice, really have to be careful and do most of it slowly! Knee's a bit niggly...

Will have a gander at the thread, maybe lurk a while! Cheers.

7 weeks on Monday image
  • Wow, that's big weekly mileage Aleik, at least for me. I'm doing a P&D hybrid between the 18/55 and 18/55 to 70 plan and would struggle to do more to be honest.

Seven weeks on Monday indeed. Beginning to seem a lot more real now. 

Look after the knee.

• Thanks very much, look after yourself too...if we're going the whole way there it may as well be in one piece! Good luck with the races, will probably check in over the next week or two
  • Hi guys, hope you don't mind me joining in! I'm also doing P&D but only up to 55 mile plan. Still a jump up for me and finding things pretty tough/intense at the moment, always feel like I'm staring over the precipice of disaster! Just did my 2nd 20 miler today, tried to do a hilly route to prepare for Boston. Went well except after about 15 miles when I hit some hard hills I couldn't keep my HR in the prescribed zone, and then it wouldn't come down for final couple of milesimage

Have had a similar experience with races, so far I did a 10k end of Jan and a half last weekend and got PBs of 1-2 mins. Didn't really taper properly though as was focussing on training plan. Have Surrey Half in 2 weeks time, hopefully can eke time down a bit more. Also entered Boston 5k but am just going to jog it!

I also had norovirus recently, only good thing is it got rid of 4lb weight which has stayed off since - every little helps!image
  • Welcome Nicole!  I was trying to think where I knew your name from, but then realised it was from the thread back when we were waiting to see if we'd been accepted or not.

Well done on 20 miles of hills, I did 14 of hills on Wednesday night and my recovery run yesterday wasn't at all pretty, my legs were battered.  Not sure I'd have wanted to do 20 miles of them!

Sods law, that having written two days ago how I'd managed to remain injury free I got hit with cramp last night, ironically not running but going upstairs!  Luckily I managed to catch it quickly so whilst I've got a very very sore bit of calf it is quite isolated and luckily doesn't seem to have done anything like the damage that my last cramp (which was 18 months ago) did which was the worst pain I've ever experienced and left me unable to run for over a month the muscle damage was so severe!  I'm going to have to be extra careful now with races just around the corner.

Its all getting very real now, I'm a pacer at the Kingston Half this weekend, then its the last week of hard training before a slight cut back / taper week for the Surrey Half - I might see you there Nicole. Then the 3 week taper for Paris followed by two weeks of recovery for Boston.  Eek!

• Hi Nicole and welcome.

I know what you mean about P&D. There are times when I feel like I'm going to have to take a few days off but then a recovery day and easier runs come along and I'm fine again. I think it's a great training plan, helped me improve my marathon time by 14 minutes last year (same course 2015 & 2014). Not only that, but I just felt much stronger over the final 6 to 8 miles as opposed to suffering in the latter stages the year before.

Phil - hope the cramp's ok now and you were able to pace the Kingston Half this weekend.

Recently finished reading a book called 26.2 Miles To Boston by Michael Connelly. Each chapter represents a mile of the course which the writer describes in detail as well introducing anecdotes and some of the history of the race. Not sure if some of it's a bit hyped up but it does give you a feel for the thing. 

22 miles for me this morning and a decent negative split. Hope everyone got some good running in this weekend.

• Phil - thanks and hope your leg gets better! I know how painful this can be, used to suffer excruciating calf cramps during both my pregnancies, waking up in utter agony! Took ages to release the muscle and then it would feel deeply bruised for days. Hope the pacing went well, which time were you pacing for? Hope to see you at Surrey Half!

Hi Theodor, thanks also for the welcome, and glad it's not just me struggling a bit! This is actually my 3rd attempt at P&D, but both previous times I've suffered injuries, partly I think because I didn't have a good enough base before starting the programme. The first time I attempted the full programme (5 runs a week) but ended up on the injury bench with peroneal tendinitis. Last time I modified it slightly to 4 runs a week (cutting one of the recovery runs) but it was still too much for me and that time had post tib tendinitis. Still managed to get back in and BQ at Manchester with some very hard rehab work, but on just 3 runs a week. The post tib thing settled but has never gone away, most of the time it doesn't bother me much but when I push the speed it becomes quite uncomfortable, still nothing that is stopping me. This time I took care to build my mileage base and to tweak back up to 4 X runs a week which I've been ok with. So still doing slightly under the official P&D (again just missing 1 recovery run, but everything else the same. My highest mileage week will be 47 miles.

Well done on the 22 miles! Managed to put out a 14 today, after the 20 on Friday. Feeling nervous about next Sat, this is the 18 miles with 14 at MP!! image
  • We can now say that we are running Boston next month....eek!

Anyone know if there are kilometre makers as well as mile markers?

Getting nervous about these infamous hills, despite living in the Pyrénées where nowhere is flat. 

• Is anyone else heading out to boston on their own?
  • Elizabeth - this link suggests that there are signs every mile and 5k along the route:

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/along-the-course.aspx

From what I've read, the hills don't appear to be too bad if you pace it right early on. Having said that, I'd prefer to reserve judgement till I've done it myself. Sounds like you're in a good place to practice.

Msimpson - travelling independently with my partner.

6 weeks tomorrow. Hope everyone's running well and staying clear of injury.

• You are right, Little Theodore. Markers every 5kms. Thanks. 

With regards to the hills, I've just got bank energy, not time!  I've suffered so many times by charging off too fast and regretting it. If I'm conservative on the downhill section then Newton Hills may not seem so bad.  The gradients don't look harsh, they instead appear to be grinding and long. 

5 weeks today and I'll be there.....can't wait. 

Happy training everyone. 

• Was starting to suffer slight crisis of confidence - feeling increasingly exhausted with the intensity of the training and then the weekend before last my P&D 18 miler with 14 at MP didn't go to plan - was chased by an aggressive dog for 2 miles, with it literally jumping at me and trying to bite me. Ran past home and got my husband to take it in the other direction - but was highly stressed and couldn't do more than 10 miles at MP. Took my foot slightly off the pedal last week, ditching intervals and taking off a few miles, with the view to giving myself a decent chance to recover before Surrey Half yesterday.

I've actually been trying to break 1:50 for a half for about 2 years, but yesterday it just all came together and I took 5 mins off my PB, 1:46:26. Really delighted and relieved! I think I'll be OK with that to stick to planned MP for Boston of 8:35/mile. Just what I needed at this stage!

Hope everyone else is doing well - Phil, how did you get on at Surrey? Lovely race, really well run and a great route - would definitely look to do this one again.
  • Congats on a good run Nicole, it was a lovely day for racing and several people from the office (we were one of the sponsors) got PB's too.

Sadly I was a 'DNS' I've picked up an injury and have not run for 10 days.  No idea when I'm going to be able to run again.  I did pop down to the start as its only a mile away from home and I knew a fair few people running but other than that it was *another* day with my feet up... though I have signed up for next year already!

Off to the physio again tomorrow but the last conversation involved discussing how good my travel insurance was.  With Paris in 20 days and Boston in 5 weeks you can imagine I'm pretty nervous at the moment!!

The dog incidnet sounds quite comical though clearly it wasn't.  Hate dogs on runs... nearly as much as I hate injuries! image

• Oh no Phil - so sorry to hear that! Must be so frustrating and stressful. Really hope you get some better news from the physio tomorrow- keep us posted. Is it a new injury or an old one reoccurring?

Yes, dog incident was not fun, I'm pretty scared of them anyway and didn't have a clue what to do. No owner in sight!
  • Excellent stuff Nicole, looks like you're hitting the right form at the right time! If you've had a bit of a dip mileage wise in the last week you may find you've got a bit more push for the last key weeks instead of burning out.

Phil that's shit, especially as you're looking at two races very soon. Would you consider it as a walk/run? Or potentially skipping Paris and putting all your eggs in the Bos-ket? 

I'm in the same boat, my knee thing hasn't gone away but after a couple of physio sessions I've been advised to build up in single mile increments as of tomorrow. Hardly the peak weeks I'd imagined. Can only blame my impatience and monumental errors in judgement.

My only goal now is to somehow start and finish the race in serviceable condition, as summer racing beckons too. Then to treat the whole trip as a holiday. Still looking forward to the race, just gonna live to fight another day.

Good luck with the physio tomorrow Phil

• Thanks Aleik, sorry to hear that you're also on the injury bench though. Hope things improve steadily over the coming weeks. Marathon training always seems like walking on a precipice - trying to push to the max to get those times but so hard not to slip over the edge.

Not sure whether this would be of any help as depends on the nature of the injury, etc - but when I was in a similar boat with an imminent marathon, unable to run but driven mad by just cross training, I booked a few sessions on an Alter G treadmill up in London at a sports physio centre. Best to google if you've not heard of it for full explanation, but basically it is set up to 'alter gravity' ie so you are running as if as low as 20% of your actual bodyweight, which means you can get the benefits of running without most of the impact. Like running on the moon! You end up running at a really fast speed because of the lack of weight -pretty weird!
  • Sounds like a great idea! Thanks